Thai Military Declares Wednesday Holiday To Announce "new Policy"

george

Thai military declares Wednesday holiday to announce "new policy"

BANGKOK: -- Coup leaders declared Wednesday a national holiday and called top civil servants and foreign diplomats to a meeting at military headquarters to update the situations.

The coup leaders declared Wednesday "a holiday for government, banks and the stock exchange in order to quickly restore law and order," according to a statement read on national television.

They told top civil servants, leaders of state enterprises, and university presidents around Bangkok to meet at military headquarters at 9am "to learn about the new policy," the statement said.

An informed source said Gen Sonthi Bunyaratglin, coup leader, has ordered to invite foreign diplomats to attend the meeting to update them about the current situations in the country.

--The Nation 2006-09-20

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

the family of Tuksin are under house arrest and under guard of both the Thai military and the Thai Royal Guard.

Has anyone else heard news of this?

NO NOT LEGALLY BUT Ya'Oh "HE" DUMPED HIS COUNTRY WHY NOT HIS OTHER MISTAKES. still got all of his Emalda Golden shoes into UK. [Assume, duh, what's left bank a/c's etc IS FROZEN----------Oh check out his Isle of Man a/c's. The V/I other off shore a/c's nothing, }

From the Nation:

PM's men detained, wife in Singapore

Many politicians and those with links to caretaker prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra were spread far and wide last night as the news of the coup broke in Bangkok.

First lady Pojaman reportedly flew to Singapore on Monday and it is not known whether Panthongtae, the family's only son, followed his mother last night.

The whereabouts of the PM's daughters Paethongtae and Pinthongta were not known.

Thaksin is in New York at a hotel, where he has reportedly been watching the United Nations General Assembly and keeping abreast of developments here.

Many Cabinet members and other people deemed hostile by the "Council of Administrative Reform" have been detained. Deputy Prime Minister Chidchai Vanasatidya and Supreme Commander Ruengroj Mahasaranont and pro-Thaksin television host Dusit Siriwan are among them.

Head of the Mass Communications Organisation of Thailand Mingkwan Saengsuwan was apprehended by anti-Thaksin troops at Channel 9 compound after it aired a statement of Thaksin, from New York, announcing a state of emergency and relieving Armycommander Sonthi Boonyaratglin from his post.

Deputy Thai Rak Thai leader and caretaker Agriculture Minister Sudarat Keyuraphan reportedly flew to Paris with her family.

Defence Minister General Thamarak Isarangura na Ayutthaya reportedly escaped arrest narrowly and has fled upcountry.

PM's secretary-general Prommin Lertsuridej reportedly made an unplanned landing in the Phillippines during a trip abroad while Bank of Thailand governor MR Pridiyathorn Devekula was in Singapore.

Deputy Thai Rak Thai Party leader Somsak Thepsuthin said he was shocked by last night's coup and never thought it could really happen. A number of TRT MPs may meet today at the party headquarters.

The Nation

I have heard, from a normally reliable source, that the family of Tuksin are under house arrest and under guard of both the Thai military and the Thai Royal Guard.

Has anyone else heard news of this?

They left with him on his current tour.

Word is, they left with a LOT of bags.

May have been tipped off, but hoping they could avoid it.

Thaksin has done the dash. No doubt anything he had of value went with him. Family secured in Singapore, money safely stashed.

2 years in exile then back to Thailand to live in luxury.

Meanwhile the next bunch of crooks is waiting in the wings for their turn at the trough...........

Thailand stumbles on like before :o

Word has it through the Thai side of my family that all Toxin's family's heirlooms/Jewlery/Gold etc, have left the country in 60 suitcases, even though when screening the baggage this was noticed, Customs officers were instructed to let it go through.

Thats a lot of "excess baggage"...I wonder if they paid for it?

"Word has it through the Thai side of my family that all Toxin's family's heirlooms/Jewlery/Gold etc, have left the country in 60 suitcases, even though when screening the baggage this was noticed, Customs officers were instructed to let it go through"

Must have taken quite a while to pack 60 suitcases.

Edited by goatfarmer

....The coup leaders declared Wednesday "a holiday for government, banks and the stock exchange in order to quickly restore law and order," according to a statement read on national television.....

