Dog repellent

Seismic

Anyone know where I can buy a good name brand spray repellent to send dogs running, Something like "Halt! Dog Repellant Spray"

I just had to take a course of rabies shots after a sneak attack by a hungry pooch.

Preferably something with a 10' spray distance and good for 8-10 shots.

41GxI-ggzUL.jpg

regards

Never seen it locally. Your best bet is probably pepper spray which can be bought at the military equipment stores around Chiang Mai. Also effective against human attacks. smile.png In ten years of frequent riding and hiking I've been bitten only once, so personally I don't think it's worthwhile to carry around this extra baggage. It's also doubtful whether you can get it out of your bag and deploy it before getting bitten.

Cheers, CM-Expat

Edited by chiangmaiexpat

Never seen it locally. Your best bet is probably pepper spray which can be bought at the military equipment stores around Chiang Mai. Also effective against human attacks. smile.png In ten years of frequent riding and hiking I've been bitten only once, so personally I don't think it's worthwhile to carry around this extra baggage. It's also doubtful whether you can get it out of your bag and deploy it before getting bitten.

Cheers, CM-Expat

It would be in an easy to reach place, on belt like the Halt! stuff, or I have also seen velcro attachments for handlebars. Its the first time I have been bitten, but I have had a lot of close calls, So rather than attach a big stick to my Bike, I thought I wouls try to go Hi-tech, As I dont live in Chiang Mai, your reply isnt much help.as far as locations go.

cheers

Cycling about 1200 to 1500 kilometers each month with my MTB ,

what I do with dogs who wants to run with me..:

use your water plastic bottle as a pistol and send a little bit water to them ..

they will stop immediatly to run ..

And it's free ..But don't say that to the good general, he wants we save water ..cheesy.gif

What am I doing so different? I just don't get these problems with dogs.

Sure they bark, follow and even chase on the odd occasion..... But I never really feel under threat.

I ride in Mae Taeng, all offroad, so the dogs are bush and village dogs, not Soi.

I adopted a mates way of dealing with the dogs, I try and make friends with them, most you can, some never will. This approach has paid off over the years as I have found a small dog biscuit works better than a stick. However I understand this my not work everywhere and with every dog.....

Tonto, I envy you your charmed life. I like to excercise but can no longer go for a run in the cool of the evening or early morning because of dogs. I am not just talking wild dogs but those with irresponsible owners who let their dogs scavenge. My friend was bitten in Sattahip by a dog that ran out of a shop. It cost him hours in hospital + medical treatment. The female (Thai) owner was totally unrepentant. How she ever gets a customer anywhere near her shop is a mystery. I make it my policy to never frequent any establishment with a dog especially food shops.

In 50 years time Thailand will recognise it has a dog problem and legislate thus saving the lives of citizens killed/maimed in accidents caused by strays; the millions who succumb to dog induced illnesses spread by these creatures; saving the jobs of those in tourists based industries as punters vote with their feet and shun the risk of rabies/dog-bites.

Tonto, I envy you your charmed life. I like to excercise but can no longer go for a run in the cool of the evening or early morning because of dogs. I am not just talking wild dogs but those with irresponsible owners who let their dogs scavenge. My friend was bitten in Sattahip by a dog that ran out of a shop. It cost him hours in hospital + medical treatment. The female (Thai) owner was totally unrepentant. How she ever gets a customer anywhere near her shop is a mystery. I make it my policy to never frequent any establishment with a dog especially food shops.

In 50 years time Thailand will recognise it has a dog problem and legislate thus saving the lives of citizens killed/maimed in accidents caused by strays; the millions who succumb to dog induced illnesses spread by these creatures; saving the jobs of those in tourists based industries as punters vote with their feet and shun the risk of rabies/dog-bites.

Hey 'mikebell'.... Well compered to you, yes I feel I must have a charmed life... Maybe I am lucky, I only really ride in unpopulated areas... lots of dogs, all pretty vocal.....'strutting' about and trying to look aggressive, but underneath this front most of them, (up here where I ride) fold at the sight of a dog treat or a soft word and an out stretched hand.

I have to admit I have found dogs that have more contact with people in Thailand, those in built up areas can be more aggressive, and less likely to want to be friends, they just don't trust humans anymore, been kicked to many times..... maybe.

