Thai Military Declares Wednesday Holiday To Announce "new Policy"

george

Word has it through the Thai side of my family that all Toxin's family's heirlooms/Jewlery/Gold etc, have left the country in 60 suitcases, even though when screening the baggage this was noticed, Customs officers were instructed to let it go through.

Thats a lot of "excess baggage"...I wonder if they paid for it?

Yes excellent information and thanks for letting us have this very reliable news.Word has it through the Thai side of my family is that Thaksin has the Thailand's key to the World Bank and while he is in the US will use it to clean out the country's vaults.

You silly sod.

By flaming you only make yourself look stupid

However, if YOU had an inkling that all your possessions were gonna get siezed then I presume that YOU would do nothing about it and walk away Mr.Einstein?

I am not the only person to have heard this

Is exposing gross stupidity flaming? Quite apart from the silliness of your original post, you also display your ignorance of how Thailand treats deposed leaders.Siezing assets does not form part of it, witness General Suchinda etc.

Wait and see what happens regarding court cases etc.I wouldn't speak too soon.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Apparently the Thaksin family have or are just about to buy a house in London. His elder daughters are in London now and the rest of the family are expected to arrive soon.

Terrific. So we get him? :o

Although I have always loathed Taksin I am also sad for Thailand today.

It is not my country. I am not a Thai national with a vote so my opinion is only that.

Despite probable vote buying tactics many Thais voted for him as is their right. Whether they were fooled by cynical political wiles is not the point.

Virtually all rural Thais I know personally or have talked to in several different areas felt he helped them. Money was forthcoming for much needed roads, School equipment etc.

However much he lined his own nest they felt that some of it filtered through to them. It was their democratic right to choose.

That right was swept away yesterday.

It's not about Taksin. It's about the impoverished Thais with no political voice who have had their right to decide ( however poor those choices may appear ) removed from them.

It doesn't matter how poor or rich you are, you only get one vote. Please spare me the 'impoverished Thais with no political voice'-BS.

These people sell their votes out of greed. And they vote out of greed.

I'm not saying that not everyone else does the same thing, but that is no reason to try to glorify or justify the actions of vote-sellers.

It doesn't matter how poor or rich you are, you only get one vote. Please spare me the 'impoverished Thais with no political voice'-BS.

I'm not saying that not everyone else does the same thing, but that is no reason to try to glorify or justify the actions of vote-sellers.

Try reading the post before going off half cocked. Thai people had the right to vote for Taksin and many of them did. You like me can have an opinion but THAT IS ALL. Whether you like their choice or not is not relevant. The right to choose is precisely that not 'You can choose your Government as long as I like it but because I have guns and tanks we'll do what I want anyway.' That is not democracy.

Taksin may be the nastiest money grabbing worm on the planet but a lot of Thais liked what he gave them and genuinely voted accordingly.

Try reading the post before going off half cocked. Thai people had the right to vote for Taksin and many of them did. You like me can have an opinion but THAT IS ALL. Whether you like their choice or not is not relevant. The right to choose is precisely that not 'You can choose your Government as long as I like it but because I have guns and tanks we'll do what I want anyway.' That is not democracy.

Taksin may be the nastiest money grabbing worm on the planet but a lot of Thais liked what he gave them and genuinely voted accordingly.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I dunno why vote buying is approached on this forum as being done solely by TRT. A person who'd sell his vote wouldn't care who gave him the money, just so long as he recieved payment. Additionally as the vote is private, they could vote anyway they wanted no matter that they were paid.

My wife tells me that in the Thai languages sites she read yesterday many more were complaining negatively about the coup than positive. Many actually respected the man, or at least his money.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I dunno why vote buying is approached on this forum as being done solely by TRT. A person who'd sell his vote wouldn't care who gave him the money, just so long as he recieved payment. Additionally as the vote is private, they could vote anyway they wanted no matter that they were paid.

