Is there any chance of Thai Baht getting to 1EUR=43-44 baht again?

July last year 1 euro was 44baht.Nowadays 36-37 per euro.It's basically 5-6000 lower salary over a 1 year period. Any chance of euro getting stronger a bit and that we can see again rate of 43-44 in period of next 3-4 months?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My glass bowl says.... NO

Within the next 3 to 4 months, no way.

Wish it would until my pension age is due (in 2 resp. 5 years) sad.png

I hoped so much that the Greek desaster would end with a big bang (haircut and exit), but the ordeal goes on.

Edited by KhunBENQ

The haircut is inevitable since Greece can't pay. The real issue is that going forward the rest of the Eurozone either continues to support Greece, or it goes under. The Euro is in a world of trouble for a lot of reasons.

In a word

NO.

If I was you OP, I would be more concerned about what currency your pension will be in when the Euro self explodes.

My thoughts.

The sooner it explodes the better.

My pension will then hopefully be in NDM (new Deutschmarks) laugh.png

Thank the Lord us Brits never joined it. At the time we were told we were doomed if we didn't ,just like they keep telling us we are doomed if we leave the EU ,didn't believe them then ,don't believe them now

No one can predict the future or future exchange rates. But I believe the Baht will continue to weaken as the Thai economy is flailing, GDP is down, and the Export figures are almost 4% below last year.

No one can predict the future or future exchange rates. But I believe the Baht will continue to weaken as the Thai economy is flailing, GDP is down, and the Export figures are almost 4% below last year.

Overall the euro continues to have big problems. However to compare many of the European countries to a minnow like the Thai economy is absurd. It really depends more on how strong the economy truly is in the LoS. In fact, It is in a parlous shape as major international manufacturers have severe misgivings and other ASEAN countries are looking a lot better place to be.

IMHO the THB will continue to decline vs. all other major currencies and the central bank has to try to stop the rot, but the real problems are much deeper than any central fiscal manipulation can reach.

Thank the Lord us Brits never joined it. At the time we were told we were doomed if we didn't ,just like they keep telling us we are doomed if we leave the EU ,didn't believe them then ,don't believe them now

Great Britain did more quantitative easing than USA and EU!!!! British pound went down from around 70 to 52 baht, which means: you get ~26% baht less.

Euro went down from roughly 46 to 37: ~20% less.

Between March 2009 and January 2010 the Bank bought £200bn of assets, equivalent to about 14% of GDP to help breathe life into the UK economy following the credit crunch. Then in October 2011, faced with growing warnings of a double-dip recession and a eurozone crisis, policymakers voted to resume QE and pump another £75bn into the financial system, increasing the QE budget to £275bn.

But I agree: 1 currency for so many different countries has been a stupid idea

Great Britain did more quantitative easing than USA and EU!!!! British pound went down from around 70 to 52 baht, which means: you get ~26% baht less.

Between March 2009 and January 2010 the Bank bought £200bn of assets, equivalent to about 14% of GDP to help breathe life into the UK economy following the credit crunch. Then in October 2011, faced with growing warnings of a double-dip recession and a eurozone crisis, policymakers voted to resume QE and pump another £75bn into the financial system, increasing the QE budget to £275bn.

The stupid idea was letting Greece (and Italy, Portugal, Cyprus, etc) fudge their figures so that they were allowed in, without actually dealing with their productivity issues and huge public sector and the related over-spending.

The Euro itself was actually a good idea... (I still think)

The stupid idea was letting Greece (and Italy, Portugal, Cyprus, etc) fudge their figures so that they were allowed in, without actually dealing with their productivity issues and huge public sector and the related over-spending.

That's right,they played hardball with the Greeks hoping they would leave the euro maybe even the EU, there is no mechanism to expell them

So we are stuck with them and they know it,given time they will be left

To sink or swim The German electorate will decide at there next general election if they are willing to keep throwing money at the Greeks.

Would you sooner have your money held in Euros?

When I had my office in NL and worked across EU I was paid in GBP and got 1.4 euro to the pound. Things seemed really cheap. Today it's 1.43 on Oanda.

If you are saying Britain was free to make decisions regarding its own economy and currency - then you are right.

Now, which economies in Europe are doing well and which aren't?

That's what I mean with "many different countries"

Euro for countries with more or less equal economy,~ equal working spirit, ~equal pension age, ~equal fiscal regime,~ equal disciplined government etc.

Germany, Belgium, Luxembourg, Scandinavian countries, Netherlands, Austria, Great Britain, Ireland.

In this case maybe even Switzerland, Norway, Denmark, GB and Sweden would have joined, earlier or later.

But still, Europe was doing fine without the euro.

What we see now, is that GDP grow of 5 last years of EURO-coountries is worse than in England, Switzerland, Norway, Denmark and Sweden !

You may be right about the Baht (I doubt it - look at the high reserves of the BOT), but it will take a long time fot the EURO to recover. No way it will in the next 3-4 months. If anything it will drop to baht 35-36. Obviously, I hope I am wrong, but unfortunately, I doubt it.

Against your better judgement.

You have a Scot to thank for that.

His name_______________ Gordon Brown.

All previous issues, together with political upheavals, none of which have impacted the Baht in the way they should have done in the past.

In a word

NO.

If I was you OP, I would be more concerned about what currency your pension will be in when the Euro self explodes.

My thoughts.

The sooner it explodes the better.

My pension will then hopefully be in NDM (new Deutschmarks) laugh.png

Yes Sir !!

I was hoping for a clean and rapid Grexit . That would have lifted the Euro.

My life pension is paid in Euro and my lifesavings are in Euro in a SIN bank.

When the Greece financial bankrupt started developing five years ago I gave instructions to that SIN bank that should the Euro implode because of the f%^&* incapable Greeks my account was to be converted immediately in DM or whatever "New" EU currency that would include Germany.