US political posturing kills Thai-US relations

webfact

Nation Newspaper, shut it.

Whether you are pro-Yellow-shirt or not, stop trying to make America and Thailand drift further away. Why don't you try to re-build bridges between Thailand and America ?

The middle-class Chinese-Thais who were wearing the yellow shirts don't have a problem with America. So, Nation Newspaper, why do you ?

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

<deleted> the US,who care what they say or think.

It's beter for Thailand to have China AND the West competing against each other to influence Thailand. Let China AND the West hand out their gifts.

If it's only China turning up in Thailand to put Thailand into it's 'sphere of influence', well, what benefits can Thailand expect ? Better to take the benefits from two competing big countries, rather than just one.

But what happens should the two suitors decide they are being played for fools and join forces against the two-timing vixen? It could become messy...

Well, surely, the two suitors are not going to join forces ? The two suitors are rivals, trying to dominate other countries. The two suitors are not interested in getting together to take-over other countries.

America and China both regard each other as 'threats'. And they both know that Thailand is a harmless nation, stuck between the two big powers. The worse case scenario is both suitors withdraw their interests, and leave Thailand with no gifts and benefits. But I doubt it will happen.

I know whose side I'd rather be on . The PRC may start off with Patriotic fervor, but once they have been taken apart in the air and at sea they could well clam down a bit. Chinese are good at controlling and dominating their own people , US is good at beating the crap out of other nations

<deleted> the US,who care what they say or think.

The entire world cares.

Friend and foe alike.

What the U.S. does impacts the planet.

What is your country?

How is your currency doing against the USD?

and your military influence?

As an American living in Thailand, I like being treated well by the government and that may change.

But, I am aware that the U.S. no longer needs Thailand for anything.

It has no military value anymore, with modern technology like over the horizon radar, the U.S. will never need bases in Thailand again.

There is no economic advantage to being friendly with Thailand.

Thailand has even lost it's flavor as a vacation destination for most Americans.

Now that Thailand no longer has an elected government and is making no real effort to get one and they are snuggling up with China and North Korea, Thailand has decided to live on the wrong side of the fence to be friends with the U.S.

What Thailand has done and has become was Thailand's choice and they knew in advance what the reaction from America would be.

The relations have been killed by Thailand, not the U.S.

I am sure I can find another place I enjoy living before it officially becomes " The Peoples Republic of Thaina"

Edited by willyumiii

The truth is the USA recognizes that Thai politicians are a bunch of lying crooks, nothing they say can be trusted, lying is first nature, people are not given jobs through meritocracy, the positions are bought going all the way back to university, how can they deal with these people on a level playing field where money is God.

yes how dare the US condemn the hooding and handcuffing of refugees forced to go back to China and face their wonderful system of justice? I mean it was a humane and compassionate act! more trash from The Nation

True, repatriation was a despicable act by Thailand, but the Thais have many valid arguments in claiming they are not being treated as the USA treats other nations, many with much worse human rights records...take Egypt for example. Full on coup, condemnation of thousands to death using ex-post-facto law, the list goes on an on. Thailand is quite benevolent by comparison.

Further to my earlier post a good summing up of Obama's achievement from the New Statesman, and one I believe key leaders in Thailand would agree with.

"Barack Obama continues to surprise his critics. More than eight months after a wave of Republican victories in Congress that was expected to turn his final years in office into mere time-serving, the president is still racking up the achievements. First, the right to equal marriage was enshrined by the US Supreme Court, by a margin of one vote. Two of the justices who voted to ensure equal marriage were Obama’s appointees. Now, an accord has been reached between the “P5+1” – the permanent members of the UN Security Council, plus Germany – and Iran to reduce the scope of the latter’s nuclear weapons programme. Obama-era secretaries of state – first Hillary Clinton, then John Kerry – made much of the running.

There is plenty to criticise in Obama’s ­record but he has gone some way to restoring America’s reputation overseas and made the country a little kinder than it was five years ago. He is a transformational president, not just because of the colour of his skin but because of the content of his policy programme."

