Advantages to being able to speak Thai proficiently...Name them!

midasthailand

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

to be precise. my mother tongues (plural) are French and German, i am fluent in English, Spanish and Arabic and i claim i can converse in additional half a dozen languages at least as good, most probably better, as some of the posters claim the are able to communicate in Thai.

since a few years i am studying Farsi and Urdu, i can read both languages without any problems but my understanding is still only rudimentary, i.e. by far not enough understand the subtleness of the ancient poetry written in these two languages.

important is the fact that i care a flying fàrt what you or anybody else thinks about my attitude because that's exclusively my business. do i have to emphasise that i am neither interested in Thai poetry nor in conversing with any Thais whom i don't meet because basically i live like a hermit but 'slightly' more comfortable?

next!

Are you seriously trying to tell me that NONE of the reasons people cited for learning Thai on this and similar threads motivated your language study?

Maybe you're a person who has more of a purely aesthetic interest in studying language, but most people are motivated to learn other languages (at least in part) for the social opportunities this affords. That's the general theme of what people seem to be saying here, and I think that should be respected.

Anyway, this thread has remained uncharacteristically positive, and I don't want to hijack it by debating this with you any further.

please note that i don't belong to "most of the people" and i abhor "social opportunities". and if you don't want to discuss with me the topic any further just stop quoting my postings and refrain from commenting them.

as simple as that.

I think yo have low self=esteem. It might be beneficial to admit the language is too difficult for you to learn.

You wouldn't be alone and it is certainly better than the alternative reasons you quote for not learning.

Does your wife speak Thai, or make an effort?

"low self-esteem" might apply. perhaps it might be beneficial to discuss that potential problem with my shrink in one of the three weekly sessions?

my wife's Thai is exceptional. she speaks fluently the two sentences "sawasdee kha" and "kop khun kha".

I had open heart surgery and after the surgery I was in a lot of pain. I asked the nurse for medicines. Blank stare..i asked again and she disapeared for at least 30 minutes. Finally she came back with a smile and a pile of "magazines" :)

After 25 years here I can speak Thai ,but Mrs Pop tells me not too. Apparently im too fond of saying the Truth and upsetting the Natives. She speaks fluent Arabic which is a blessing in nice Hotels where she chats to Rag Heads and I can enjoy some peace.

To the OP

What proof do you have that being able to speak Thai helped you at all? Are you assuming that the Thai immigration officers don't speak english? If anything, I would think that they would be less likely to help you if you were speaking Thai to them. You would come off as a self entitled person who thinks since you live here you dont have to abide by the rules.

After 25 years here I can speak Thai ,but Mrs Pop tells me not too. Apparently im too fond of saying the Truth and upsetting the Natives. She speaks fluent Arabic which is a blessing in nice Hotels where she chats to Rag Heads and I can enjoy some peace.

looking forward to meet Mrs Pop and find out what kind of area accent she acquired.

As long as she isn't Thai - because you said there are no Thais you would wish to talk with.

Anybody on here can imagine the advantages of reading, writing and speaking fluent Thai.

But, in reality, life in Thailand for those who speak fluent Thai is actually far better than what people who can't speak the language can even imagine.

Hahahahahahahahahahahah

Keep telling yourself and anyone who will listen in either language that.

Being able to speak thai is important for 2 things, dealing with rogue police and for random dinner table chat. Thats it really. I think most thais prefer it when they think farangs are 'fresh' and dont speak thai (especially potential dates)

The only potential dates that prefer guys who can't speak Thai are the kind you meet in Pattaya.

You couldn't be further off. There are jealous thai ladies all over the country that prefer men that don't speak thai.

You will far more likely meet a better class of woman (or man) if you can speak and read Thai. It was my primary motivation for learning Thai because I had met an amazing, intelligent, imaginative and sexy woman who only spoke a bit of English and already had 2-3 Thai suitors (with more money and education than me) chasing after her! But by being able to communicate with her about her feelings, desires and ambitions in Thai, I won her over and now she's my wife smile.png. We only speak Thai with each other. She wants to improve her English, but I say I can't really help with that at the moment. I'm in Thailand and my priority is to learn Thai. If she comes with me one day to live in England or some English-speaking country then we can speak English together, over there. In Thailand, we speak Thai...

