Polish man found dead with throat slashed in Bangkok Sukhumvit Soi 23 hotel

webfact

Polish Man Found Dead with Throat Slashed in Bangkok Hotel

BANGKOK – A Polish National has been found dead with a severe knife wound to his throat in the bathroom of a luxury hotel on Sukhumvit Soi 23 in Bangkok late Friday night.

Pol Sub Lt Thotsaphol said police initially believed the man might have killed himself but they need to investigate further.
The 42-year-old tourist, wearing a white bathrobe, was found lying in a pool of blood. A 10-centimetre knife was found in the bathroom, Manager Online reported.

There were no traces of a struggle in the room and none of the man’s belongings had been stolen, said Pol Sub Lt Thotsaphol Insith, a duty officer at Thong Lor police station.

Hotel staff told police that the man had checked in on Wednesday and was scheduled to leave on Friday afternoon. After the checkout time passed, a staff member phoned the room but received no answer. She then went to the room and knocked several times but got no response.

Full story: http://www.chiangraitimes.com/polish-man-found-dead-with-throat-slashed-in-bangkok-hotel.html

-- CHIANGRAI TIMES 2015-07-20

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, do investigate further, people don't just slit their throats like this, there are many better and faster

ways to die, foul play for sure, sexual act that went horribly wrong maybe,,,,

The BIB have to be the laziest and most incompetent police force in the world.

No amount of bad publicity, as with recent incidents and disgraceful comments made by a senior officer, changes anything as all is ignored, no one in authority comments and it's business as usual.

The Thai press reports that the cops had to cut a safety chair to get in, and that the room number was 2102, which is probably a high floor. No items were missing and there were no signs of a struggle. He checked in alone. Police will check CCTV to see if anybody entered or left the room.

The hotel was not named, but was described as a luxury hotel, i.e. 3-star +

Yes, do investigate further, people don't just slit their throats like this, there are many better and faster

10 cm is lengthy, if you take out a ruler and look.

We need to see what kind of knife, if the knife is present (which is suspect not because these items are shown in pictures normally in these articles).

10 cm sounds to me like a box cutter.

How do they know no cash or jewelry was stolen? Just because he had a wallet and watch doesn't mean all of his belongings were not stolen.

Actually it does. SOME of his belongings may have been stolen.

For those titillated by locked room mysteries may I recommend The Hollow Man by John Dickson Carr

How do they know no cash or jewelry was stolen? Just because he had a wallet and watch doesn't mean all of his belongings were not stolen.

Exactly ... and dead men tell no tales.

BUT ... (see next posting)

How did this happen with the safety chain still in place?

Edited by Guest

The Thai press reports that the cops had to cut a safety chair to get in, and that the room number was 2102, which is probably a high floor. No items were missing and there were no signs of a struggle. He checked in alone. Police will check CCTV to see if anybody entered or left the room.

(1) I think that is a typo, yes .. and you mean safety chain? (no worries, we all do it ...)

(2) How can we all read the same report?

I want to know, because before Thai Visa lights up and spend 20 pages ranting .. a room 21 stories up, with the safety chain in place, is a very interesting plot twist.

Unless Spider Man has turned to a life of homicide !!

Why wouldn't they investigate. It probably wouldn't take much to do a proper investigation unless their Som Tam is getting cold.

1. Were his fingerprints the only ones on the knife.

2. Assuming they are his prints ONLY. Were the prints in the right place for someone cutting his own throat.

3. If you cut your own throat, which is not unheard of, but rare, might there be blood in very specific places for such an act.

4. Where was his body in relation to the blood and knife?

5. Was the knife in his dominant hand. Look for a selfie to determine the dominant hand.

6. I wonder if police have ever heard of "hesitation marks". Any of those?

7. No signs of a struggle, but really how close did they look? Any unexplained marks, cuts, scratches or bruises on his body?

...and I'm sure there are a few other specific questions that can be asked and investigated assuming they could be bothered.

If the word is 'safety chain' rather than 'safety chair' then it looks like suicide. Sad, if so. To all reading this thread: if you meet someone who's lonely or sad, try to cheer 'em up. As a farang coming to and residing in Thailand for a third of a century, I've noticed farang men (particularly middle aged and older) rarely if ever get eye contact when out and about town. Come on guys, it's ok to love or even idolize Thais, but don't be so standoffish when seeing a 'stranger' in public. I don't go to bars, but I do have the occasion to meet farang men my age once in awhile. They're travelers, like me. Without exception, every man I converse with has interesting stories to tell. One guy told me about sneaking out of Czechoslovakia on foot, across hundreds of miles - to gain freedom from Soviet domination. Another told me about captaining a small pleasure boat with Rod Stewart as guest. Open up. It wasn't so long ago we were all schoolboys running around the sandlot, yelling at our buddies to 'pass the ball'

Definitely a suicide!

Today's easiest and fastest ways are:

=> slit your own throat;

=> hang yourself without a chair with your hands tied behind your back;

=> jump off the balcony with the balcony door locked behind you;

=> put a bullet through your head with the gun absent;

=> get involved in a very successful sexual act with an empty wallet;

=> death from a multiple stab wounds in your back;

=> death from a single gunshot through your right temple holding the smoking gun in your left hand;

=> death from a multiple gunshots to your head...

Any more ideas?

BTW, I've heard these Polish men are very crafty. tongue.png

Edited by ABCer

(1) I think that is a typo, yes .. and you mean safety chain? (no worries, we all do it ...)

(2) How can we all read the same report?

I want to know, because before Thai Visa lights up and spend 20 pages ranting .. a room 21 stories up, with the safety chain in place, is a very interesting plot twist.

Unless Spider Man has turned to a life of homicide !!

Yes, typo, sorry. Safety chain.

The original story (in Thai) is available at

http://manager.co.th/Crime/ViewNews.aspx?NewsID=9580000081292&Keyword=%e2%bb%e1%c5%b9%b4%ec

It names the victim, but doesn't give much more information than in the OP and the details I added.

They do say "as to property, there was nothing missing" but it is fair to ask how they can know that for certain.

Not easy to cut your own throat!

Also not easy to cut your own wrists.

But people sometimes do.

Even in countries where every death of a foreigner is not regarded as a cover for a more suspicious crime.............................wink.png