Govt succeeds in solving teacher shortages in small schools

Lite Beer

Govt succeeds in solving teacher shortages in small schools

BANGKOK, 19 July 2015 (NNT) - The government has boasted of its success in solving teacher shortages in small schools with its satellite education program.

According to the government, its satellite teacher program has reached more than 15,000 schools across the country, giving children in remote areas more education opportunities. The latest survey indicates that assessment scores of primary and secondary students in most schools have markedly improved.

The government’s policy aimed at promoting vocational education also shows signs of success. The number of vocational school applicants has jumped by 26 percent this year, while those studying for high vocational certificates has risen by 8.48 percent.

Prime Minister Prayut Chan-ocha has instructed related agencies to expedite their education reform, so that the country can achieve a quality and sustainable education system.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-07-19 footer_n.gif

And where to will get educated teachers from ?, Never met one around...

Oh, maybe the soldiers will take the job, but not a good idea bearing the intelligence level of the higher officers in mind.

Government has boasted...well that's a first. And miraculously 15000 schools will provide improved education for students. Exactly how? High quality new teachers out of thin air? 555

Edited by jerojero

Well done the govt and another success story. I would be boasting about it to!

The Junta understand that knowledge is power and informed people become empowered citizens which is an important hallmark of a democratic society. This is all part of an implementation of democracy in the country and the Junta are certainly on the right track with this initiative.

Baby steps that lead to a bright future. An Educated future.

One assumes those schools still without electricity are yet to benefit. Or did PTP rectify that problem?

Probably only in the red villages or the guaranteed paid to vote schools. And most likely with frighteningly inefficient and dangerous results

Well done the govt and another success story. I would be boasting about it to!

The Junta understand that knowledge is power and informed people become empowered citizens which is an important hallmark of a democratic society. This is all part of an implementation of democracy in the country and the Junta are certainly on the right track with this initiative.

Baby steps that lead to a bright future. An Educated future.

I was about to click the 'likes this' button as I thought the sattire was quite humerous. Then I saw who posted it, this naive individual is deadly serious.

If my western math is correct:

26% increase in vocational students. These are typically the kids who stop at M3 and never graduate high school. So it is safe to assume that more than 26% of M3 students have not finished M6.coffee1.gif

Why am I clapping again? blink.png

There is no teacher shortage. Universities/colleges take students on teacher courses and churn out thousands of qualified teachers. Only those with relatives in high places or who can afford the bribe money get jobs. The rest work in 7 - 11s having wasted 5 years of their lives and all the course fees. If the Government really cares, it will restrict the numbers of students being taken on by unscrupulous colleges.

For eleven days this spring I taught English at a small vocation center and at a small school near Takhli. Each day was a new group of students starting from ground zero, At some point during the day, a group of teacher/supervisors (new ones everyday) would come in with their I-Pads and take pictures. I suspect this was an adimistrative PR exercise. The group pictures, not English, was the end-game. Haven't heard from them since, either.

I disagree.

I just got back from a 2 week stay in the Phon Sai region east of Nong Khai. While there I visited 4 different schools. Each school had Thai teachers overseeing the rote learning of ABCs and counting to 10. Not one of the teachers I spoke with had any recognisable fluency in English; a few basic words at best.

I sat in on one 3 hour parent teacher meeting that was MCed by the principal of the school and attended by both the Orbitor and the Regional head of schools. The first thing both the HOS and Principal did was apologise to me for not speaking any English. They were both shocked and then pleasantly surprised when I responded by speaking to them in Thai.

The most prominent theme that emerged from the open mic questions put to the HOS and principal by the parents was the question; when will a full time English program be implemented? The response was that, dispite their best efforts the school had been unable to secure a teacher.

I was repeatedly asked begged to work at the school.

Perhaps also worth noting are the 2 other themes that emerged from that meeting. Most kids in the schools of that region are cared for by their grandparents as the parents are either working overseas or in Bangkok or a tourist area such as Phuket. And so the second most common theme for questions: Why do I have to help (insert name of kid) with homework? And the third theme: What should I do when (insert name of kid) wants to watch Lakorn and not do his home work?

Edited by Bulldozer Dawn

Many of the Thai teenagers I have visited with (friends /schoolmates ) of my children, who by the way display a lot of the same traits in more ways than I want to admit. If they ask for help advice, they start talking before you can finish answearing the intial inquiry or to even give reasons and justification for your answer. If you make a suggestion on a possible solution to a problem you have encountered and solved that they are fumbling with they inform you this is the modern age of internet and all answers are right there for the youmger folk /students.

Many think cheating, copying, lieing, stealing, retuning a borrowed item broken, etc is quite acceptable. To stay up all night partying with borrowed money, (they are unemployed) is the norm of how they expect to live. When the old man says go find a job, they say nothing avaliable or it is below their station in life.

Now I would not begruge a 20 year old living and even setting down to a meal free via generousity of dad and mom at home, (it would be nice if they offered to clean and wash up aftraids. but if not in training or school i expect them to find work that pays their fuel (I bought the motorcycle) beer/party money, etc

guess its good i have reached the age that life expentancy is getting shorter every full moon. sometimes the grass is greener and sweeter on the other side.