A better class of woman is one that has limited English skills? The university educated women in BKK that speak perfect english aren't up to your standards?

I love how you refuse to teach your wife english. Can you be more self selfish?

I learned how to speak Thai when I was in the military here as it was a requirement of my job. I went back to the West and met a Thai college student. She was a beautiful woman (one of the wealthiest families in Thailand) but even though studying in the West her English was not that good. With my Thai speaking ability we became quite close. At parties it was fun to switch to Thai and say anything we wanted as none of the other students spoke Thai (you know how young people are).

As a young man in the Military it always amazed me that the American Army did not learn how to speak Vietnamese, instead hired VC spies to interpret for them. The Korean troops operating with the Americans learned how to speak Vietnamese and lost far fewer men due to leaked information.

You will far more likely meet a better class of woman (or man) if you can speak and read Thai. It was my primary motivation for learning Thai because I had met an amazing, intelligent, imaginative and sexy woman who only spoke a bit of English and already had 2-3 Thai suitors (with more money and education than me) chasing after her! But by being able to communicate with her about her feelings, desires and ambitions in Thai, I won her over and now she's my wife smile.png. We only speak Thai with each other. She wants to improve her English, but I say I can't really help with that at the moment. I'm in Thailand and my priority is to learn Thai. If she comes with me one day to live in England or some English-speaking country then we can speak English together, over there. In Thailand, we speak Thai...

A better class of woman is one that has limited English skills? The university educated women in BKK that speak perfect english aren't up to your standards?

I learned how to speak Thai when I was in the military here as it was a requirement of my job. I went back to the West and met a Thai college student. She was a beautiful woman (one of the wealthiest families in Thailand) but even though studying in the West her English was not that good. With my Thai speaking ability we became quite close. At parties it was fun to switch to Thai and say anything we wanted as none of the other students spoke Thai (you know how young people are).

As a young man in the Military it always amazed me that the American Army did not learn how to speak Vietnamese, instead hired VC spies to interpret for them. The Korean troops operating with the Americans learned how to speak Vietnamese and lost far fewer men due to leaked information.

1. This isnt 1982. Most young thais speak english, and there are many university educated ones that speak quite well.
  2. Way to throw in the fact that she was from one of the most wealthy families in Thailand. Shameless plug for yourself.
  3. Throw in some American bashing for good measure.

1. This isnt 1982. Most young thais speak english, and there are many university educated ones that speak quite well.
  2. Way to throw in the fact that she was from one of the most wealthy families in Thailand. Shameless plug for yourself.

You totally misunderstood me. All of us who have been in Thailand for a while know about the English speaking ability of rich Thai women educated in the USA especially at Kentucky State.biggrin.png

I was not in the military in 1982 the English speaking Allies got kicked out in 1975.

Buddy, I have known and forgotten twice the number of university educated Thai women that you have ever met and let me assure you - few really have a clue what they are saying in English.

See, I know because I can speak to them in their native language as well as English and I do have a clue what they really mean.

You simply don't have any idea because speaking only English is like a prize fighter boxing with one arm. I'm sure it is possible but how many one armed boxers do you see on a daily basis?

You totally misunderstood me. All of us who have been in Thailand for a while know about the English speaking ability of rich Thai women educated in the USA especially at Kentucky State.biggrin.png

I was not in the military in 1982 the English speaking Allies got kicked out in 1975.

Buddy, I have known and forgotten twice the number of university educated Thai women that you have ever met and let me assure you - few really have a clue what they are saying in English.

See, I know because I can speak to them in their native language as well as English and I do have a clue what they really mean.

You simply don't have any idea because speaking only English is like a prize fighter boxing with one arm. I'm sure it is possible but how many one armed boxers do you see on a daily basis?

I didnt misundestand you. I understand that you are referring to things that happened years ago. Whether we are referring to 1975 or 1982 makes no difference. The point is Thailand is much different today than it was 20+ years ago.

You really used the "I have forgotten more than you know" clique? Have you met any of them in the current decade, or you just want to talk about life back in your hay day? You have no idea how many university educate thai girls I have dated. And using a reference to her family as "one of the wealthiest families in Thailand" is interesting considering they sent her to Kentucky State.

