Dog repellent

Seismic

Chiangmaiexpat,

if you read my post carefully, you will see I said millions who succumb to illness spread by dogs + rabies (that kills) + road accidents (fatal or otherwise.) I am talking about this planet, and I presume you are a dog-lover who does not want to hear that his pets' species has been responsible for many deaths/sckness over time.

There are some useful working dogs - sheep/guard/police/sniffer; all the rest are a potential danger and a waste of resources and oxygen. After a crying baby, a barking dog is the most stressful noise imaginable.

When Thailand graduates to the big league, it will realise this and protect its citizens. Until then packs of soi dogs roam free attacking/menacing/polluting and causing accidents with no curb like in fully modernised countries.

no, you clearly speaking about thailand. there was nothing about the planet in your post.

What am I doing so different? I just don't get these problems with dogs.

Sure they bark, follow and even chase on the odd occasion..... But I never really feel under threat.

I ride in Mae Taeng, all offroad, so the dogs are bush and village dogs, not Soi.

I adopted a mates way of dealing with the dogs, I try and make friends with them, most you can, some never will. This approach has paid off over the years as I have found a small dog biscuit works better than a stick. However I understand this my not work everywhere and with every dog.....

Valid for me, too, Tonto. But since 2 cycling friends were almost bitten to death (No exaggeration, believe me! Severely injured!) by a pack of 5 obviously (poorly) trained german shepherd dogs in a remote area at the foot of Doi Suthep and only survived by happenstance I always carry an inconspicuous Guardian Angel pepper spray with me.

It also happens from time to time that I'm approached during taking a rest, sometimes even stopped - often on tour in remote areas - by people who simply are curious so far about the lonesome rider but often it made me feel rather uncomfortable especially when I was asked immediately about the content of my panniers, the price of my bike and whether I'm riding alone ...

Never needed to use it for tens of thousends of kms but who ever knows ...

• 1 month later...

Dogs I have come accross understand a big stick. They usually will keep their distance but some more aggressive dogs will get close enough for a good whack to the head. Then those dogs are much less aggressive.

This is true but you dont need to use the stick just wave it about when confronted by any dog that looks as though it would have a go at you.

I have a graphite golf club number 1 driver with the head removed in its own scabboard on the bike and since i have waved it about a time or two I now have no problems with any of the dogs who used to object to me riding past them (I ride out every other day 40/50K

My mate Rob who doesnt have a stick and who I ride out with regularly attracts a lot of interest from barking dogs even though I am usually behind him they never bother me ( I wonder why)

I have only ridden a bike for the last 3ish years around Pattaya and have been chased many times by barking dogs but only bitten once by a particularly nasty dog who was the reason for me getting "Armed so to speak)

But I have been nearely knocked off my bike by the many dogs that congregate around the Dam road area at Mabrachan, not by their being nasty or aggressive but when they decide to shift positions just when I am riding past them

I deal with most of the barkers by just talking to them in a friednly way and for the most part it seems to work out, shouting in an agressive manner is definately non productive in my small experience

The stick holder for informational purposes is a 15 inch peice of blue 1 inch water pipe held on to the handle bars and forks by those small plastic wire thingamyies and even though on the photo it looks close to the wheel it is well away from casuing any problems and is very light in weight

post-28543-0-89076700-1446605118_thumb.p

Edited by n210mp

What is your take on it:

I just recovered from Dengue Fever so a sprint won't save me....I am slow.

Cool weather (dogs may have more power). 2 very big Thai dogs...almost Doberman size) attacked me. I am on the tribar, as a jump was very possible I kept on the tribar, changing position opening the situation for a jump was considered (rightful??) as dangerous. Better hold out and not crash.

I pedal 95-105 rpm so I can't increase speed much.....top was maybe 33-35. If I could have changed gear (it is the combo with breaks not on the tribar) it would have been better.

It seems everything above 30 Thai dogs don't want to attack anymore as it gets difficult for them and you leave their area fast anyway.

And at 110++ rpm they don't want to bite the leg anymore.....

Anyway why eat a old tough bony Farang when you can have a juicy soft McDonald feed Thai?

• 5 weeks later...

It may have already been suggested.., but I always carry a little water pistol on my handle bars. I'm usually a dog whisperer..., but sometimes the dogs even with their extra hearing ability just can't hear me..., then I have to give them a squirt or 3.
In fact a friend used to put piss in his wp..., he reckoned dogs understood that kind of message.
He said that down through time dogs have always marked their territory and other possessions with a squirt or 2 of wee wee..., oui oui.., ne ces't pas ?
true story wink.png

Edited by Sandy Freckle

• 2 weeks later...

