Thai Military Declares Wednesday Holiday To Announce "new Policy"

george

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If the military had not moved to oust Thaksin on Tuesday night, do you think the big PAD rally would have gone off today without bloodshed caused by Thaksin's goons?

Excellent point especially in view of the bloodshed and violence inflicted by Thaksin's goons at the PAD rallies to date.

In some ways I am happythat Thaksin is gone.

However, this is very very bad for Thailand.

1) What about the elections

2) What about business in the local market

3) If the constitution has been suspended, when will it be re-instated

**discussion of the monarchy is against forum rules***

5) Is Thaksin arrogant enough to return to Bangkok, I think yes.

6) How will this effect Thailand's competiveness, especially when both Malaysia and Vietnam are more stable and currently more open to foreign investment.

On a side note, I heard that Thailand has had over 40 coups since Rama 6 Abdicated. This is a disgrace. With a democratic system like this, they are better to bring back an absolute monarchy.

In the final analysis, this coup is an indictment of the Thai people themselves.

God save us from ourselves

**edited by sbk**

Something big regarding Toxin has been expected from several members over the last few months and i made the following quote on the 13th in response to J.K. in another post in " Temasek Insists Shin Deal Legal "

................................................................................

QUOTE(John K @ 2006-09-13 06:08:53)

I have a few questions on this.

First what will happen to Thaksin if this is found to be in violation of Thai law?

Second if Thaksin stages a coup to end democracy does any of this even matter?

QUOTE(marshbags 2006-09-13 07:55:36)

Not a lot.

Toxin will already be out of the country when the minipulation of the constitution and it,s laws, along with his business ethics prior to the deal come out.

He is ( in my view ) at this time shifting as much of his assets abroad he can get his hands on, along with most of his treasured possessions ready for relocation.

The TRT are fully aware of this and are assisting him to achieve a smooth exit while trying to reduce the damage / fallout factor.

It,s already a done deal on the next TRT leader and my betting is on Somkid taking control.

I would have no problem with his appointment as i reckon when the change over is finalised and confirmed, there will be many changes for the better and a cleansing of the TRT party.

Toxin is no longer in the position of controllling the military / police to such an extent that he will be able to implement such an action. ( coup )

Also Thai society is no longer living in the past, has a different mind set, are educated and will not tolerate it as in years gone by.

Another dictator comes to mind when i see Toxin by the name of Marcos and he will suffer the same fate and karma, please ................................................................................

......... who ever the power that be is.

As for coming back after a year ?????? , forget it because once his past misdeeds and abuse of power start to surface, this in turn will consequently lead to much more abuse being exposed than anyone of us can imagine.

In my humble opinion

marshbags

................................................................................

QUOTE(loaded 2006-09-13 09:58:06)

Thaksin owns a personality that few of us would understand. it's motivated 100% by greed and he will do anything and everything to maintain power and the ability to suck this country. Look at Marcos, it took the US to tell him to leave before he packed his bags and he had sucked his country a lot longer and deeper than Thaksin.

Thaksin will be around for a quite a few years more

quotes ................................................................................

..................................................ended

To LOADED and all his fellow Toxin supporters

This is not a gloating response but a show of support and respect for all the Thais who have spent many years in the shadows of this evil man and fought against him in spite of his monoply on freedom.

A peaceful conclusion without innocent bloodshed, Thank God

To all you Toxin supporters, now do you believe it ?????

The shit has finally hit the fan at last, look forward to plenty of true facts now coming out of the reborn polititians. ?????????

The only question before was when it would happen, bearing in mind Toxins attempts to divide the country and creating false senarios to divert attention on a daily basis.

To all fellow anti Toxin supporters this will come as no surprise and common sense has finally won the day for all of us.

My only other observation is that, just maybe, he was allowed to get out before this action was taken with the support of his puppets.

Let us all now hope Thailand and it,s citizens now get the democracy and constitutional changes they deserve.

Expect the country to be handed back to it,s people and a peaceful conclusion with the military taking honours for displaying the courage to bring Toxins rule to an end and stopping the propaganda machine.

IF Somkid is not implicated in past misdeeds along with the TRT party.

Somkid should in my humble opinion now show a different application having been freed to express his observations as he truly believes and re invent the TRT as it was originally formed to do so.

There should now be no doubt that Toxins police are no longer running the country and cannot rely on the military to do their dirty work.

To all you doubters, wait and see how the next few days unfold, i think you will be re educated by the wise and all the old guard who,s guidance will surely prevail.

In my humble opinion of course.

Toxins karma along with that of his co conspirators is about to begin.

It,s a shame he is out of the country isn,t it.

marshbags :o:D:D

P.S.

Press release information.

The official word from London is to tread carefully with no comment due in consideration to the many U.K. citizens living in Thailand along with their dependants.

Edited by marshbags

Amazing. I have been up and out walking since 7am and this is the first I have heard of it. What interesting times we live in.

Hands up who has lived in a Country through a Military coup, before?

