Advantages to being able to speak Thai proficiently...Name them!

midasthailand

Some people are better at numbers, some better at languages...

Luckily, in this case, I am quite good at languages.

When I lived in Spain in talked Spanish.

When I lived in India I learned Hindi. Unfortunately I stayed only two years in India, not long enough to master the language.

In Thailand, it took me two years to learn to read, write and speak Thai.

To know the local language not only improves the quality of our lives (wherever we decide to settle), but it also improves drastically our understanding of the local society.

Maybe I have been influenced by my own country, which has different communities speaking different languages, which everyone should be able to speak, in order to (at least try to) live harmoniously together.

These last years there were a lot of bad things said against the Russians (on top of all the bad things said against the Thais) on this forum.

These negative comments were so persistent that I thought: "Hey, maybe the problem is just that we don't understand each other"...

So, I decided to learn Russian...

Russians are probably a bit different than Swedes, New Zealanders, or Mexicans, but I don't see any reason for the Russians to be worse than the British, the Greek, or the Americans (only examples, of course).

By learning their language, I believe that I will make many more Russian friends.

And, by the way, I also believe that the ones who decide to settle in Thailand should at least make the effort of learning Thai. Not only the Russians ! All of you guys.

After all, it is a question of respect too...

But yes, not everybody is good at languages, so it may be too hard for some.

If you want to try anyway, my advice is to learn the reading and writing before to try to speak.

The secrets of the Thai pronunciation are in the written language. Once you understand the writing, it is much easier to "picture" the tones, and thus to speak correctly.

smile.png

And I say again... As long as you don't speak (correct) Thai fluently, you can't even imagine how your life could change. For the (much) better, of course (even if many on here try to convince us otherwise).

Sorry, but I can't visualise any scenario that would better my life by being able to speak conversational Thai. Would be different if I'd stayed in the village as I could at least understand what goes on in Thai tv soaps, LOL. However I solved that problem by moving to where I can get English language tv.

Might have even broken up my marriage as I'd have been able to understand what the village gossips were saying about me.

If you are happy like that it is the most important.

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sorry, but I can't visualise any scenario that would better my life by being able to speak conversational Thai. Would be different if I'd stayed in the village as I could at least understand what goes on in Thai tv soaps, LOL. However I solved that problem by moving to where I can get English language tv.

Might have even broken up my marriage as I'd have been able to understand what the village gossips were saying about me.

Finding a wife is a good example of the advantages of being able to speak Thai. In Thailand you not only marry the woman but the family. If you don't speak Thai I find it difficult to understand how you would know enough about the family to make an intelligent choice.

Family is far more important in Thailand than the West and not to accept and understand this is one of the critical mistakes made by people who judge others by their own culture instead of the culture of the other person.

Finding a wife is a good example of the advantages of being able to speak Thai. In Thailand you not only marry the woman but the family. If you don't speak Thai I find it difficult to understand how you would know enough about the family to make an intelligent choice.

Family is far more important in Thailand than the West and not to accept and understand this is one of the critical mistakes made by people who judge others by their own culture instead of the culture of the other person.

I made it clear to my wife before I married her that I was NOT marrying her family, and she accepted that. She did make one attempt to move me to the village, but I doubt she'll make that mistake again.

Bottom line, if family is that important she shouldn't have married me and there is always the divorce option.

Because it's so much fun , go into any bar in pataya pretend not to speak Thai and answer there usual questions as follows

Where you come from NORWAY

How long you been Thailand JUST ARIVE YESTERDAY

How long you stay Thailand OH LONG TIME I WANT LIVE HERE BUILD HOUSE HERE I HEAR ISSAN IS VERY NICE

Then just sit back and lisson to all the nonsense

I made it clear to my wife before I married her that I was NOT marrying her family, and she accepted that. She did make one attempt to move me to the village, but I doubt she'll make that mistake again.

Bottom line, if family is that important she shouldn't have married me and there is always the divorce option.

I had a pet leopard and I told the animal I didn't like his spots. He said he would change them - no problem.wai2.gif

Edited by lostoday

Being able to speak for myself would save a lot of money and frustration.

