Norwegian Air - Pretty Good!

craigt3365

Just got back from Stockholm on Norwegian Air. I have to say we were impressed. We flew cattle class, but that's the norm.

The planes are really state of the art. Larger windows with push button dimming. Very good seat back entertainment system. USB and 220v chargers. Food that's available was actually very good. Staff was OK also. Nice seats.

The plane has some sort of lighting system that is automatically controlled. After dinner, it slowly went into a night time mode and as we were getting ready for breakfast, the lights slowly started to get brighter. Until just before service when they came on 100%. The pressurization is also suppose to be better, I guess simulating a lower altitude.

Very cool. And at $350 one way with reserved seat, food and checked luggage, not bad!

I think they do free wifi on certain flights. I booked with them once but had to cancel my ticket unfortunately. They do look great value and I trust the Norwegians

EDIT just looked and you can get a return to Oslo for around £270 inc taxes. Thats crazy cheap. Inc the flights to and from Gatwick its a little as £330, unless there's some extra charges I didn't see.

Edited by fish fingers

LED mood lighting and large windows? That's a 787 Dreamliner: http://norwegian.com/showroomdreamliner/

I was tempted until I saw the seats they fit in business class:

23AC8E1000000578-2777132-image-3_1417550

A bit of a let-down from the lie-flat Cirrus seats that most airlines seem to fit now in business class:

cirrus_3_-_older_images_from_sicma_-_WEB

even cheap airlines like Vietnam are fitting them:

54d9e582120440b682c9331a767f2254-vietnam

Edited by KittenKong

What meals did you have and did they serve alcohol?

We had an option of 2 meals. Chicken pasta or beef curry, both were very good and had a few side dishes. We pre ordered it, came with a beer or wine. Can't remember the price. Breakfast was a ham and cheese sandwich, cookie, juice, and coffee or tea. I ordered a bottle of wine off the seat front system. Used a credit card and it was there quickly. Not cheap, but pretty much the same for all budget airlines.

What extras did you have to pay for.

I do Oslo-Bkk regular and they never much cheaper than Emirates or Qatar so not thought it worth it with the add ons.

Nice to know they ok though in case i need to use them.

Extras were checked bag, assigned seat andnfood. Didnt add up to that much.

Can't help you with the biz seats, but economy were better than most. And for the price, tough to beat. Service was very good. And I've flown many budget airlines around the world. This one was the best. IMHO

Craigt3365!!

I wholly agree with you, have done that trip several times and has never been let down.... Good service, good airtrip and an overall positive trip I must say....

We have had a LOT of nej-sayers in i.e. Sweden who cannot stop complaining, but these guys are complaining about everything new that comes along!!!! We called it the "jante-law" in Sweden and it is typical for us.....sory to say!!

Glegolo

LED mood lighting and large windows? That's a 787 Dreamliner: http://norwegian.com/showroomdreamliner/

I was tempted until I saw the seats they fit in business class:

23AC8E1000000578-2777132-image-3_1417550

Anything to make a good story? As you probably know, that is not business class, but premium class. It is just a little bit more expensive than economy class and a real bargain if you ask me. There is no business class on Norwegian.

WB

Craigt3365!!

I wholly agree with you, have done that trip several times and has never been let down.... Good service, good airtrip and an overall positive trip I must say....

We have had a LOT of nej-sayers in i.e. Sweden who cannot stop complaining, but these guys are complaining about everything new that comes along!!!! We called it the "jante-law" in Sweden and it is typical for us.....sory to say!!

Glegolo

It would have been an even better experience if we could have used the other terminal. Not sure the number, but man, is it beautiful. And when I was there, deserted! The terminal we used was PACKED! But, had a great draft beer, plate of smoked salmon and a shrimp salad before we left. Awesome.

If you compare it's not so much cheaper when you add on drinks, meal etc. they have had a lot of problems and complaints on the JFK-ARN route and I also heard a lot of problems USA to Oslo and London.