My wife tells me that in the Thai languages sites she read yesterday many more were complaining negatively about the coup than positive. Many actually respected the man, or at least his money.

Quite. His ability to grab money and power and speak on the world stage was respected by 'the majority' I have no idea how many Taksin votes were 'bought' but can only relate my personal experience that a lot were in his favour genuinely.

Whether that judgement was naive or in error is not the point. If vote buying is making a road so Rubber farmers can get their stuff out and farmers can shift their bananas then so be it.

I'll vote for whoever makes my life better too. The difference is it's fairly unlikely that the British Army will move in and stop it.

In some ways I am happythat Thaksin is gone.

However, this is very very bad for Thailand.

1) What about the elections

2) What about business in the local market

3) If the constitution has been suspended, when will it be re-instated

**discussion of the monarchy is against forum rules***

5) Is Thaksin arrogant enough to return to Bangkok, I think yes.

6) How will this effect Thailand's competiveness, especially when both Malaysia and Vietnam are more stable and currently more open to foreign investment.

On a side note, I heard that Thailand has had over 40 coups since Rama 6 Abdicated. This is a disgrace. With a democratic system like this, they are better to bring back an absolute monarchy.

In the final analysis, this coup is an indictment of the Thai people themselves.

God save us from ourselves

**edited by sbk**

Newbie,

read a book or a newspaper and learn a little about where you are living before spouting off. you dont want to appear foolish now, do you?

Mr. Thaksin has reportedly left NY for London. I suggest they give a 30 days visa on arrival with a possible extension of max. 30 (twice ) and then send him back to Thailand to request a new visa and not allow him back for at least 90 days...

:D:D #

Now that would be karma. Bad news is he has a UK elite card :o

That would include the storm drains full of blood.

Where on earth did you get that little gem from?

Please stick to the truth.

Hey astral. I was here in 1991. The government is lying to this very day about how many persons were killed. Just like Peru & Argentina - the disappered ones. You are the person who doesn't know what he is talking about. P.S. I don't take orders from you.

P.S.S. Who would "intervene"?Suggest someone who could "intervene"? God Almighty would be my guess.

btw - Since you quote me out of context allow me to post up the full quote: jacka**.

QUOTE(TaxinMeter @ 2006-09-20 17:53:37)

General Sonthi has destroyed democracy in Thailand for now and he and his cronies will fill their coffers for at least one year under a puppet government. Unless there is some further intervention which we all should hope for...

That would include the storm drains full of blood. I personally hope it does not escalate further.

I am quite sure General Prem is acting as a referee seeing as how he is Privy Councillor. Toxic is gone ( for now). We should be grateful.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I will answer my own rhetorical question: The only way this gets "reversed" is if 20 million Issan farmers walk down here with their hoes over their shoulders. I'll bet a lot of young Army recruits didn't think they would be signing up to kill other Thai's. But that is exactly what would happen as the Army brass attempt to hold on to power versus the Issan farmers that would like Toxic back as (Caretaker) PM.

Astral - if you know something - which I doubt - post it.

My wife told me on the phone today that TRT supporters bussed down from the provinces are being held back at Lopburi/Saraburi etc. May be confrontations there, and nothing outside BKK is likely to get reported in the western media till after the event. If the numbers bottleneck it might get ugly. Hope not for - all concerned.

I have heard, from a normally reliable source, that the family of Tuksin are under house arrest and under guard of both the Thai military and the Thai Royal Guard.

Has anyone else heard news of this?

his daughter is in london, but Ork, his son, might be in BKK.

house arrest would be in a 50 million baht condo.

"Word has it through the Thai side of my family that all Toxin's family's heirlooms/Jewlery/Gold etc, have left the country in 60 suitcases, even though when screening the baggage this was noticed, Customs officers were instructed to let it go through"

Must have taken quite a while to pack 60 suitcases.

taxin in uk with family,so say bbc

Must have used the same escape paln as the Bin Ladens after 9/11

Bank of Thailand prez was derelict by not freezing Thaksin accounts as well as those of his his family and crony buddies. Therefore, you can bet the past two days they've been pulling money out of Thailand by the bucket load. Years from now, when it's clearly and legally evident that they've been stealing from Thailand, there won't be any frozen accounts from which to seek recourse.

