Thai Military Declares Wednesday Holiday To Announce "new Policy"

george

Hi there guys, I hope all is holding up well over there, I am back here in Australia watching from the sideline.

My Thai girlfriend is here also and is very worried and would like to read about it in thai, could someone please post a good web address to keep up with the latest on this situation, in thai language so she can keep up with it all..

Our thoughts go out to all and i hope things do not esculate. :o:D

it's about time Toxin was booted out on his arse where he belongs.

Cheers

Ling Noi

Try www.thairath.com

GreetZ,

Pujai

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The leader of Thailand's military coup, Gen Sonthi Boonyaratglin, has said a new PM would be named within two weeks.

"We have two weeks. After two weeks, we will step out," Gen Sonthi told a news conference. He said coup leaders were considering candidates.

The figurehead of Tuesday night's bloodless coup made the assurance at a news conference in Bangkok.

Coup leaders have said PM Thaksin Shinawatra's alleged corruption and divisiveness forced them to act.

from http://news.bbc.co.uk

For those of you unaware, here is the full text, in English from the leaders of the military coup:

This is the full text of the statement read on Thai TV on Wednesday by Army chief Gen Sonthi Boonyaratglin, following Tuesday's coup:

Dear fellow countrymen and women, the Administrative Reform Group Under the Democratic System with the King as the Head of State, has successfully seized the administrative power.

As a result, the constitution of the Kingdom of Thailand , the Senate, the House of Representatives, the Cabinet, and the Constitution Court have ceased to exist.

In this connection, the Administrative Reform Group Under the Democratic System with the King as the Head of State - comprising the supreme commander and commanders of the armed forces and the National Police Bureau - has the opinion that the administration of the country by the caretaker government has created severe division unprecedented in Thai society.

The practices of corruption and malfeasance and nepotism are apparently rampant within the bureaucracy.

Moreover, there is interference with independent organizations to the extent that they are unable to perform their duties or resolve problems of the country.

If the situation is allowed to continue, national stability and economy will be affected as a whole.

Occasional political activities could have affected the dignity of His Majesty the King - the beloved monarch of the Thai people.

Therefore, the Reform Group Under the Democratic System with the King as the Head of State has the necessity to seize the administrative power in order to control and rectify the situation and bring normalcy to the country and quickly restore the people's unity.

In so doing, the Reform Group Under the Democratic System with the King as the Head of State wishes to reaffirm that it has no intention to become the administrator of the country itself, and it will return the democratic administrative power with the king as the head of state to the Thai people as soon as possible.

The group has pledged to maintain peace and order and preserve the stability of the beloved nation of the Thai people. We hereby request our fellow countrymen and women to stay calm and support our noble aspirations.

Thank you.

_42107574_grab203.jpg

Gen Sonthi appeared in front of portraits of the king and queen

copyright - BBC News 2006

And ONE YEAR till new elections I just understood. I'm all for what happened, but why so long?

The leader of Thailand's military coup, Gen Sonthi Boonyaratglin, has said a new PM would be named within two weeks.

"We have two weeks. After two weeks, we will step out," Gen Sonthi told a news conference. He said coup leaders were considering candidates.

The figurehead of Tuesday night's bloodless coup made the assurance at a news conference in Bangkok.

Coup leaders have said PM Thaksin Shinawatra's alleged corruption and divisiveness forced them to act.

from http://news.bbc.co.uk

Amazing. I have been up and out walking since 7am and this is the first I have heard of it. What interesting times we live in.

Hands up who has lived in a Country through a Military coup, before?

Not me. WOnder what will happen next...

I was here in 1992 during the last coup. Tanks on the street, soldiers with guns..business as usual in Nana Plaza et al.

No need to worry, same old story different day. This has more to do with certain parties wanting their turn at the trough, than Democracy or fighting corruption. There are some very large infrastructure projects to be awarded, and they want to be in power when the Projects go out for Tender. Thaksin does not want to give up his turn at feeding at the trough, so the others have to muscle in and drag him off.

Have a good time, this is great, the Baht has dropped 1% so we have 1% more to spend. Expect

that when the dust settles, bars, clubs, and petrol stations will be able to stay open all night and a

return to the good old days before Thaksin.

"Turn in the trough" spot on , i think thats what its all about, and this the only way the Sonthi mob could get it, because the majority did'nt want them, just a few of the Bangkok Middle and upper class...........money! money! money!

No I'm not upset about Thaksin's departure and if you read my posts you would know I had no time for him (although the majority of rural Thais still support him, an inconvenient fact for many).But the manner in which he was deposed has reduced Thailand to the level of a banana republic.As the editorial in "The Times" put it today, the Thai people deserve better.I wonder whether Khun Abhisit will show the moral courage and leadership now needed:he definitely has the potential.

