Vietnam VOA

Scouse123

Information purposes.

I am just back last couple of days from Hanoi and Halong Bay after a week.

I arrived at the new Noi Bai airport terminal in Hanoi. The place is well run and efficient and actually bright and cheery unlike the old airport.

Immigration was quick and also efficient. I was asked how long I intended to stay and a stamp was put in my passport with a date of 15 days written under it.

There are no arrival or departure cards inserted into your passport. We were asked to fill out a health certificate on board the aircraft and hand it in at immigration stating we had not been to certain African countries within the last few weeks where Ebola was present. A stamped receipt was given back to us.

I went on business and asked a Vietnamese friend, who owns four travel shops in Hanoi the situation on extended stay. He said that was easy for me as he would issue an invitation letter for however long I wished to stay within a reasonable time frame such as 1 month or 2 months.

I am not 100% on this (as it does not apply to my circumstances) but I believe three months visas are available. I believe by the actions now being taken regards property in Vietnam, retirement visas will not be far away.

I further asked about the Royal Thai Embassy visa situation and he is presently looking into and checking on the double entry visa for expats and what documents are required. He did say he knew of others who have applied without incident.

New laws already passed in Vietnam which take effect from this next month will allow foreign ownership of land and property to foreign nationals in their own name and also for larger business projects.

A quick visit to Halong bay impressed me tremendously. New building works for hotels are taking place but the place does not look like a building sites. Construction areas were as neat and orderly as they can be.

A giant man made beach running the length of the old harbour area is well underway with beach bars. A new harbour area for tour boats is already finished. Reclamation along the water has taken place and a six star hotel is being built there along with million dollar waterfront apartments. These projects are well on their way to completion. A waterfront funfair and brand new cable car system around Halong bay are in the advanced stages of completion.

Very large wide roads and water treatment plants have already been completed. Millions and millions of USD is being spent along an entire 15km stretch of the waterfront. Debris was minimal and the bay water wasn't that bad at all for all the works going on. There was not huge amounts of detritus as in other places I have seen in Asia. The people of Halong were pleased to see you and the entire area was clean and a pleasure to walk around. I noticed a lot of backpacker style tourists but my hotel, which was a four star, was also full.

All in all, a good visit and maybe for expats in Thailand that want a change from Laos when applying for a Thai visa, a welcome change and sightseeing opportunity. Cheaper budget flights are now available online with Vietjet by the way.

Thanks for this informative piece. My Thai wife & I are going via Hanoi in November. We booked with Vietnam air & will meet my daughter in the airport as they are flying in from UK. Is there a meeting point or significant land mark as we arrive about 20 minutes apart on different flights?

Thanks for this informative piece. My Thai wife & I are going via Hanoi in November. We booked with Vietnam air & will meet my daughter in the airport as they are flying in from UK. Is there a meeting point or significant land mark as we arrive about 20 minutes apart on different flights?

Hi,

You will not have any problems meeting up as there were only two exit doors for international flights and they are only about 50 metres apart from each other. You are so close in the waiting/pick up area, you can see the people clearly as they wait for their luggage as it's all glass.

The arrivals hall is not big at all at Noi Bai in Hanoi for international flights. It is a very simple process to negotiate your way around. Even I didn't get lost and my sense of direction is pretty poor.

The domestic flights land in a totally different terminal which is a completely separate building a few hundred metres away which eases congestion and certainly avoids confusion.

Interesting information about Halong Bay. I'm planning a trip to Vietnam within the next few months and may add that area to my itinerary, which includes Da Lat and Da Nang. What's the best mode of travel between Hanoi and Halong Bay?

Hi, depends on your budget but here we go. A taxi from the airport or old quarter of Hanoi via a tour operator is approximately $95 -$ 100 as its a 3.5 hour drive. Roads and drivers and vehicles are all good, safe and roadworthy. A shuttle bus from a tour operator in the old quarter ranges between $15- $20 one way. Again a 3 hour to 3.5 hour journey and they stop for 25 minutes for toilet en route. Lastly, the normal bus. Option which your hotel can help you with is $3-4 . All these prices are one way. I went by private car there and shuttle bus back. It was fine. There is a train option but I do not have any knowledge about it.

Thanks a lot for this very up-to-date report and great to know the Visa-free stay of 15 days is indeed implemented already and causes no problems.

Planning to go to Vietnam again for the first time since 2006 - the annoying and expensive Visa-procedure always turned me off until today

it pissed me off the visa setup came down from china

wait 3days embassyfor visa

last 2 trips online visa pay then still payand wait again at airporti

want to go in sept can i get free visa 15days? cheers allan

Allan . Most Western countries now they are doing visa free 15 days entry. I am from the UK it was on and off the plane. No online, no letters nothing. Just turn up at immigration like you do in Bangkok and a stamp is banged into your passport for 15 days and thats it.

Not even an arrival or departure card are required. Simples!

I am one of the victims! Also. To nake my life easier I just got a new second passport and after checking found it to be a 32 page instead of 48. I paid for check and send but now have to send it back and get the one I ordered in the first place! It is a pain.