Not me. WOnder what will happen next...

I was here in 1992 during the last coup. Tanks on the street, soldiers with guns..business as usual in Nana Plaza et al.

No need to worry, same old story different day. This has more to do with certain parties wanting their turn at the trough, than Democracy or fighting corruption. There are some very large infrastructure projects to be awarded, and they want to be in power when the Projects go out for Tender. Thaksin does not want to give up his turn at feeding at the trough, so the others have to muscle in and drag him off.

Have a good time, this is great, the Baht has dropped 1% so we have 1% more to spend. Expect that when the dust settles, bars, clubs, and petrol stations will be able to stay open all night and a return to the good old days before Thaksin.

"Word has it through the Thai side of my family that all Toxin's family's heirlooms/Jewlery/Gold etc, have left the country in 60 suitcases, even though when screening the baggage this was noticed, Customs officers were instructed to let it go through"

Must have taken quite a while to pack 60 suitcases.

They must be happy they did not leave at the new Airport

otherwise they loose 22 suitcases'

:o:D:D:D

Wednesday a surprise national holiday; urgent meetings for some

BANGKOK: -- Government offices, the stock exchange and banks were ordered to close Wednesday, following Tuesday night's coup d'etat in order to restore law and order.

On Tuesday there was no national holiday on most Bangkokians' calendars and personal diaries.

Declaring Wednesday a national holiday, the coup leaders--heads of the three branches of the armed forces and the Royal Thai Police--ordered senior civil servants, university rectors and state enterprise officials to meet at military headquarters Wednesday morning at 9am.

Diplomats have also been invited to the special meeting, which will be the first opportunity for the country, in effect, to meet its new leaders.

The Administrative Reform Council is comprised of the commanders of the three armed forces and the national police chief.

The council is assuring the public that its presence on the political stage will be for a limited period of time.

--TNA 2006-09-20

Hi there guys, I hope all is holding up well over there, I am back here in Australia watching from the sideline.

My Thai girlfriend is here also and is very worried and would like to read about it in thai, could someone please post a good web address to keep up with the latest on this situation, in thai language so she can keep up with it all..

Our thoughts go out to all and i hope things do not esculate. :o:D

it's about time Toxin was booted out on his arse where he belongs.

Cheers

Ling Noi

Word has it through the Thai side of my family that all Toxin's family's heirlooms/Jewlery/Gold etc, have left the country in 60 suitcases, even though when screening the baggage this was noticed, Customs officers were instructed to let it go through.

Thats a lot of "excess baggage"...I wonder if they paid for it?

Yes excellent information and thanks for letting us have this very reliable news.Word has it through the Thai side of my family is that Thaksin has the Thailand's key to the World Bank and while he is in the US will use it to clean out the country's vaults.

You silly sod.

By flaming you only make yourself look stupid

However, if YOU had an inkling that all your possessions were gonna get siezed then I presume that YOU would do nothing about it and walk away Mr.Einstein?

I am not the only person to have heard this

Wednesday a surprise national holiday; urgent meetings for some

BANGKOK: -- Government offices, the stock exchange and banks were ordered to close Wednesday, following Tuesday night's coup d'etat in order to restore law and order.

On Tuesday there was no national holiday on most Bangkokians' calendars and personal diaries.

Declaring Wednesday a national holiday, the coup leaders--heads of the three branches of the armed forces and the Royal Thai Police--ordered senior civil servants, university rectors and state enterprise officials to meet at military headquarters Wednesday morning at 9am.

Diplomats have also been invited to the special meeting, which will be the first opportunity for the country, in effect, to meet its new leaders.

The Administrative Reform Council is comprised of the commanders of the three armed forces and the national police chief.

The council is assuring the public that its presence on the political stage will be for a limited period of time.

--TNA 2006-09-20

I hope it,s business as usual Thursday (21st ) as i want to go to Nong Khai for my new i year visa or if not yet another extention ( 4 already )

The stamps will surely take up a lot of room in the passport if this occurs every renewal.

I went down today from Udon but was told it was closed just for today ( 20th ) but never mind, no problem due to more serious / important news is going on.

I had to go just in case as i,m due to report.

Can you let us know if any further news on the holiday is pulblished or posssible further ext. of the

one day, please George.

Thanks as always to yourself and Thai news mods for the informative posts and updates.

Edited by marshbags

Most Thai TV stations are broadcasting the usual programs, as if nothing happened. CH 11 has good video coverage of what is happening around gvt house. Why are CNN and BBC still blacked out on UBC?????

Edited by Netfan

Why are CNN and BBC still blacked out on UBC?????

Because they only want to tell their side of the story. Thai media is under control of the military so they will only tell what the military want's to tell.

The military probably doesn't want Taksin to have access to speech-making abilities that touch the Thai people. He IS outside the country and the foreign media are probably champing at the bit to interview him. The military onviously want to the cut off the head of TRT, which they have done, but don't want him having access to his following until their control is well established. Him insisting he's still in powwr on the BBC or CNN would not help the situation. I never thought I'd say it, but I agree with a military coup and press censorship in this instance...as one polician said, almost anything is better than what Taksin was doing.