I do know what its like for somene to live here and speak Thai well. I have a friend of similar age to me who is half thai and half American. Do you think as a foreigner speaking Thai your opinion is more valid than his? At first he told me that I really needed to learn Thai as it would open up many doors for me. Now we both agree that there are advantages to both sides and he has told me that sometimes he is jealous that I dont know Thai because I can get into more interesting situations. Its more of an adventure for me. I like the fact that I live in a foreign country. I enjoy that things are new and exciting and "foreign" It's fun sometimes to try and communicate with someone when neither of you really understand the language.

A number of off topic and bickering posts have been removed, as have "grammar police".

Also, members would do well to observe rule 7 of the forum rules.

7) You will respect fellow members and post in a civil manner. No personal attacks, hateful or insulting towards other members, (flaming) Stalking of members on either the forum or via PM will not be allowed.

I didnt misundestand you. I understand that you are referring to things that happened years ago. Whether we are referring to 1975 or 1982 makes no difference. The point is Thailand is much different today than it was 20+ years ago.

You really used the "I have forgotten more than you know" clique? Have you met any of them in the current decade, or you just want to talk about life back in your hay day? You have no idea how many university educate thai girls I have dated. And using a reference to her family as "one of the wealthiest families in Thailand" is interesting considering they sent her to Kentucky State.

I do know what its like for somene to live here and speak Thai well. I have a friend of similar age to me who is half thai and half American. Do you think as a foreigner speaking Thai your opinion is more valid than his? At first he told me that I really needed to learn Thai as it would open up many doors for me. Now we both agree that there are advantages to both sides and he has told me that sometimes he is jealous that I dont know Thai because I can get into more interesting situations. Its more of an adventure for me. I like the fact that I live in a foreign country. I enjoy that things are new and exciting and "foreign" It's fun sometimes to try and communicate with someone when neither of you really understand the language.

Sorry, but if you don't know who the University educated, rich lady, who went to Kentucky State University is you must not live in Thailand. (I used her as an example because 100% of the people living in Thailand have heard her try and speak English and that defeats your argument about English speaking women in Thailand)

I have met a couple of thousand university educated Thai women in the past 5 years BTW. biggrin.png

I assume you don't work on the bomb squad or teach neurosurgery or flight training.cheesy.gif

I find it difficult to see how you can argue such a basic concept that speaking Thai would improve your life 100% if you live in Thailand. sad.png

Edited by lostoday

Sorry, but if you don't know who the University educated, rich lady, who went to Kentucky State University is you must not live in Thailand. (I used her as an example because 100% of the people living in Thailand have heard her try and speak English and that defeats your argument about English speaking women in Thailand)

I have met a couple of thousand university educated Thai women in the past 5 years BTW. biggrin.png

I assume you don't work on the bomb squad or teach neurosurgery or flight training.cheesy.gif

I find it difficult to see how you can argue such a basic concept that speaking Thai would improve your life 100% if you live in Thailand. sad.png

I have lived and worked in Thialand for the past year and a half, but obviously because i didnt know one widely known fact i must be an imposter. I dont spend very much time on TV or ever watch the thai news. I dont talk about political things in Thailand with anyone. No I didnt know about Yingluck until I googled her now, and it adds more credibility to my argument that you are living in the past. She is 48 years old. She is not the average university educated Thai woman. No one I work with or soacialze with is anywhere near her age.

A couple of thousand university educated Thai women in the last 5 years....SURE..ok guy....

I explained my point very clearly with expamples, i will give it another shot. They both have advantages, but at this stage I don't feel the need to learn the language. But I have plenty of time to learn it when I want to.

I actually get alot cheaper prices and discounts when I can speak Thai and take care of my things alone. If I take my wife with me, they usually only want to talk to her, and just see that she come with a farang. If I come alone thay have to deal with me in person, and then they realize that "wow, you can speak Thai" and after the usual questions you get, we'll get down to business, and more than often they are so impressed, that they will give a special price or stay away from selling me crap things, or just help out for a symbolic amount. Not long time ago, my CPU-fan, cracked and fell off, and my CPU got burnt. I went to the local IT-shop, and he gave me two CPUs for free, since it was for a old motherboard. Other times its very useful when taking my kids to see a doctor, since my wife NEVER asks the things I want to know. Its a whole new country to stay in when not having to go through my wifes filter. Now I would only need to color my hair and my skin, and I could get rid of the farang firewall that you always get measured by by the Thais.