It may also be that dogs are very good at picking up fear or nervousness when people come into contact with them and it sets of a nervous/aggressive reaction in dogs.

Maybe the answer is to drag a pork chop on a 10ft rope behind the bike to keep the little buggers at bay!

Sorry, I didn't know you live in an alternate reality where dogs kill millions of people. Which planet is that again?

Cheers, CM-Expat

Chiangmaiexpat,

if you read my post carefully, you will see I said millions who succumb to illness spread by dogs + rabies (that kills) + road accidents (fatal or otherwise.) I am talking about this planet, and I presume you are a dog-lover who does not want to hear that his pets' species has been responsible for many deaths/sckness over time.

There are some useful working dogs - sheep/guard/police/sniffer; all the rest are a potential danger and a waste of resources and oxygen. After a crying baby, a barking dog is the most stressful noise imaginable.

When Thailand graduates to the big league, it will realise this and protect its citizens. Until then packs of soi dogs roam free attacking/menacing/polluting and causing accidents with no curb like in fully modernised countries.

The only close call I've had so far on my bike was a dog coming up from behind and not barking. I felt his nose and whiskers in my leg as he tried to bite. Some Thai was also yelling as he must have seen the dog before me. Dogs aren't so much a problem if you know they are there. Squirting water from a water bottle works great.

I have used the dog Halt shown but back in the U.S. Very effective even at 10' or so. Dog learns that chasing a bike is as rewarding as chasing a skunk and likely cures them of the bad habit for life.

Like Tonto21 i get confronted by dogs but its never a problem. First thing don't be scared of them at all and show no fear. As i approach dogs i normally do a little friendly whistle mainly to let them know i am coming and prevent them running out in front of me and causing a crash. When i whistle the dog or dogs may ignore me or start barking or even move towards me barking. The whistle though confuses a lot of them (i whistle with my mouth i don't have a whistle around my neck). Many will bark and shake their tail at the same time. It seems if you whistle you must be friendly. Talk to them and say hello even as they are barking at you.

If a dog does go full speed charging at me shout at it , point at at it and look angry. This will dent the dogs confidence. If it doesnt give up slam you brakes on together with your angry act and it will come to a holt and run back to where it came from. If a dog is really getting on my nerves i will brake u-turn and chase after the dog on my bike. They always run away. Ride the bike directly at the dog or pack of them. They may still bark but they will keep their distance. It can be quiet fun but the main thing is not to be scared of them.

That dog in the shop or anything similar, show no fear and instinctively be ready to kick it and take it on. It will make a tonne of noise but back off. If it got anywhere near biting my leg I would follow it up with an english language verbal bollicking to the owner and they will definitely know i am not happy about their dog.

These methods have worked for me for years and i think they are effective rather than i am just lucky. I cycle everyday.

Sure they bark, follow and even chase on the odd occasion..... But I never really feel under threat.

I ride in Mae Taeng, all offroad, so the dogs are bush and village dogs, not Soi.

I adopted a mates way of dealing with the dogs, I try and make friends with them, most you can, some never will. This approach has paid off over the years as I have found a small dog biscuit works better than a stick. However I understand this my not work everywhere and with every dog.....

But it will register with dogs and followed up with the same maybe it'll work where's all pepper sprays will do is set the next biker up as an enemy

rijit

if you read my post carefully, you will see I said millions who succumb to illness spread by dogs + rabies (that kills) + road accidents (fatal or otherwise.)

Sure, @mikebell, whatever. As much as I like debate, I don't think I will be able to take you seriously.

@cnxbkkman, my experience is quite similar to yours. While there are some annoying dogs, I don't find it necessary to carry special equipment to handle them. Given that I already carry a hydration pack, tools, spare tube, first aid kit, I am not keen on adding more weight to my pack.

For those who are worried enough to carry extra stuff: spray bottes work great, but make sure they have a range of 2m++.

Cheers, CM-Expat

chiangmaiexpat

​You like to debate but trying to defend the indefensible is too difficult for you so you don't want to take my points 'seriously'.