I agree. Sure Thailand was always far from a perfect democracy, but the way to solve that is to slowly, slowly work to strengthen democratic institutions. Sending the tanks in simply winds the clock back to the days of Field Marshal Phibun and shows the world that Thailand is just a durian republic. It's a sad day for Thailand.

Anybody wanna buy a condo? :o

Whatever happens, i think that for anybody to launch a military coup in a democratic country is guilty of a despicable act, bordering on terrorism and i only hope that the free world are very very careful about dealing with this person Sonti. Why could he not let the normal electoral process take place. I fear that Thailand will head the same way as those low military rulers in Myanmar, then see what happens to Thailand. What right have the military got to take over a country, they were never elected to that position.

I agree I hate to see the miltary taking over, but was it a true democracy? If Thaksin gained even more power where would his form of democracy have lead?

Lets hope they return government to the people soon. The Thais have alays had a peculiar way of doing things (that I have become sort of fond of really) that often work out OK in the end. :o

Here's hoping!

On a side note, I heard that Thailand has had over 40 coups since Rama 6 Abdicated. This is a disgrace. With a democratic system like this, they are better to bring back an absolute monarchy.

In the final analysis, this coup is an indictment of the Thai people themselves.

God save us from ourselves

**edited by sbk**

You obviously know very little about Thailand and its people.

Democracy in Thailand is still in its infancy, vote buying is common...........

Without the Army intervention there is a real danger of a dictatorship.

Take a step back and watch.................

I think you will be surprised at what happens.

It's all par for the course. It's how Thailand functions. Someone once said that people get the government they deserve. Well, as anyone who's lived in Thailand is well aware, there are countless opportunities for corruption throughout Thai society, and these are, by 'virtue' of human nature, seized upon. Let's not pretend that, given such opportunities, we ourselves would be totally immune to temptation. It's ironic, however, that Taksin, who has been declared guilty of curruption on a huge scale, has been seen by the rural communities to have taken many effective steps to reduce corruption at their local level.

World leaders will, of course, stand up and roundly comdemn the coup; what else would they do, as democratically elected leaders? Yet they must know perfectly well that democracy is alien to understanding of Thais. Certainly, it's a concept that fits poorly into the traditions of the past. The process of assimilation will be very prolonged. The West knows this for sure, but a democratic Thailand is strategically very important, so there will be endless patience and help.

Edited by redewenur

On a side note, I heard that Thailand has had over 40 coups since Rama 6 Abdicated. This is a disgrace. With a democratic system like this, they are better to bring back an absolute monarchy.

In the final analysis, this coup is an indictment of the Thai people themselves.

God save us from ourselves

**edited by sbk**

You obviously know very little about Thailand and its people.

Democracy in Thailand is still in its infancy, vote buying is common...........

Without the Army intervention there is a real danger of a dictatorship.

Take a step back and watch.................

I think you will be surprised at what happens.

Takes time and in the case of LOS ...just a little bit longer but absolutely SURE that one day they will make it.....just a little bit............................. :o

Great! Now if we could just do the same to Blair

I was just thinking....."Great! Now if we could do the same to Bush."

Congratulations Thailand.....Just think of it not as a coup but a quick , no frills, impeachment.

I'm visiting on Oct. !0 I'm looking foreward to a wonderful time.

General Sonthi has destroyed democracy in Thailand for now and he and his cronies will fill their coffers for at least one year under a puppet government. Unless there is some further intervention which we all should hope for...

That would include the storm drains full of blood. I personally hope it does not escalate further.

I am quite sure General Prem is acting as a referee seeing as how he is Privy Councillor. Toxic is gone ( for now). We should be grateful.

Well actually Thaksin and his entire family are staying with friends and associates in england but how can someone be labled corrupt in particular not paying taxes for the sale of his business when there is no law that says that he has too and if he hadnt of sacked the coup General would this have happened

Hey thanks for all information. It is like i'm blind at work. Telecommunication is blocked or under control.

Thanks for all the information?

After all the other subjects and comments to them I have read on this website, it is certainly not here that I would look for reliable information. 80% of this board is not worth more the chit-chat of some house maids at the hairdresser or some taxidrivers sitting around waiting for customers.

I admit, it is difficult to get information when all TV stations send the same song and the same pictures. However, there were some very clear announcements on radio this morning (in thai obviously), and having all stations transmitting the same information might have prevented a lot of the usual confusion TV and radio stations create by their commercial-benefit driven way of trying to report the "hottest" news. Although I'm not used to see tanks on the streets, the situation does not really look scary. Remember the 3 or 4 highest ranking participants in this "coup" had an audience with his Majesty the King last night. There is no doubt, the King would never allow them to do anything that is against the people - and he has the right to step in. At work I have seen several (well educated) Thais welcoming the coup.

Word has it through the Thai side of my family that all Toxin's family's heirlooms/Jewlery/Gold etc, have left the country in 60 suitcases, even though when screening the baggage this was noticed, Customs officers were instructed to let it go through.