I only speak a bit of thai at the moment and so I am very much dependant on the wife translating... she doesn't understand the concept of translating tho

She tends to filter everything in much the same way as a piece of cling film stretched across a toilet would filter your piss...

I had a pet leopard and I told the animal I didn't like his spots. He said he would change them - no problem.wai2.gif

A good word to say in Thai would be NO. I use it a lot.

No is not a Thai word in the sense that you mean it. No wonder your having problems. Try the Thai language forum and learn 20 or 30 ways of saying no in the Thai language and have people begin not to do things that you don't want them to do.thumbsup.gif

And remember as much as you want them to be like the folks back home they aren't and you don't live in Kansas anymore (reference to the Wizard of OZ).

You don't want to marry the family. That's like saying - dogs - stop barking and the sun to stop shining so hot. Never going to happen. Roosters will crow and dogs will bark no matter how many times you say NO.wink.png

Edited by lostoday

You can bring up sex tourism and doubt whether I date girls that aren't involved in that trade all you want. But to suggest that "some of them might be part-time and casually in the trade" is just ridiculous. You really think that I or any halfway observant human being can't tell the difference between a prostitute or not?

The foreigners I meet all say they can tell, then claim theirs wasn't when she quite clearly was.

I don't know you, but past experience tells me you probably can't tell the difference either.

Simple rule,

If she is 10 years younger than you, she probably was.

If she is 20 years younger than you, she almost certainly was.

Edited by MaeJoMTB

No is not a Thai word in the sense that you mean it. No wonder your having problems. Try the Thai language forum and learn 20 or 30 ways of saying no in the Thai language and have people begin not to do things that you don't want them to do.thumbsup.gif

I always say 'yes', but never get round to actually doing it.

Much more Thai.

You can bring up sex tourism and doubt whether I date girls that aren't involved in that trade all you want. But to suggest that "some of them might be part-time and casually in the trade" is just ridiculous. You really think that I or any halfway observant human being can't tell the difference between a prostitute or not?

The foreigners I meet all say they can tell, then claim theirs wasn't when she quite clearly was.

I don't know you, but past experience tells me you probably can't tell the difference either.

Simple rule,

I'm 80 and she is 70. You think she was a hooker? You're simple rule is simply foolish.

Simple rule,

If she was 20 years younger than me she would just be starting high school. Not everybody on this site is an old man Looking for younger women.

Your logic is amazing. Have any other rules that I should follow?

Simple rule,

If she was 20 years younger than me she would just be starting high school. Not everybody on this site is an old man Looking for younger women.

Your logic is amazing. Have any other rules that I should follow?

Mine finished high school earlier this year, starts university next week.

Much more Thai.

I find it easier to just say, mai roo, I dont know, much more Thai.

Much more Thai.

I find it easier to just say, mai roo, I dont know, much more Thai.

many rainy seasons ago a charming lady taught me the sentence "mai roo rong roi". i use it once in a while (rrrrolling the "r") and the result is always roaring laughter smile.png

It will please Neerenam laugh.png

also no problem with numbers or amounts. was forced to learn numbers in no time because because i supervised the construction of my home smile.png

what Neeranam doesn't know (i hope he never finds out) that i picked up most of the Thai alphabet when Neeranam some of the resident Thai language/scripts eggsburts thought that Thai is the language spoken in Taiwan tongue.png

And remember as much as you want them to be like the folks back home they aren't and you don't live in Kansas anymore (reference to the Wizard of OZ).

You don't want to marry the family. That's like saying - dogs - stop barking and the sun to stop shining so hot. Never going to happen. Roosters will crow and dogs will bark no matter how many times you say NO.wink.png

I didn't marry the family. Are you saying that because I live in Thailand I should just open my bank account to them? If not I don't get your point.

Next year I hope to be moving far away from them. When we lived in Pattaya they never visited and we had no family problems.

I know there are different words for no in Thai. I don't use any of them. My wife speaks English and I tell her no, which she then translates for the benefit of those that think I should be an ATM.

I didn't marry the family. Are you saying that because I live in Thailand I should just open my bank account to them? If not I don't get your point.