Seat wise the premium have better seats then most other airlines premium.

The add on's are not cheap. But IMHO, the food was much better. I'd be willing to pay for food if it is this quality. What I get in cattle class on many other airlines is barely edible.

I chose these guys due to a very cheap one way fare. Not all airlines allow you to do this at such a low fare. Allowed me to easily do an open jaw trip. Which was for me, a huge cost savings.

The bill for booze can really add up. I guess it's a good thing. Didn't drink that much! thumbsup.gif

Anything to make a good story? As you probably know, that is not business class, but premium class. It is just a little bit more expensive than economy class and a real bargain if you ask me. There is no business class on Norwegian.

Their offer came up at business class prices on a business class search from a search engine. I didnt think it was worth having at that price, no matter what they call it.

OK if you're just going to their destination airport but why can't they arrange some onward/feeder connections?

For me the upcoming Eurowings service looks more attractive with better connections and cheaper.

They do . The one ways i looked at to AMS and ORY were about 204 euros. I can pick up an Easyjet from these cities to the UK.

Craigt3365!!

Glegolo

"Jante-law" come from Denmark and in basic means something like : "You are not better than us" ... very simplified tho it could be good to use some Jante-law in Thailand against the BKK hi-so, RTP trying to smuggle guns in airports, Thai officials, Ms. Popcorn etc. etc. to teach them "You are not better than us" thumbsup.gif

OK if you're just going to their destination airport but why can't they arrange some onward/feeder connections?

For me the upcoming Eurowings service looks more attractive with better connections and cheaper.

I will be flying to Alicante in August and will be using Norwegian so appreciate all the feedback.

They are the only airline with decent connection times flying from BKK with KLM being the next

best but they require an overnight in Schiphol.

Clearly depends on your destination. No same day connections to or from Vie or Muc.

And high prices with Norwegian from Bkk in March 2016. Cheapest is Eu 318 OW to Osl without food or baggage.

Anyway, it's good that Eurowings will offer an alternative. Competition can only benefit the customer. Wake up Tony !

Flying 3 times a year out of BKK to Europe and US for 5 years this was one of the best experiences I have had when I flew them to CPH earlier this year.

Of the numerous airlines I have tried Norwegian long distance and ANA are the only two where I would book again (always fly in economy).

They have the basic ticket with only hand luggage and nothing else.

For about $80 you can add on, one bag, 2 meals and seat selection.

Dreamliner configuration is 3-3-3 but in the back there are a couple of rows with 2-3-2, felt there were more room than usually on long distance in Y.

Entertainment system excellent with the nice feature that if you want to order something you do it through that system, simply swipe your card at the start of the trip and you pay at the end. I ordered multiple things and they were at my seat within a few minutes.

They had a lot of issues when they started up because of a lack of planes and they had to do a change to an older model with less leg room and it caused delays and cancellations but they seem to have gotten things on the right path..

You get what you pay for and they are a discount airline so a lot add ons you have to be on the look out for but I would no hesitate to fly them long distance again if the price adds up and if the price is the same as SAS, Lufthansa or any of the legacy carriers I think I would choose Norwegian.

Edited by spacemand

A Friend who flew Norwegian Air said it was very good but very restricted on leg room. Does anyone know what the seat pitch is?

http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Norwegian_Air_Shuttle/Norwegian_Air_Shuttle_Boeing_787-8.php Which is pretty standard these days, Lufthansa on their 380's have 31/17

Maybe because I had extremely low expectations but like I said above I liked flying with them I was in 34C which certainly helped.

I just flew an Air Canada Dream Liner from Tokyo to Toronto. An excellent plane. More leg room

in cattle class and excellent in flight entertainment system. thumbsup.gif

Edited by Ulic

Ive used Norwegian between Stockholm and Bangkok several times. The Dreamliners are great new planes. The food and snacks can be ordered by using a creditcard, it tastes good and are affordable. The prepaid food doesnt taste good and are not value for money.