As for the new leaders, I can't help but wax cynical: there just aren't leaders (potential or realized) in Thailand who won't revert to 'business as usual'. Translated: corruption and self-serving graft. It's too ingrained in Thai personality.

Can't you imbeciles spell his name correctly? Taksin (Thai) = Adlof (Austrian) Shinawat (Thai) = Hitler (Austrian) any further questions or comments are superfluous.

Gen. Sonti should go down in history as a GREAT humanitarian!

Adolf, my dear, not Adlof...!

Well, We all make typos.... and I'm glad that rat bastard greedy guy is gone. Fine.

However, Hitler was a bad, bad guy who systematically sought to kill off an entire race or two of people. Taksin is no Hitler. Just a greedy power mongering fool.

Check out Godwin's Law. Basically, if you have to invoke Hitler to add credence to your argument, you've already lost. Hitler's just so over-used. And fortunately there's been just one of those guys.

Just a rambling really. I just heard about the Godwin's Law thing. Hope it catches on. Everybody's calling everybody Hitler these days. It's just getting silly.

Can't you imbeciles spell his name correctly? Taksin (Thai) = Adlof (Austrian) Shinawat (Thai) = Hitler (Austrian) any further questions or comments are superfluous.

Well, We all make typos.... and I'm glad that rat bastard greedy guy is gone. Fine.

However, Hitler was a bad, bad guy who systematically sought to kill off an entire race or two of people. Taksin is no Hitler. Just a greedy power mongering fool.

Check out Godwin's Law. Basically, if you have to invoke Hitler to add credence to your argument, you've already lost. Hitler's just so over-used. And fortunately there's been just one of those guys.

Just a rambling really. I just heard about the Godwin's Law thing. Hope it catches on. Everybody's calling everybody Hitler these days. It's just getting silly.

I agree with you. I just mentioned the typo because it appeared so embarrassing after such a friendly prelude. Comparing Taksin with Hitler is upper bs. Hitler tryed to kill the rich (jews) while Taksin makes part of the rich (chinese). And as much as he may have done wrong or not quite right, he is neither a despote nor otherwise mentally sick. It looks like his time is over and should be over, but after all he did not only bad to the country. I'm not sure whether a hesitating democrat would have resolved the drug problem successfully. At least most western societies with all their sophisticated laws and human rights don't get it under control.

I agree with you. I just mentioned the typo because it appeared so embarrassing after such a friendly prelude. Comparing Taksin with Hitler is upper bs. Hitler tryed to kill the rich (jews) while Taksin makes part of the rich (chinese). And as much as he may have done wrong or not quite right, he is neither a despote nor otherwise mentally sick. It looks like his time is over and should be over, but after all he did not only bad to the country. I'm not sure whether a hesitating democrat would have resolved the drug problem successfully. At least most western societies with all their sophisticated laws and human rights don't get it under control.

Hitler didn't want to annialate the jews because the jews were rich you sod! He used the rampant anti-semitism that existed in europe at the time (and still does to a large extent, check out europe's reaction to the latest hezbolla incident) to incite a people done in by the treaty of versailles. Just by your remarks you have proven my point.

Hitler didn't want to annialate the jews because the jews were rich you sod! He used the rampant anti-semitism that existed in europe at the time (and still does to a large extent, check out europe's reaction to the latest hezbolla incident) to incite a people done in by the treaty of versailles. Just by your remarks you have proven my point.

And who did the anti-semitism at the time target if not the jews? And why did it target the jews if not because all business (and money) was in their hands? I have never been very addicted to history as I live now and in future, so feel free to teach me better.