When one of your family is knocked from her motorbike and rendered unconscious and hospitalised by a marauding dog or you yourself swerve to avoid a dog and plow into a bus queue of students perhaps you will see the seriousness of my points. Perhaps you might dine out at a restaurant where dogs roam the kitchens; a bout of gastro-enteritis might focus your mind. Seeing a 10 year old's face savaged by a stray might not strike you as 'serious' but it does me.

chiangmaiexpat

​You like to debate but trying to defend the indefensible is too difficult for you so you don't want to take my points 'seriously'.

When one of your family is knocked from her motorbike and rendered unconscious and hospitalised by a marauding dog or you yourself swerve to avoid a dog and plow into a bus queue of students perhaps you will see the seriousness of my points. Perhaps you might dine out at a restaurant where dogs roam the kitchens; a bout of gastro-enteritis might focus your mind. Seeing a 10 year old's face savaged by a stray might not strike you as 'serious' but it does me.

'mikebell'..... I think we are coming from different angles on the dog thing here, I am and I think 'chiangmaiexpat' are talking about 'dogs and how we deal with them while on our push bikes'........... And I think this is the thread of the topic as well.

Yes, sure you have a valid point, but we can't save the world from stray dogs sat on the saddle of a mountain bike.....And dealing with the little darlings while out ridding is the topic here..... I think?

Short vid..... and the killer dogs I meet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-X18Pa9HqH8

Edited by Tonto21

Your "points" are a gross exaggeration that do not deserve to be taken seriously, because your depiction of dogs is completely out of proportion.

Yes, stray dogs are a problem in Thailand, mainly from the animal welfare point of view, but also from a public health point of view. However, Thailand has much more serious problems in the latter department.

The threat to cyclists from domesticated (and wild) animals in Thailand is really really small compared to the threat from unsafe roads, traffic, and reckless behaviour.

Being a minor threat, I don't suggest that we ignore it, I just ask to keep it real.

Cheers, CM-Expat

Thank you for your prompt response, CM. It is nice to engage in debate on an intellectual plane instead of the abuse I sometimes get from demented dog-owners.

I cannot find any accurate figures for accidents caused by dogs in Thailand as I don't think other than speed/drink there are any other figures. I have to rely on my own survey/personal experience therefore.

I lead a quiet life and have only a small circle of friends & family. I would put the number at about 20 including neighbours. Besides the example of my step-daughter being rendered unconscious, I have hit a dog running loose which caused damage to my car; had I swerved to avoid it I would have hit a bus speeding past in the outside lane. My nearest neighbour (ironically a dog owner) swerved into a ditch and overturned her car. Last night an acquaintance was tumbled from his motor bike by a dog darting out under his front wheel but suffered mere grazing to his arm and hands. That makes 4 dog-related accidents or 25% of my immediate circle. If this 'survey' was widened to all TV members, I wonder what sort of figures would be thrown up?

I am glad that you acknowledge the threat to health from rabies/dog bites/the unquantifiable lack of hygiene in some restaurants/bars - I watched in horror as our drinks were prepared on a counter top shared by two pet poodles. How many bouts of food-poisoning could be down to dogs and their penchant for nosing round excreta?

Could you kindly add my 40 years of experience in Thailand without a single negative incident with dogs to your survey of devastation? I sometimes wonder why nothing bad ever happens to me while others seem to live under a dark cloud of mishaps and misfortune. Another one of those mysteries of Amazing Thailand, I guess.

Could you kindly add my 40 years of experience in Thailand without a single negative incident with dogs to your survey of devastation? I sometimes wonder why nothing bad ever happens to me while others seem to live under a dark cloud of mishaps and misfortune. Another one of those mysteries of Amazing Thailand, I guess.

Amazing indeed! In 40 years of traveling on the 5th or 6th most dangerous roads in the world you have never witnessed or known someone who has had a bad experience caused by dogs. I really must get me some of those rose-coloured spectacles.

There weren’t nearly as many roads or cars back in the 70s and 80s so I am guessing the road stats weren’t so bad back then. I have seen a number of dogs killed by reckless humans but never the other way around and I somehow doubt the color of my glasses have had anything to do with the way my life has turned out or would help you to see things more clearly.

I wish there were something to repel violent, hateful, aggressive humans and save dogs from abuse.

Edited by villagefarang

Living in E_San, I speak with them;

my favorite phrase is :

" Bo kin farang, bo sep " cheesy.gif

Village or bush dogs aren't a problem but I don't like they run with me because they can stop just in front of my bicycle and I can fall down so I prefer to send to them some water from my plastic bottle .

