Singapore accommodation and currency exchange options

Chongalulu

my wife and I are taking our daughter to drop her off at NTU university on 5 August and staying 3 nights. Daughter already has accommodation on campus so 2 of us would like to stay nearby,or somewhere easily accessible by public transport. NTU Is in west jurong area where there appears not to be much in the way of hotels or private residences . Found a studio apartment via airbnb in Bukit timah road at $140 night which they say is 30 mins by bus or 15 by taxi. I've never been to Singapore or used airbnb before so looking for some tips. There are some hotels,mostly 11/12 kilometres away but not sure how they connect via public transport or whether taxis(we'll take one from airport to NTU) for general method of getting around is reasonable? Also while our daughter is doing things on this induction week access to the centre for wife and I is a consideration.Would I be better getting my Singapore dollars here in thailand or taking Thai baht to exchange there. On that subject,I have a normal account with kasikorn,so can I send ,transferSingapore dollars there (to avoid 2 lots of exchange rates) . I normally use a currency exchange organisation in UK to send baht. Grateful for any advice on this and Singapore in general. We're all uk Passport holders

Edited by nchuckle

Hello. I am a Brit currently in Singapore, for about 13 years.

Money wise, you would get a better exchange rate sending via a telegraphic transfer, I take it you would send to your daughters bank in Singapore.

There are money changers for cash in most shopping centres if you want to bring Baht with you. I wouldn't change in Thailand, do it here.

Jurong West is a bit out of the way for hotels, but must be some around.

You could stay somewhere more central, the MRT runs from the central area to Joo Koon, near Jurong West and is easy to use, it is also quick. You would need to get a Taxi from the MRT station to the university though so you may as well get a Taxi in the first place.

If funds allow though, you can just use taxis, they are priced ok and the drivers speak English.

I have just done a Google search for "hotels near Jurong West Singapore" and found various options, nearer than Bukit Timah Road.

Can book on line.

Generally very easy to get around Singapore but avoid travel at peak times as it can get busy on the roads.

Edited by soihok