Hoteliers predict Chinese tourist rush to continue in Thailand

webfact

Hoteliers predict Chinese tourist rush to continue
SUCHAT SRITAMA
THE NATION

BANGKOK: --HOTELIERS predict that tourist arrivals from China will continue to increase by up to 25 per cent a year over the next three years with a huge number of young Chinese travellers descending on the Kingdom.

According to the Chinese International Travel Monitor 2015 report, 84.9 per cent of hoteliers revealed that they had seen an increase in Chinese travellers, with 30 per cent experiencing an increase of between 26 and 50 per cent.

Hoteliers forecast that trend would continue with an increase of between 11-25 per cent a year until 2018. On top of the increasing numbers, hoteliers say Chinese travellers are getting younger.

The report found that 81.7 per cent of hoteliers said they had noticed more independent young Chinese travellers, or those aged between 18 and 35 (millennials).

China has been Thailand's clear No 1 source market for a number of years.

Hotels.com found Chinese booking Thai destinations online increased by 32 per cent in 2104.

Abhiram Chowdhry, vice president and managing director Asia Pacific for Hotels.com, said the top 10 Thai destinations for Chinese travellers were Phuket, Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Koh Samui, Krabi, Pattaya, Hua Hin, Koh Phi Phi, |Koh Lanta and Koh Pha Ngan.

"Globally, Chinese travellers have grown financial muscle. An average traveller spends around Bt17,796 per day, including accommodation. The top 10 per cent of Chinese international travellers spend Bt73,771 per day including accommodation and spend an average of Bt14,556 per night on hotels alone," said Chowdhry.

Big spenders

He said "super luxury" Chinese travellers, or the top five per cent of spenders, were sending Bt111,704 on average per day on mostly shopping, dining and sightseeing.

Furthermore, 47 per cent of the top 10 per cent of spenders intend to spend more on dining and food and half aim to spend more on entertainment.

According to the Chinese International Travel Monitor report, one-third of the top spenders usually stay in Thailand between six and nine days, and 33 per cent like to travel to at least two countries per trip.

Chowdhry said hoteliers across the globe had reported that Chinese travellers sought properties with free Wi-Fi and Mandarin-speaking staff.

For Thai hoteliers, one-third said Chinese guests mostly requested free Wi-Fi, Mandarin-speaking staff and translated tourism guides.

Hotels.com last week released its travel trends, which is highlighted by the fact that millennial and affluent travellers had fuelled 20 per cent growth in Chinese outbound travellers in 2014 - with the figure rising to 107 million.

Australia, Japan and France are the top three countries that Chinese travellers say they would like to visit in the next 12 months.

The pyramids, Mount Fuji and the Eiffel Tower are the top three global landmarks Chinese travellers would most like to visit in their lifetimes. Eight per cent of Chinese travellers this year used an online e-device including mobiles, desktops and laptops to plan and book travel, compared with only 53 per cent last year. Chinese tourists said the country with the warmest welcome was South Korea, followed by Thailand and Japan.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/business/Hoteliers-predict-Chinese-tourist-rush-to-continue-30264761.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-07-20

Checking on a French tourism website learns that the average spending of Chinese tourists on 7 days is 7.400 US, so 33.000 Baht a day , accommodation shopping eating included..... slightly lower than the numbers in the OP.

Is this really a prediction or a statement made with fingers crossed ?

Of course let's not bother with ' eggs in one basket ' aspect in a ' live for now ' society and no thought of what happens if Chinese tourism dips having scared all others, including Thais, away.

At least where it's all Chinese it must cut down on complaints from the guests about unacceptable behaviour but I wonder what the Thai staff think ?

Does anyone know if there's a recruitment and retention problem ?

"HOTELIERS predict that tourist arrivals from China will continue to increase by up to 25 per cent a year over the next three years with a huge number of young Chinese travellers descending on the Kingdom."

Predict or hopefully guess?

This is probably the last thing struggling local vendors wanted to read. More low spending Chinese Tourists descending on Thailand.

yours is probably an uneducated guess without having any knowledge.

post-35218-0-44899600-1437359086_thumb.p

This is probably the last thing struggling local vendors wanted to read. More low spending Chinese Tourists descending on Thailand.

Interesting numbers but they don't really disprove peterjackson's implication, that Chinese tourists spend lower amounts per person than other tourists. Based upon your other posts, though, you're shrewd enough to realize that.

A German friend of mine coincidentally wrote to me today from Germany complaining about the number of Chinese tourists swarming out over the German romantic tourist destinations, he was on holiday with his wife, they cut their trip short and headed back home.

Interesting numbers but they don't really disprove peterjackson's implication, that Chinese tourists spend lower amounts per person than other tourists. Based upon your other posts, though, you're shrewd enough to realize that.

when it concerns money/economy i am shrewd enough to detect assumptions based on bias and/or ignorance.

A German friend of mine coincidentally wrote to me today from Germany complaining about the number of Chinese tourists swarming out over the German romantic tourist destinations, he was on holiday with his wife, they cut their trip short and headed back home.

