Thai govt to stay until 2017: Official

webfact

Thai Junta Govt to Stay Until 2017: Official
By Khaosod English

14373712071437371221l.jpg
Junta chairman Gen. Prayuth attending a business conference at Plaza Athenee Hotel in Bangkok, 16 July 2015

BANGKOK — Thailand will not see an elected government until early 2017, according to the deputy chairman of the junta’s interim parliament, the National Legislative Assembly (NLA).

Peerasak Porchit told reporters in Lopburi province on 18 July that he believes the "road map" promised by the ruling junta, which seized power from an elected government in May 2014, may be extended yet again in order to prepare for the referendum on the new constitution.

Under the current schedule, which has seen the date for elections postponed several times, the referendum for the junta-drafted charter will take place in January 2016, followed by a national election in September 2016, if the charter passes the vote.

But Peerasak said he believes referendum date may have to be postponed.

"I believe that we won't be able to hold a referendum in early 2016, because, according to the procedures, we have to print and send charter drafts to 80 percent of all households, which are about 28 million households," Peerasak said. "That will take a lot of time."

He said he expects the referendum to take place in February 2016, followed by an election in December 2016, with the new government taking office in early 2017.

"Therefore, I believe that this government will stay until early 2017," Peerasak said. "And it will be able to deliberate on the budget for 2017 fiscal year, which will be passed by the NLA. This will benefit the people."

Thailand’s last election took place in February 2013, when then-Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra called a snap poll in response to anti-government street protests calling for her resignation. The opposition Democrat Party boycotted the poll, and protesters blockaded voting stations in parts of Bangkok and 14 southern provinces.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1437371207

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2015-07-20

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Apparently the junta requires more time to line their pockets with money in this period of declining economic activity. At their age, I doubt the future success of the country is what occupies their minds, but instead what wealth can they accumulate to ensure that they and their family are able to overcome any hardships that the general populace may face.

Or perhaps I am wrong... perhaps the junta are equating a constitution with laws? A constitution is not to hard to draw up... it should not take more than a couple of nights. Just pick one from any civilized country as a template. Voilà!

Edited by Gumballl

Good. Better than any others there have been since Thaksin first came to power.

Meanwhile the nation's economy is imploding in a way unlike any government since Thaksin first came to power and the country is being led by an egomaniac that media around the world regards as (their words, not mine) "a twerp".

Still, new submarines are inevitably on the way.

I do not believe this will go well with the people.

Only the people in TV will even notice it, so don't get your knickers in a knot about something that doesn't concern yourself.

And the Fat Lady has not even landed at Swampy yet !

Yes the USD has done rather well over the last 15 months. Perhaps you could tell us which currencies it hasn't appreciated against, or even which have fared better than the THB?

Apparently the junta requires more time to line their pockets with money in this period of declining economic activity. At their age, I doubt the future success of the country is what occupies their minds, but instead what wealth can they accumulate to ensure that they and their family are able to overcome any hardships that the general populace may face.

Or perhaps I am wrong... perhaps the junta are equating a constitution with laws? A constitution is not to hard to draw up... it should not take more than a couple of nights. Just pick one from any civilized country as a template. Voilà!

And your evidence is??

Think your name describes your brain.

Rubbish. what about he 15 million of those that are illiterate. Every Thai has a T.V, you must broadcast a charter draft. Air it on Mr Prayth chat show every day in script and voice over after each prime time news program.