Since Mr. Obama was elected, the US' relationship with every country on the face of the earth has deteriorated.

Why should Thailand be any different?

How exactly are you measuring that? Let me guess, you're talking out of the wrong side. I'll do the research for you and rather unsurprisingly, it doesn't support your point. If you would have taken the time to do the research and then taken some jabs at Obama, you could have had some points.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/183122/leadership-loses-ground-africa-asia.aspx?utm_source=WORLD_POLL&utm_medium=topic&utm_campaign=tiles

Since Mr. Obama was elected, the US' relationship with every country on the face of the earth has deteriorated.

What metrics are you using? Party invitations?

Party invitations? Really? Wow! Where do I begin?

B. Hussein Obama II, had/has no idea about foreign policy before or after he became POTUS.

His former and current Secretaries of State, Clinton and Kerry, are dilettantes (look up the definition).

He, using his authority as Commander in Chief and without participation of Congress, actively assisted the overthrow of the governments of Egypt and Libya; the former now has a military dictatorship and the later has five different factions warring for control. In neither country are the citizens better off.

In a failed attempt to overthrow the government of Bashar al-Assad, he armed the Syrian rebels who then morphed into ISIS.

The US, under the President's direct control, conducts illegal drone strikes on anyone they feel like with total impunity.

He's certainly alienated Putin of Russia with his meddling in Ukraine and the Baltic States.

He's spied on the governments of Brazil, France, Germany, and all the US's other 'allies'; even going so far as tapping the private phones of the leaders of those countries and monitoring those countries' business interests.

He's working like mad to get on the wrong side of China when just a little respect would go far. He has alienated every country in the Middle East with his facilitating the Iranian government's efforts to acquire a nuclear weapon and a missile system to deliver it.

I could go on but even you can see what a disaster US foreign policy has been.

The US's foreign policy is being directed by the former leader of the 'Choom Gang' http://www.breitbart.com/sports/2014/08/02/choom-gang-reunion/, whose total government experience before becoming POTUS consisted of one partial term as a State Senator and one partial term as a US Senator (who voted 'present' 90% of the time). He has proved to be an unmitigated disaster.

Thailand may not be of great strategic importance but is was willing to be the US's friend if allowed.

Now, tell me which country has better relations with the US since Obama took office. (Please don't say he's better than Geo. Bush because that's like saying he's better than a cow flop)

Believe it or not this kind of mindless nonsense is relatively common in the U.S, though mostly from the uneducated and other redneck sources as one would expect.The telltale aspect is the obsessive hatred of President Obama often with a barely concealed racist subtext - not that I'm suggesting this here.

In fact as most reasonable people know Obama has huge international popularity with Russia being the main exception.His foreign policy achievements are looking remarkably good and he will be remembered as a great President.

Still I did enjoy the comical reference to Obama alienating Putin due to the former's meddling in the Ukraine.

And the genius who came up with all this expects to be taken seriously on Thailand?

Notice what name he uses for Obama. Of course he would never admit that he's racist, but what he's doing is trying to define him as some type of other, not a true american. It's a rather common sociological approach. You might not respect or like everything that Obama does, as a human, you could at least call him what he prefers to be called.

How exactly are you measuring that? Let me guess, you're talking out of the wrong side. I'll do the research for you and rather unsurprisingly, it doesn't support your point. If you would have taken the time to do the research and then taken some jabs at Obama, you could have had some points.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/183122/leadership-loses-ground-africa-asia.aspx?utm_source=WORLD_POLL&utm_medium=topic&utm_campaign=tiles

What do you expect.. he lives in the Twilight Zone.

Points? What are you on about? You think having a debate on TV is some kinda game?

Obama and Hillary have completely destroyed what little stability was left in the middle east. He has completely isolated Isreal. He pissed away stability in Iraq and weakened Afghanistan. He stuck his nose in Egypt;s and Libya's business and wound up leaving Libya fragmented and supported a very bad actor (Morsi) in Egypt and wound up with a military coup.