I wonder what he thinks of crackdowns now?

Most Thai TV stations are broadcasting the usual programs, as if nothing happened. CH 11 has good video coverage of what is happening around gvt house. Why are CNN and BBC still blacked out on UBC?????

Because UBC belongs to Shin Corp - The military council (interim junta?) cannot afford the risk that Toxin has a back door route in to control the broadcasts - remember UBC is beamed down from a satellite owned by Shin Corp

Word has it through the Thai side of my family that all Toxin's family's heirlooms/Jewlery/Gold etc, have left the country in 60 suitcases, even though when screening the baggage this was noticed, Customs officers were instructed to let it go through.

Thats a lot of "excess baggage"...I wonder if they paid for it?

Yes excellent information and thanks for letting us have this very reliable news.Word has it through the Thai side of my family is that Thaksin has the Thailand's key to the World Bank and while he is in the US will use it to clean out the country's vaults.

You silly sod.

By flaming you only make yourself look stupid

However, if YOU had an inkling that all your possessions were gonna get siezed then I presume that YOU would do nothing about it and walk away Mr.Einstein?

I am not the only person to have heard this

Is exposing gross stupidity flaming? Quite apart from the silliness of your original post, you also display your ignorance of how Thailand treats deposed leaders.Siezing assets does not form part of it, witness General Suchinda etc.

Thaksin has done the dash. No doubt anything he had of value went with him. Family secured in Singapore, money safely stashed.

2 years in exile then back to Thailand to live in luxury.

Meanwhile the next bunch of crooks is waiting in the wings for their turn at the trough...........

Thailand stumbles on like before :o

Best short synopsis I have seen. Arsenal is quite right too. One or 2 years living it up in Paris & he can return hoime as "Elder Statesman" ready to get fat contracts for his children. hel_l he might be PM again - one never knows. That Chidchob is at the center of the controversy is no surprise either. We have recycled this fellow once too many already. Good riddance.

I think it is "gunner".

Edited by dotcom

Is exposing gross stupidity flaming? Quite apart from the silliness of your original post, you also display your ignorance of how Thailand treats deposed leaders.Siezing assets does not form part of it, witness General Suchinda etc.

Yeah, but on the contrary look what they did to Thanom and Prapas in 1973. Granted, they kept millions, but several hundred million were confiscated from them. hel_l, they even seized several tens of millions from Sarit's estate, after it came out how much he had stolen (a lot had to be left for his dozens of minor wives -- I wonder if the outcome of *that* case is recorded somewhere convenient?).

In more recent years, you're right though <sigh>. Just look at Suchinda.

Thaksin has done the dash. No doubt anything he had of value went with him. Family secured in Singapore, money safely stashed.

2 years in exile then back to Thailand to live in luxury.

Meanwhile the next bunch of crooks is waiting in the wings for their turn at the trough...........

Thailand stumbles on like before :D

Best short synopsis I have seen. Arsenal is quite right too. One or 2 years living it up in Paris & he can return hoime as "Elder Statesman" ready to get fat contracts for his children. hel_l he might be PM again - one never knows. That Chidchob is at the center of the controversy is no surprise either. We have recycled this fellow once too many already. Good riddance.

I think it is "gunner".

Now the smelly stuff is about to fly all over the place, just wait for the exposure of the rats jumping off the Titanical ship.

Toxin has gone to ground abroad and left his co conspiritors to face the turmoil and responsibility.

" Carry the can " you puppets who trusted in the now exiled master.

It couldn,t happen to a more deserving set of cronies.

Edited by marshbags

Hands up who has lived in a Country through a Miliatary coup, before?

Not me. WOnder what will happen next...

Not much. TIT!

I have been through 2 coups in Thailand and one in the Philipines. Thailand's are much safer. :o

I have gone through a coup here and the Suharto collapse in Indonesia. This is an internal matter to the Thais, and will be resolved. Nothing to worry about. No major disruptions of anything will occur.

Because UBC belongs to Shin Corp - The military council (interim junta?) cannot afford the risk that Toxin has a back door route in to control the broadcasts - remember UBC is beamed down from a satellite owned by Shin Corp

Hey Gaz. Don't know how long you have been here. Toxin doesn't own UBC. Several years ago a second fixed line telecom was formed to lay fiber optic in BKK & become a CLEC. It's name was Telecom Asia. Some years later "Orange" (France Telecom) merged it's assets with Telecom Asia - dumped the old name & became "True Corp". About a year ago "True Corp" purchased all the shares of the pubically traded "UBC" cable & satellite television operator.

Maybe older hands can correct me but Toxic's main assets are/were Shin Corp. Shin Satellite & AIS - Thailand's Number One mobile phone service provider.

You might want to check your facts before trying to educate people who have been here less time than you (have).