^

I've been here exactly 30 years and the only women I've ever met that don't like their other halves to speak Thai are let's diplomatically say are in relationships of a financial sort.

Natives,ragheads - Why is it a blessing as your use of woods indicates your real feelings towards these people?

I have lived and worked in Thialand for the past year and a half, but obviously because i didnt know one widely known fact i must be an imposter. I dont spend very much time on TV or ever watch the thai news. I dont talk about political things in Thailand with anyone. No I didnt know about Yingluck until I googled her now, and it adds more credibility to my argument that you are living in the past. She is 48 years old. She is not the average university educated Thai woman. No one I work with or soacialze with is anywhere near her age.

A couple of thousand university educated Thai women in the last 5 years....SURE..ok guy....

I explained my point very clearly with expamples, i will give it another shot. They both have advantages, but at this stage I don't feel the need to learn the language. But I have plenty of time to learn it when I want to.

If you don't know anything about the first female PM of Thailand who was educated in the USA you have never seriously dated a University educated woman in Thailand.

Next you will be saying you live in Pattaya and that's where you met all the Uni babes who speak English.biggrin.png

Yes, a couple of thousand university educated women. I worked for a University in Thailand; so I would obviously know many educated Thai women.

Nothing wrong with hookers or Pattaya. If you stay there and are content with the ladies of the night there is no reason to speak Thai - Darkling, no reason at all.

looking forward to meet Mrs Pop and find out what kind of area accent she acquired.

As long as she isn't Thai - because you said there are no Thais you would wish to talk with.

deliberately misquoting other peoples posting to suit a specific agenda is a despicable attitude and against forum rules. here's what i wrote:

it would be a no-brainer if there were people who'd be able discussing topics which i am interested to discuss.

as Mrs Pop lived and worked in Jeddah where i lived and worked for 5½ years a whole range of interesting topics exist which i would like to discuss with her and that in Arabic.

by the way, the city of Jeddah is neither located in Taiwan nor in southern Portugal laugh.png

To the OP

What proof do you have that being able to speak Thai helped you at all? Are you assuming that the Thai immigration officers don't speak english? If anything, I would think that they would be less likely to help you if you were speaking Thai to them. You would come off as a self entitled person who thinks since you live here you dont have to abide by the rules.

You are quite right, I have no proof at all. I am quite sure that the Thai immigration officers could speak English, however I disagree with your contention that they would be less likely to help me if I spoke Thai to them.

In my (limited) experience in Thailand a westerner speaking polite Thai is always greeted with pleasure and a willingness to help.

For the most part this thread has remained very positive, I respect those that have done well here without the ability to speak, read and write Thai.

All I can say is that from my perspective, being able to converse in Thai has had nothing but positive outcomes for me. Each to his own!

To the OP

You are quite right, I have no proof at all. I am quite sure that the Thai immigration officers could speak English, however I disagree with your contention that they would be less likely to help me if I spoke Thai to them.

In my (limited) experience in Thailand a westerner speaking polite Thai is always greeted with pleasure and a willingness to help.

For the most part this thread has remained very positive, I respect those that have done well here without the ability to speak, read and write Thai.

All I can say is that from my perspective, being able to converse in Thai has had nothing but positive outcomes for me. Each to his own!

I guess the main thing is none of us have any real proof either way, because we cant re-create the situation exactly but we can get a sense of it over a long period of time. I think the main thing that you pointed out that is most important is that you be polite. I am polite and friendly, even with a language barrier, and I seem to get along her just fine alomost all of the time.

It is very hard to get a sense of a person through an anonomous internet forum from a few posts, but at first I thought you were one of the I am more Thai than the Thais kind of person. It seems I misjudged you.