He drew a line in the sand against Syria and when Assad and Russia called his bluff, Obama folded losing the hand. In the process his feckless abandonment of responsibility created ISIS with Barry admitting that he has no game plan whatsoever to contain ISIS. This led to Saudi Arabia and Jordan publicly proclaiming that those two countries have no faith or trust in the US and they would have to act unilaterally to further their interests in the region.

The two "victories" that the sycophants in the room pointed to were Cuba and Iran.

Obama is known among world leaders as a lightweight in negotiations and international affairs.. He is akin to a drunk poker player that people take advantage of when playing cards. Iran completely "rolled" Obama and got far more than they bargained and gave up nothing. The Cubans are now claiming victory by declaring that they held out all these years and won the cold war against the US. Cuba is asking for further concessions from America while again, giving up nothing.

Obama was a community organizer and a US Senator for less than one term. He is a neophyte and every world leader knows it. He is a political chew toy for any foreign leader to sample if they so wish.

Please tell me again, what diplomatic victories has Obama achieved?

P.S. If debating on TV is how you measure success and failure your life, you really need to get a new one.

Edited by TDCNINJA

Points? What are you on about? You think having a debate on TV is some kinda game?

Obama and Hillary have completely destroyed what little stability was left in the middle east. He has completely isolated Isreal. He pissed away stability in Iraq and weakened Afghanistan. He stuck his nose in Egypt;s and Libya's business and wound up leaving Libya fragmented and supported a very bad actor (Morsi) in Egypt and wound up with a military coup.

He drew a line in the sand against Syria and when Assad and Russia called his bluff, Obama folded losing the hand. In the process his feckless abandonment of responsibility created ISIS with Barry admitting that he has no game plan whatsoever to contain ISIS. This led to Saudi Arabia and Jordan publicly proclaiming that those two countries have no faith or trust in the US and they would have to act unilaterally to further their interests in the region.

The two "victories" that the sycophants in the room pointed to were Cuba and Iran.

Obama is known among world leaders as a lightweight in negotiations and international affairs.. He is akin to a drunk poker player that people take advantage of when playing cards. Iran completely "rolled" Obama and got far more than they bargained and gave up nothing. The Cubans are now claiming victory by declaring that they held out all these years and won the cold war against the US. Cuba is asking for further concessions from America while again, giving up nothing.

Obama was a community organizer and a US Senator for less than one term. He is a neophyte and every world leader knows it. He is a political chew toy for any foreign leader to sample if they so wish.

Please tell me again, what diplomatic victories has Obama achieved?

P.S. If debating on TV is how you measure success and failure your life, you really need to get a new one.

The only lightweight here is you trying to spew copy pasted rhetoric from Faux News and implying we should bomb bomb bomb bomb bomb bomb bomb bomb bomb bombbomb bomb bomb bomb bombbomb bomb bomb bomb bombbomb bomb bomb bomb bombbomb bomb bomb bomb bombbomb bomb bomb bomb bombbomb bomb bomb bomb bombbomb bomb bomb bomb bombbomb bomb bomb bomb bombbomb bomb bomb bomb bombbomb bomb bomb bomb bombbomb bomb bomb bomb bombbomb bomb bomb bomb bombbomb bomb bomb bomb bombbomb bomb bomb bomb bombbomb bomb bomb bomb bombbomb bomb bomb bomb bombbomb bomb bomb bomb bombbomb bomb bomb bomb bombbomb bomb bomb bomb bombbomb bomb bomb bomb bombbomb bomb bomb bomb bombbomb bomb bomb bomb bombbomb bomb bomb bomb bombbomb bomb bomb bomb bombbomb bomb bomb bomb bombbomb bomb bomb bomb bombbomb bomb bomb bomb bombbomb bomb bomb bomb bombbomb bomb bomb bomb bombbomb bomb bomb bomb bombbomb.

Obama was elected twice because people were fed up of the above said rhetoric of Bush.

Face it you can be angry as you like but you are the voting minority. Like you said you lost the election and if that's how you measure success and failure in life, you really need to get a new one.