Dishonest Dealers listing cars as newer than they really are

I've noticed this alot with various imports on Thai websites. I'm guessing this is because grey imports are brought into the country in pieces to avoid duty, then registered after being rebuilt. Then perhaps they pass that off as the date of manufacture. For example there are a couple of VW CC's for sale on one site which are at least 4 years old (can tell by the old spec lights) but are being passed off as much newer.

Please do your homework when buying foreign cars, know a cars age i.e. updates etc and check the chassis number against a database if you are suspicious.

Gasp ! What's next ? Farang pricing ?

Farang Pricing.. I don't really get your drift..

Considering 99% of imports buyers are rich Hiso thais

Wow...99% you must have a pretty accurate spreadsheet with all the details to know that.

Gasp ! What's next ? Farang pricing ?

Farang Pricing.. I don't really get your drift..

Considering 99% of imports buyers are rich Hiso thais

Wow...99% you must have a pretty accurate spreadsheet with all the details to know that.

Certainly agree, If you believe anything a s/h car dealer in los tells you without doing your own checking, you are in for some big surprises.

Cavet Emptor rules

If you are buying second-hand ANYWHERE in the world, you need to have access either to good vehicle knowledge or good trade description legislation.

Thailand has little or none of the latter so if you don't know your cars, take a friend or professional who does.

A third advantage is the ability to bargain - this is largely innate so don't believe you are suddenly going to be a good haggler when all you have ever haggled for before is a leather bag on a market (you probably paid over the odds for that anyway)

]In almost all cars if you look down on the safety belt on the driver side you will notice a flag stating years and month of production and country of origin. That is the last part that is put on a car exiting the production line. Howhever i noticed that in some of these grey imports has been accurately removed with a catter... Good look in this country of cheaters and scammers...I know a guy that has a dealer in Bangkok and use brand new car with the red plate for 2 years...then he register the car and tamper the odometer back to 5-6000 km...selling the car almost as new...

post-62117-0-78292800-1437315629_thumb.j

Edited by Nerone

Ok here's one that caught my eye, advertised as a 1 year old CC, altho to me it looks like pre facelift 2012 model. As has been said, its possible that the chinese factory was still producing the pre facelift but I doubt up to 2014 or producing right hand drive cars

http://showroom.one2car.com/carDetail.aspx?car_id=2375299

Edited by fish fingers

The year they put down is the year of first registration, this can be confirmed from the books.

E.g. pre-facelift (MY12 and back) E200 NGTs are still being sold by Mercedes so ones sold this year will be listed up as 2015 when later sold. This is no different from the west except that most car dealerships actually reduce the price to get the cars out the door within about a year.

The issue is when cars are imported used and then registered, the year will be the year that they were first registered in Thailand which can be deceptive.

E.g.

http://taladrod.com/w30/iCar/CarDet.aspx?cid=1618168

This guy has gone so far as to state in the description that it's an '05 model.