Next year I hope to be moving far away from them. When we lived in Pattaya they never visited and we had no family problems.

I know there are different words for no in Thai. I don't use any of them. My wife speaks English and I tell her no, which she then translates for the benefit of those that think I should be an ATM.

I'm saying it is a good thing to understand the culture of your wife. Family is a much larger part of Thai existence than Western existence. If you ignore this when choosing a wife you will be unhappy eventually. No, if's and's or buts.

It's like expecting Muslims to only have one wife. Go to America and put ice in your beer and mayonnaise on your french fries and order faggots in a sports bar.

To ignore Thai cultural traditions (family and marriage) is just ignorant. That does not mean giving all your money to a greedy corrupt family that means avoiding marriage with a Thai woman who has a greedy corrupt family.

You may say over and over again, "I didn't marry the Thai family" but it is like saying over and over again, "tomorrow the sun will not rise." You married the family and the sun will rise.

I'm saying it is a good thing to understand the culture of your wife. Family is a much larger part of Thai existence than Western existence. If you ignore this when choosing a wife you will be unhappy eventually. No, if's and's or buts.

It's like expecting Muslims to only have one wife. Go to America and put ice in your beer and mayonnaise on your french fries and order faggots in a sports bar.

To ignore Thai cultural traditions (family and marriage) is just ignorant. That does not mean giving all your money to a greedy corrupt family that means avoiding marriage with a Thai woman who has a greedy corrupt family.

You may say over and over again, "I didn't marry the Thai family" but it is like saying over and over again, "tomorrow the sun will not rise." You married the family and the sun will rise.

Exactly how would I know they were greedy and expecting money from me before we got married? Do you think Thai girls tell their husband to be that they are expected to give the family all their money?

I told her I would not give them money, and she accepted that. It was only AFTER the marriage that I found out the reality. She didn't know either, so not her fault.

Exactly how would I know they were greedy and expecting money from me before we got married? Do you think Thai girls tell their husband to be that they are expected to give the family all their money?

I told her I would not give them money, and she accepted that. It was only AFTER the marriage that I found out the reality. She didn't know either, so not her fault.

First you learn how to speak Thai. Second you spend some time with the family. It becomes painfully obvious. I'm speaking from personal experience. I would not suggest marriage until spending a minimum of three years with a person. Less in my opinion is crazy and not just in Thailand.

First you learn how to speak Thai. Second you spend some time with the family. It becomes painfully obvious. I'm speaking from personal experience. I would not suggest marriage until spending a minimum of three years with a person. Less in my opinion is crazy and not just in Thailand.

Knew my wife for 1 week before I 'barfined' her from her mother.

'Hello' was the only word we had in common.

Been married 6 years so far.

Yes I would have thought that.

This is the one that "finished high school earlier this year, starts university next week."? So you married her at 13 years old?

LOL. How many people in the world live together 3 years before getting married?

I never intended to have anything to do with the family, but "life" as usual stuffed up my plan, and we have occasional times together now. Recently had a lot of contact because her mother died. However, given that she is now an orphan, should be back to near normal in the future. Hoping to move far away from them next year- even better.

LOL. How many people in the world live together 3 years before getting married?

I never intended to have anything to do with the family, but "life" as usual stuffed up my plan, and we have occasional times together now. Recently had a lot of contact because her mother died. However, given that she is now an orphan, should be back to near normal in the future. Hoping to move far away from them next year- even better.

LOL eh? giggle.gif Some marital experts would argue that two years is a good amount of time to wait. If you are looking for a general rule of thumb, then two years is probably a good length of time for most people, but I don’t personally favor any hard-and-fast rule about how long a courtship should be. I think it depends completely on the character of the people involved, how often they see each other, in what situation(s) they spend their time dating, and how intentional they are about discovering their degree of fit. In some cases, it may be wise to wait three or more years before making a decision, and in other cases, a couple may be able to make a wise decision in less than two years.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-joint-adventures-well-educated-couples/201210/how-long-wait-getting-married

This is the one that "finished high school earlier this year, starts university next week."? So you married her at 13 years old?

Off topic,

She's already started Uni this week, looks great in her uniform.

Edited by MaeJoMTB