Amazing indeed! In 40 years of traveling on the 5th or 6th most dangerous roads in the world you have never witnessed or known someone who has had a bad experience caused by dogs. I really must get me some of those rose-coloured spectacles.

Mike,

I've only been in Thailand for 10 years but I've ridden about 75,000 kms on my bike and another 30,000 kms on my scooter, but I too have never had a close call with a dog here (I did have a minor bite once but that was in the US.)

I have several friends that have crashed while trying to avoid dogs, but none of them were ever bitten and none of them ever hit a dog. I attribute their accidents to panic and poor handling skills. All the accidents you mention have the same cause.

If a dog wants to chase me, I slow down and let it chase. That allows me to remain calm and focus on the road as well as the dog. If you speed up while turning around to watch the dog, you're increasing your chances of an accident. That's your fault. Don't blame the dog.

As for illnesses caused by dogs, you're making stuff up.

el jefe -

'As for illnesses caused by dogs, you're making stuff up.' Two minutes research and :

'Diseases that dogs spread to humans fall into two main groups, namely parasitic infestations, and bacterial or viral infections.

The main types of diseases which people can pick up from dogs are rabies, salmonella, campylobacter, giardia, cryptosporidium, roundworm and ringworm.

This bacterium causes intestinal infections and can be transferred easily from dogs, especially puppies, to humans.

Symptoms

Abdominal cramping and pain, diarrhoea, which is sometimes bloody, nausea and vomiting, as well as fever are all symptoms of this kind of bacterial infection, which can cause severe dehydration.'

Does this sound familiar?

'All the accidents you mention have the same cause.' Dogs running loose. It is nothing to do with poor handling skills/panic. If a dog launches itself under your wheels without warning Giacomo Agostini would struggle to stay upright. Swerving to avoid killing a living thing is instinctive and cannot be trained into a would-be driver. Your several friends that have crashed are adding to my tiny survey. What percentage of your friends have had these accidents? As stated earlier I reckon it's about 25% in my circle. I bet there isn't a village in Thailand where a quarter of the population has had or knows someone who has had a dog-related accident.

el jefe -

'As for illnesses caused by dogs, you're making stuff up.' Two minutes research and :

'Diseases that dogs spread to humans fall into two main groups, namely parasitic infestations, and bacterial or viral infections.

The main types of diseases which people can pick up from dogs are rabies, salmonella, campylobacter, giardia, cryptosporidium, roundworm and ringworm.

This bacterium causes intestinal infections and can be transferred easily from dogs, especially puppies, to humans.

Symptoms

Abdominal cramping and pain, diarrhoea, which is sometimes bloody, nausea and vomiting, as well as fever are all symptoms of this kind of bacterial infection, which can cause severe dehydration.'

Does this sound familiar?

'All the accidents you mention have the same cause.' Dogs running loose. It is nothing to do with poor handling skills/panic. If a dog launches itself under your wheels without warning Giacomo Agostini would struggle to stay upright. Swerving to avoid killing a living thing is instinctive and cannot be trained into a would-be driver. Your several friends that have crashed are adding to my tiny survey. What percentage of your friends have had these accidents? As stated earlier I reckon it's about 25% in my circle. I bet there isn't a village in Thailand where a quarter of the population has had or knows someone who has had a dog-related accident.

"What percentage of your friends have had these accidents?"

Maybe 2%.

"If a dog launches itself under your wheels without warning ... "

Yes, in that case maybe the dog is at fault. If you panic and crash without hitting anything, then it's rider/driver error.

The number of people I know who have caught any of those diseases from a dog is exactly zero.

You're allowed to hate dogs, but for the rest of us there are much bigger problems in the world.

Mike, I sympathise with your situation. However, perhaps your sample is not representative.

For myself:

8 yrs in Thailand, 30 in Asia.

Wife nipped by dog 14 yrs ago, but in Maui.

One cyclist friend crashed avoiding a dog.

Not dogs, but I've accidentally run over a chicken, and a friend nailed a cat. Neither of us ( cyclists) tried last second avoidance or crashed.

Of the diseases you mentioned, I contracted Giardia - from drinking stream water in Australia.

I don't claim my experience has been wholly representative, but seems anecdotally similar to the majority here.