Like Tonto21 i get confronted by dogs but its never a problem. First thing don't be scared of them at all and show no fear. As i approach dogs i normally do a little friendly whistle mainly to let them know i am coming and prevent them running out in front of me and causing a crash. When i whistle the dog or dogs may ignore me or start barking or even move towards me barking. The whistle though confuses a lot of them (i whistle with my mouth i don't have a whistle around my neck). Many will bark and shake their tail at the same time. It seems if you whistle you must be friendly. Talk to them and say hello even as they are barking at you.

If a dog does go full speed charging at me shout at it , point at at it and look angry. This will dent the dogs confidence. If it doesnt give up slam you brakes on together with your angry act and it will come to a holt and run back to where it came from. If a dog is really getting on my nerves i will brake u-turn and chase after the dog on my bike. They always run away. Ride the bike directly at the dog or pack of them. They may still bark but they will keep their distance. It can be quiet fun but the main thing is not to be scared of them.

That dog in the shop or anything similar, show no fear and instinctively be ready to kick it and take it on. It will make a tonne of noise but back off. If it got anywhere near biting my leg I would follow it up with an english language verbal bollicking to the owner and they will definitely know i am not happy about their dog.

These methods have worked for me for years and i think they are effective rather than i am just lucky. I cycle everyday.

Exactly what my biking partner tought me, it works 99% of the times but we came to the conclusion that the few real dangerous ones tend to run fast at you whilst not making too much noise.The louder they come, the more show it is.

What am I doing so different? I just don't get these problems with dogs.

Sure they bark, follow and even chase on the odd occasion..... But I never really feel under threat.

I ride in Mae Taeng, all offroad, so the dogs are bush and village dogs, not Soi.

I adopted a mates way of dealing with the dogs, I try and make friends with them, most you can, some never will. This approach has paid off over the years as I have found a small dog biscuit works better than a stick. However I understand this my not work everywhere and with every dog.....

Agree.

We ride our bikes around the village, and have those old fashioned bells on the handlebars. Whenever I come near a problem area with dog(s)...we ring the bells....and never speed up. Just say thai stuff..like "sawadee krab" and small talk. Laugh like a Thai...etc. They soon know you. Works good if you frequent the same neighborhood. If you yell, run, carry or shake a stick, or even point at them threatening......you are destined to be in for a nip.

• 4 weeks later...

I was riding in Nong Khai to the train station last month and felt something on my leg.

It was a dog with a metal muzzle trying to bite me; I was lucky

I have been bitten by a dog, my friend has, and I know some tourists that have.

If you think dogs aren't a common problem; just wait until it happens to you and then you'll change your tune.

It's the same mentality as a motorcyclist that thinks they will never crash; but it's just a matter of time.

I like the club shaft idea, but it's too cumbersome for me.

I think I will try the mace idea on the handlebars.

Edited by ttakata

Mike,

I've only been in Thailand for 10 years but I've ridden about 75,000 kms on my bike and another 30,000 kms on my scooter, but I too have never had a close call with a dog here (I did have a minor bite once but that was in the US.)

I have several friends that have crashed while trying to avoid dogs, but none of them were ever bitten and none of them ever hit a dog. I attribute their accidents to panic and poor handling skills. All the accidents you mention have the same cause.

Bo Sang (near CM) 5 years ago, driving with my misses on the back late at night.

Dog runs out from the side of the road and bites my m/c front tire.

It's teeth drag it's head under the front wheel, we fall off.

Didn't see it until 2 seconds before it's teeth entered the front tire.

Dog died, not sure if broken neck or crushed skull.

We survived, usual cuts and scrapes.

Mike,

I've only been in Thailand for 10 years but I've ridden about 75,000 kms on my bike and another 30,000 kms on my scooter, but I too have never had a close call with a dog here (I did have a minor bite once but that was in the US.)

I have several friends that have crashed while trying to avoid dogs, but none of them were ever bitten and none of them ever hit a dog. I attribute their accidents to panic and poor handling skills. All the accidents you mention have the same cause.

Bo Sang (near CM) 5 years ago, driving with my misses on the back late at night.

Dog runs out from the side of the road and bites my m/c front tire.

It's teeth drag it's head under the front wheel, we fall off.

Didn't see it until 2 seconds before it's teeth entered the front tire.

Dog died, not sure if broken neck or crushed skull.

We survived, usual cuts and scrapes.

Neither one of us has done a scientific study, but based on the reports here, BICYCLISTS (this is the cycling forum, not the motorcycling forum) actually getting bit by dogs in THAILAND seems pretty rare.