Chinese should swarm around the Great Wall or their Takla Maka desert instead of disturbing an honest German family's holiday coffee1.gif

Checking on a French tourism website learns that the average spending of Chinese tourists on 7 days is 7.400 US, so 33.000 Baht a day , accommodation shopping eating included..... slightly lower than the numbers in the OP.

I don't believe any word of it.

Chinese who spend 1000us$ a day at a holiday? No way. Not even the hi-so ones who go to Paris spend that much.

Sure the average spending of Chinese tourists - based on numbers generated before the Chinese began experiencing a financial meltdown that could snowball into the worst ever financial disaster of globally catastrophic proportions.

Apologies for mixed metaphors and hyperbole (but not so much the hyperbole- because it really could happen)

the "big financial meltdown" is nothing but going back to the index value of exactly 3½ months ago (april3, 2015). facts talk, sensational gloom&doom BS walks!

attachicon.gifShanghai.JPG

True, but if you bought in June you are now broke

only people who put all their eggs in one basket have a high potential to go broke.

by the way, if you bought in june last year and sold in june this year you more than doubled your money making 136% profit.

next! wink.png

This report is in direct contrast to what is said by many hotels/restaurants/bars/entertainment venues which is : Chinese are unruly/messy/often just plain dirty/

negotiate the lowest possible hotel rate and spend very, very little in Thailand. I, personally have never seen a Chinese person in any restaurant/bar/ Go-Go

that I frequent - NEVER, not one !

I had the misfortune to be surrounded by groups of Chinese tourists and behind some groups through immigration on a recent trip through Swampi airport. <deleted> miserable experience. And why do they need all those boxes and so much luggage? What do they do with all the stuff that is in those boxes? How about printing the arrival/departure cards in Chinese so they can fill them in correctly instead of each one taking hours to get through immigration? It ain't that difficult, people

Let me guess, this report was made in 2012 and posted now to avoid the panic of the Chinese stock market crash.

Not if the swarm of locusts barreling along a main road shoving everyone out of their way here on Phuket this morning is anything to go by.bah.gif

This report is in direct contrast to what is said by many hotels/restaurants/bars/entertainment venues which is : Chinese are unruly/messy/often just plain dirty/

negotiate the lowest possible hotel rate and spend very, very little in Thailand. I, personally have never seen a Chinese person in any restaurant/bar/ Go-Go

that I frequent - NEVER, not one !

Ah well, silver linings biggrin.png

attachicon.gifglobal tourism spendings.png

Absolutely not. I'm sure I dont need to point out to you that statistics can prove or disprove anything.

Your chart has no bearing on the actual spend of Chinese Tourists coming to Thailand and is based on Total expenditure of all Chinese globally including travel and accommodation costs.

My post is based on the comments given to me by vendors when enquiring about how their business is performing.

So with knowledge and no guessing.

NAAM QUOTE :when it concerns money/economy i am shrewd enough to detect assumptions based on bias and/or ignorance.

Obviously NOT,!!! But that wouldn't suit your narrative, bias or ignorance.

"Globally, Chinese travellers have grown financial muscle. An average traveller spends around Bt17,796 per day, including accommodation. The top 10 per cent of Chinese international travellers spend Bt73,771 per day including accommodation and spend an average of Bt14,556 per night on hotels alone,"

​Unfortunately Thailand attracts the below average Chinese travellers, spending around 60 baht a day on two pots of Mama noodles. Everything else is paid upfront at massively discounted rates.

Fine people as they are, the Germans are not a nation that I would immediately associate with romance...

Fine people as they are, the Germans are not a nation that I would immediately associate with romance...

Castles, fairy tales, operas, great romantic composers... you need to get out more lol. biggrin.png

Wrong, you should go there sometime, i lived there for nearly 40 years. There is even a famous route one can drive along called the romantic strasse runs from Wuerzburg to Fuessen over 400 km very beautiful,castles, forests, ancient towns, wine and song.

Castles, fairy tales, operas, great romantic composers... you need to get out more lol. biggrin.png

Sodom, Kreator and Accept are great composers alright, but romantic? A few songs by the Scorpions, I suppose..

Sodom, Kreator and Accept are great composers alright, but romantic? A few songs by the Scorpions, I suppose..

Your Avatar name is thoroughly appropriate.

Please name the hotels. Hoteliers don't mean anything other than but people running hotels.

Oh yes, there are many hotels in Thailand with a pricetag of over 40.000 baht a night. I am sure there are a number if Chinese on the guest list, like anywhere else in the world.

These numbers are not reprsentative of Chinese tourism as a whole.

I suppose what the majority of us see are the Chinese mass market tourists. It is inevitable that they will crowd it.

Farangs who can afford it should move upmarket. There are many luxurious exclusive places around Thailand. Those who cannot - just have to live with it.

For Thais it is much better to make a little bit than nothing.

I think I read somewhere where Chinese tour companies send advance agents to try and wring as much savings as they can out of Thai hotels and restaurant packages. The profit margin must really be thin.