Thats a lot of "excess baggage"...I wonder if they paid for it?

Yes excellent information and thanks for letting us have this very reliable news.Word has it through the Thai side of my family is that Thaksin has the Thailand's key to the World Bank and while he is in the US will use it to clean out the country's vaults.

You silly sod.

I heard the same news recently, first a few weeks ago when Pojaman went abroad and again when Thaksin left last week.

Aresenal, you sound a little upset at losing the great leader?

No I'm not upset about Thaksin's departure and if you read my posts you would know I had no time for him (although the majority of rural Thais still support him, an inconvenient fact for many).But the manner in which he was deposed has reduced Thailand to the level of a banana republic.As the editorial in "The Times" put it today, the Thai people deserve better.I wonder whether Khun Abhisit will show the moral courage and leadership now needed:he definitely has the potential.

And by the way if you believe Thaksin smuggled "gold and family heirlooms" out in suitcases, you are another gullible simpleton.If Thaksin wanted to expatriate his wealth, he wouldn't do it that way.

I for one support the military in doing things the 'olde' way and seizing power for the opposition.

As long as they do it in a civilized manner ie. no murder, looting, raping or pilaging.

I think the term banana republic is a bit harsh as thailand tends to prefer the softly softly approach, compared with other countries coups.

The opposition partys stood no chance of defeating toxin in elections that would only rigged so TRT/Toxin would have won anyway. Takisin has obviously not won over the generals with his style of leadership and corrupt snake-like ways.

Instead Toxins been given an ultimatum to get the F^ck out of town and leave thailand. The easy option by far.

That would include the storm drains full of blood.

Where on earth did you get that little gem from?

Please stick to the truth.

Hey astral. I was here in 1991. The government is lying to this very day about how many persons were killed. Just like Peru & Argentina - the disappered ones. You are the person who doesn't know what he is talking about. P.S. I don't take orders from you.

P.S.S. Who would "intervene"? Suggest someone who could "intervene"? God Almighty would be my guess.

btw - Since you quote me out of context allow me to post up the full quote: jacka**.

QUOTE(TaxinMeter @ 2006-09-20 17:53:37)

General Sonthi has destroyed democracy in Thailand for now and he and his cronies will fill their coffers for at least one year under a puppet government. Unless there is some further intervention which we all should hope for...

That would include the storm drains full of blood. I personally hope it does not escalate further.

I am quite sure General Prem is acting as a referee seeing as how he is Privy Councillor. Toxic is gone ( for now). We should be grateful.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I will answer my own rhetorical question: The only way this gets "reversed" is if 20 million Issan farmers walk down here with their hoes over their shoulders. I'll bet a lot of young Army recruits didn't think they would be signing up to kill other Thai's. But that is exactly what would happen as the Army brass attempt to hold on to power versus the Issan farmers that would like Toxic back as (Caretaker) PM.

Astral - if you know something - which I doubt - post it.

Edited by sbk

Hey astral. I was here in 1991. The government is lying to this very day about how many persons were killed. Just like Peru & Argentina - the disappered ones. You are the person who doesn't know what he is talking about. P.S. I don't take orders from you.

On here you do! :o

And who told you that we are still in 1991?

You seem to have missed an essential point. In 1991 the audience with the King was 3 days after the coup. This time the audience was at the beginning. Essential difference!

Find us a quote and provide a link from "this very day" where they're lying about this. :o

You may haven't noticed but they're now busy dealing with 2006.

Edited by Tony Clifton

"Word has it through the Thai side of my family that all Toxin's family's heirlooms/Jewlery/Gold etc, have left the country in 60 suitcases, even though when screening the baggage this was noticed, Customs officers were instructed to let it go through"

Must have taken quite a while to pack 60 suitcases.

taxin in uk with family,so say bbc

As I said on another topic...."the ship is not sinking,but the rats have left"

Toxin knew this was coming....and had prepared his bolt hole a long time ago!

Greedy he may be...but stupid he aint.

Indeed indeed. But though he ran with the loot and secured an exit plan during this time out of the country....What a sweet loss of face for him to be at the UN Assembly! With many people expecting him to speak, Toxic Shitwad, representative leader of his country, had to duck out because finally he is deposed and seemingly the whole of the Thai people are not outraged by the power grab. Before a glaring audience of his peers he had to leave, tail tucked between his legs. A loser, rejected by his country.

Karma. Som Nam Nah. Just desserts, etc.

...And now I try to explain to my fellow Americans back home that these are not scary times for me here. It is likely the best solution for a man who, like GW, should have (if only it could be!) been ousted by popular demand for lies, greed, and poor leadership long ago.

And prasie to the Thai people and the Coup leaders for being calm and well spoken. Thankfullnes for the King's unifying spirit. Only in Thailand could a military coup and martial law be the path to setting things right again.

Amen.