I think the "Holiday" is a little more widespread, my daughter's school is closed, and also my place of work is surrounded by soldiers and no one is allowed entry to the building :o

Word has it through the Thai side of my family that all Toxin's family's heirlooms/Jewlery/Gold etc, have left the country in 60 suitcases, even though when screening the baggage this was noticed, Customs officers were instructed to let it go through.

Yes excellent information and thanks for letting us have this very reliable news.Word has it through the Thai side of my family is that Thaksin has the Thailand's key to the World Bank and while he is in the US will use it to clean out the country's vaults.

You silly sod.

Yes excellent information and thanks for letting us have this very reliable news.Word has it through the Thai side of my family is that Thaksin has the Thailand's key to the World Bank and while he is in the US will use it to clean out the country's vaults.

You silly sod.

LOL :o

I bet you that Thaksin's family, and his money are out of Thailand by now. What do you think?

Just like that of the army generals who call themselves democratic, also their money is outside the country and they also have amassed great wealth from a meager salary WAKE UP! Do not support people who have total disreard for democcratic institutions themselves

"Word has it through the Thai side of my family that all Toxin's family's heirlooms/Jewlery/Gold etc, have left the country in 60 suitcases, even though when screening the baggage this was noticed, Customs officers were instructed to let it go through"

Must have taken quite a while to pack 60 suitcases.

They must be happy they did not leave at the new Airport

otherwise they loose 22 suitcases'

....The coup leaders declared Wednesday "a holiday for government, banks and the stock exchange in order to quickly restore law and order," according to a statement read on national television.....

I think the "Holiday" is a little more widespread, my daughter's school is closed, and also my place of work is surrounded by soldiers and no one is allowed entry to the building :o

here everyone came to work. Business as usually. Well not many phone calls.

The people here are all in party mode.

Hope we can continue till 3 o'clock before party starts....

One salesguy told me he is happy because no traffic jam.

You silly sod.

I heard the same news recently, first a few weeks ago when Pojaman went abroad and again when Thaksin left last week.

Aresenal, you sound a little upset at losing the great leader?

Amazing. I have been up and out walking since 7am and this is the first I have heard of it. What interesting times we live in.

Hands up who has lived in a Country through a Miliatary coup, before?

Not me. WOnder what will happen next...

You silly sod.

I heard the same news recently, first a few weeks ago when Pojaman went abroad and again when Thaksin left last week.

No I'm not upset about Thaksin's departure and if you read my posts you would know I had no time for him (although the majority of rural Thais still support him, an inconvenient fact for many).But the manner in which he was deposed has reduced Thailand to the level of a banana republic.As the editorial in "The Times" put it today, the Thai people deserve better.I wonder whether Khun Abhisit will show the moral courage and leadership now needed:he definitely has the potential.

And by the way if you believe Thaksin smuggled "gold and family heirlooms" out in suitcases, you are another gullible simpleton.If Thaksin wanted to expatriate his wealth, he wouldn't do it that way.

You silly sod.

No I'm not upset about Thaksin's departure and if you read my posts you would know I had no time for him (although the majority of rural Thais still support him, an inconvenient fact for many).But the manner in which he was deposed has reduced Thailand to the level of a banana republic.As the editorial in "The Times" put it today, the Thai people deserve better.I wonder whether Khun Abhisit will show the moral courage and leadership now needed:he definitely has the potential.

And by the way if you believe Thaksin smuggled "gold and family heirlooms" out in suitcases, you are another gullible simpleton.If Thaksin wanted to expatriate his wealth, he wouldn't do it that way.

no thaksin made thailand a banana republic, with the coup they try to go back to normality.

You silly sod.

Thailand can be considered a somtam republic, far superior to a banana one.

If this coup plays out with no bloodshed then I think it's far better than the alternative; namely continued opposition to Thaksin from the middle classes leading to violence between them and upcountry supporters of Thaksin.

Thaksin could never rule Thailand peacefully beacause he doesn't like questions, checks, monitoring. Once Sonti Limtongkun woke the middle-class up to Thaksin's misdeeds his only choice was to accept probing or resign.

Instead he dissolved Parliament to dodge all the questions.

Thai people and the new constitution demand better than this.

Thaksin was only hanging on to protect his wealth. Is there to be bloodshed because of that?