There are so many people on this forum that have such a warped sense of reality that I can only equate to being in a foreign land too long. They cant seem to grasp that others have viewpoints that differ from them, becasue they MAY lead very different lives. Clearly knowing the local language will have many benefits in life. It obviously helps building friendships and relationships for people that are not fluent or comfortable speaking English. My point is that I really don't think it's as beneficial as some make it out to be. If you are an A hole speaking any language, you are still just an A hole. Being able to speak Thai doesnt magically make you a better person or make you immediately accepted. And it is clear that there are many on this forum who think they are superior human beings who take every opportunity to shameless promote themselves. Being fluent in Thai is just one more thing they use to try and convince others of how amazing their lives are in Thailand.

To the OP

I have been following this thread with interest but hoping to keep out of the fray. There have been many instances where I have found myself in places where no English was spoken at all. Had I not been able to speak Thai, I would have been unable to communicate at all. You try discussing land related matters with a Land Department Officer who cannot speak English. Speak to the receptionist at the local district office in English and you will get blank looks. Breakdown in the middle of Nakorn Nowhere, and what are the chances that an English speaker will come along to offer a helping hand, look for certain products at the local wet market, etc.

I would, however, venture to say that if you are living in Bangkok, Phuket, Pattaya or Chiangmai then perhaps Thai language skills are not as necessary as made out by some. But they certainly make life easier. As Midas points out, officialdom for the most part seem more responsive to those who speak Thai. On the other hand, if you behave like a tosser it does not matter how good your skills are. You will be treated like the person you are.

There are so many people on this forum that have such a warped sense of reality that I can only equate to being in a foreign land too long. They cant seem to grasp that others have viewpoints that differ from them, becasue they MAY lead very different lives. Clearly knowing the local language will have many benefits in life. It obviously helps building friendships and relationships for people that are not fluent or comfortable speaking English. My point is that I really don't think it's as beneficial as some make it out to be. If you are an A hole speaking any language, you are still just an A hole. Being able to speak Thai doesnt magically make you a better person or make you immediately accepted. And it is clear that there are many on this forum who think they are superior human beings who take every opportunity to shameless promote themselves. Being fluent in Thai is just one more thing they use to try and convince others of how amazing their lives are in Thailand.

Good post. I'm surprised one or two people on TV take themselves so seriously. Of course being able to speak Thai is overwhelmingly beneficial. But an A hole speaking in English is going to be an A hole speaking in Thai (and Thai people will know it too).

Edited by Stevemercer

If you don't know anything about the first female PM of Thailand who was educated in the USA you have never seriously dated a University educated woman in Thailand.

Next you will be saying you live in Pattaya and that's where you met all the Uni babes who speak English.biggrin.png

Yes, a couple of thousand university educated women. I worked for a University in Thailand; so I would obviously know many educated Thai women.

Nothing wrong with hookers or Pattaya. If you stay there and are content with the ladies of the night there is no reason to speak Thai - Darkling, no reason at all.

The fact that I dont know anything about Thai politics has nothing to do with with my relationships here. I don't know anything about US politics either. Does that mean I am not a US citizen? I dated a Thai lady for a year and a half with a Masters degree in International business. We never talked about politics once. The only thing we did discuss were a few things related to the King, since he is very important in Thai society. But yeah, feel free to make wild assumptions repeatedly, even though I have told you several times you are incorrect.

So now I get it, you are the creepy old guy at the university that pull the "I can speak thai" card to impress the young ladies. What's the line from dazed and confused? "I keep getting older, they stay the same age"

Girls that are in University are a lot different than women that have graduated from University and actually been exposed to the real world.

Another great generalization you make, this time about Pattaya. Probably a half a million people there, and believe it or not, not all of them are involved in the sex industry. I'm pretty sure an MBA in Nakhon nowhere is next to worthless.

Naam.Do yourself a favour and stop making a fool of yourself. To come on a thread about the advantages of speaking Thai in Thailand admitting, for whatever reason, you can't or won't learn Thai is strange.

Also, I never quoted you. My only agenda is to state the facts about your attitude I could and know from our previous chats what you think of Thai people.

You quoted yourself but missed the important part.

"it would be a no-brainer if there were people who'd be able discussing topics which i am interested to discuss. unfortunately... ermm.gif"

Now there is one such person who worked in the middle east. Do you know how many Thais have worked in the middle east?

If you had any integrity you would admit the real reason you don't speak Thai.