Heavy rain, large waves alert issued for Phuket, Andaman and Gulf of Thailand

Lite Beer

Eakkapop Thongtub

1437285955_1.jpg

PHUKET: The Thai Meteorological Department (MET) has issued a weather alert for Phuket, the Andaman Sea and the Gulf of Thailand, warning of waves of up to three meters.

According to the alert from today, the MET is expecting thundershowers in 60 per cent of the area as a result of the Southwesterly Monsoon winds.

The alert also advises all sea vessels to proceed with extreme caution and to continuously monitor the weather.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/heavy-rain-large-waves-alert-issued-for-phuket-andaman-and-gulf-of-thailand-53269.php?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2015-07-19

No worries though, just checked the other southern Thailand forums like Krabi, Koh Samui and Southern Thailand, and since there is no warning there it looks like the MET has withdrawn its warning already.

Looking at the present forecast from Windguru, much more reliable than TMD, it looks like the warning is not justified.

They've been forecasting rain in Bangkok every day for weeks. At least where I live in lower Sukhumvit, hardly any! (That goes for the BBC forecast also!).

Still the monsoon seas are dangerous off Phuket. Another Korean chap, 19 years and 11 1/2 months old), drowned yesterday, ( Saturday).

There are warnings everywhere, but when a tourist comes to Phuket to swim in the sea, no amount of yelling and screaming is going to stop them. So we will just keep on supplying body wraps.

Still the monsoon seas are dangerous off Phuket. Another Korean chap, 19 years and 11 1/2 months old), drowned yesterday, ( Saturday).

There are warnings everywhere, but when a tourist comes to Phuket to swim in the sea, no amount of yelling and screaming is going to stop them. So we will just keep on supplying body wraps.

I know exactly what you mean. I don't even bother warning people now, about the multitude of dangers that abound in this beautiful country. (Also, past caring if they come to grief, or not).

Such is life.

I think it is more important to adequately WARN everyone, than to use bans and enforcement to make sure nobody dies. Everyone should make his own decisions.

Looking at the present forecast from Windguru, much more reliable than TMD, it looks like the warning is not justified.

They've been forecasting rain in Bangkok every day for weeks. At least where I live in lower Sukhumvit, hardly any! (That goes for the BBC forecast also!).

We have heavy rain in Pathum Thani right now at 17h20

I know exactly what you mean. I don't even bother warning people now, about the multitude of dangers that abound in this beautiful country. (Also, past caring if they come to grief, or not).

I am never quite sure how we always arrive the the darkest an most negative postings, even with good news .. which rain in the Kingdom is.

I hope I never reach a point in my life where like you ... I simply do not care anymore, and death ... "oh well"

I would wish you a good day, but sadly .. and not sure that is within your grasp any longer.

I do not want an argument with you ... but this was one very odd and sad posting.

If you feel compelled to reply, please ... that is your prerogative ... I have said all I wanted to say.

I am never quite sure how we always arrive the the darkest an most negative postings, even with good news .. which rain in the Kingdom is.

I hope I never reach a point in my life where like you ... I simply do not care anymore, and death ... "oh well"

I would wish you a good day, but sadly .. and not sure that is within your grasp any longer.

I do not want an argument with you ... but this was one very odd and sad posting.

If you feel compelled to reply, please ... that is your prerogative ... I have said all I wanted to say.

bang... I totally understand and agree with your comment, I have read several similar type comments over the years but I prefer to put them down to "internet comments" These are anonymous and largely superficial comments without conviction, I may be delusional but I prefer to think the posters would have a different response if confronted with a face to face event where they see someone in difficulty. I would like to think that they would react with the same compassionate and caring attitude as the rest of the educated and civilized people of this planet.

In saying that it still perplexes me that they can make these comments at all, I remember a recent thread regarding an elderly woman being raped in a paddy field, some posters regarded that as an opportunity for jokes and ridicule...go figure???

Thankfully (without any offence to previous posters here) there are enough genuine and empathetic contributors who make worthwhile and sympathetic comments...

Warning was well justified, heavy rains in Samui with flooding up to 1 meter in some parts, more expected today.....in fact 3.30am another heavy downpour.....

So the warning was justified for Samui, but was it posted in the Samui forum?

The warning was (so far and judging by the forecasts it will not the coming days) justified for Phuket, but was it in the Phuket forum?

Rain does not justify a warning for waves up to 3 meters, nor does flooding. BTW, you're posting on the Phuket forum.

Warning was well justified, heavy rains in Samui with flooding up to 1 meter in some parts, more expected today.....in fact 3.30am another heavy downpour.....

The warning was (so far and judging by the forecasts it will not the coming days) justified for Phuket, but was it in the Phuket forum?

Rain does not justify a warning for waves up to 3 meters, nor does flooding. BTW, you're posting on the Phuket forum.

Dude .. Chill out ! Here .. read the headline again ...

What is your problem? This was not a traffic report ... it is the WEATHER.

Edited by Guest

Just had a huge storm on Samui. Nearly two hours of constant rain, which the place really needs.

Very visible here:

http://www2.tmd.go.th/radar/srtLoop.php

Samui's weather, unlike Phuket is notoriously difficult to predict accurately due to it's lofty mountain ranges which help create it's own micro climate.

Edited by crusty

Dude .. Chill out ! Here .. read the headline again ...

What is your problem? This was not a traffic report ... it is the WEATHER.

So some flooding on Samui justifies a weather warning for Phuket. Something seems wrong with that.

At least at Karon beach it has been justified...ok I haven't measured the waves...and it is still raining now