Question re high and low ride pickups

giddyup

Pickups are usually designed with high ground clearance so they can be taken into rough ground such as dry rice fields. After-market lowering of a pickup may create the illusion of better handling, the centre of gravity is lowered. However, clearances of mudguards and spring stops are altered for the worse, and in extreme cases it's a good way to wipe out a sump.

There's a six-letter word starting with "W" for people with lowered utes.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At last, I've got to the end of this troll-infested thread!

Poor giddyup (no condescension implied!)

I feel your pain!

I have the non-technical and non-street-racer response to your original question.............

BUT FIRST, let me present my credentials.

This was my ride in South Africa, with a Lexus V8 and all the trimmings:

MANY APOLOGIES FOR NOT BEING ABLE TO ROTATE THIS MOFO!!

post-189147-0-13941400-1437551966_thumb.

When I moved to Phuket, I bought a 2x4 Hilux; a powerless pussy of a diesel.................with lowered (below standard) suspension.

post-189147-0-68102300-1437552741_thumb.

Very occasionally I envy the 4x4 drivers, but the point of having a lowered pickup is that there's good roadability with low profile tyres being possible, and the load bin providing storage space for all types of stuff that you wouldn't want to put in a nice hatchback (corpses, garden refuse, etc.).

I find it a good compromise.

I'm not sure about Toyota (etc.) dealers offering so many types of ride height and maybe they do, but my ideal is as shown.

laugh.pnglaugh.png

Are you talking about lowered rides or just the basic models, not the high riders?

The basic, normal height models can be seen everywhere.

My question was, have these pickups been lowered or did they come from the factory like that? So, I wasn't asking about the normal height pickups, but the low ride models. It appears that there is a factory made "low ride" in the cheaper base models, but owners obviously lower some themselves as well.

I guess it's a stupid fashion thing,...Personally I saw lot's of low riders got damaged on speed bumps or that could not continue into a road with speed bumps.

Even on small hills they get stuck.....and damaged.....and when they come down hill they get damaged again when they get to the flat part of the road....

post-218873-0-61699700-1437553195_thumb.

post-218873-0-08071000-1437553273_thumb.

post-218873-0-80964500-1437553295_thumb.

post-218873-0-32216000-1437553343_thumb.

Are you talking about lowered rides or just the basic models, not the high riders?

The basic, normal height models can be seen everywhere.

My question was, have these pickups been lowered or did they come from the factory like that? So, I wasn't asking about the normal height pickups, but the low ride models. It appears that there is a factory made "low ride" in the cheaper base models, but owners obviously lower some themselves as well.

I guess it's a stupid fashion thing,...Personally I saw lot's of low riders got damaged on speed bumps or that could not continue into a road with speed bumps.

Even on small hills they get stuck.....and damaged.....and when they come down hill they get damaged again when they get to the flat part of the road....

Just some Downloads from the net.....!!!

The low rise pickups are the standard. That's why the raised ones have names like Highlander or Hi Racer. The jacked up ones were originally predominantly 4WD in the west for people who needed to take them off road. A jacked up 2WD to me is a fashion statement. Who would buy a 2WD Range Rover? I admit I don't actually need a highrise, or 4WD (only had to use it a dozen times in 7 years, and half of those was playing in the mud). 4WD gives me a lot of confidence in a rainstorm though, high RWD, nose heavy truck just asking to slide/spin on a bend.

"I quite often see pickups of different brands, Isuzu, Mitsu, Toyota etc, that have around the same road clearance as a normal sedan. My question is, have these pickups been lowered or did they come from the factory like that? I can't say I've ever seen a low ride pickup in a showroom or advertised on TV, so I assume they have all been lowered aftermarket, but why?"

The answer to your question is that any pickup that has the same ground/wheel arch clearance as a normal car has been lowered, they do not come from the factory that way.

Lowering is done because in some eyes it looks good, sometimes it enhances handling and some owners lower them because they don't need a comparatively high riding vehicle as their pickup was bought just as normal transport not for carrying heavy loads.

Edited by Sviss Geez

A few posts have been removed. Please abide by forum rules:

7) You will respect fellow members and post in a civil manner. No personal attacks, hateful or insulting towards other members, (flaming) Stalking of members on either the forum or via PM will not be allowed.

8) You will not post disruptive or inflammatory messages, vulgarities, obscenities or profanities.

9) You will not post inflammatory messages on the forum, or attempt to disrupt discussions to upset its participants, or trolling. Trolling can be defined as the act of purposefully antagonizing other people on the internet by posting controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant or off-topic messages with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional response or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion.

but why?

O come on ... surly you can work that one out yourself ... have a go

Instead of being a smart ar*e, just answer my questions, I wouldn't ask if I already knew the answers. Do they come from the factory like that or don't you know? And the word is surely, not surly.

Simple answer. Because it makes them look cool.

At last, I've got to the end of this troll-infested thread!

Poor giddyup (no condescension implied!)

I feel your pain!

I have the non-technical and non-street-racer response to your original question.............

BUT FIRST, let me present my credentials.

This was my ride in South Africa, with a Lexus V8 and all the trimmings:

MANY APOLOGIES FOR NOT BEING ABLE TO ROTATE THIS MOFO!!

When I moved to Phuket, I bought a 2x4 Hilux; a powerless pussy of a diesel.................with lowered (below standard) suspension.

Very occasionally I envy the 4x4 drivers, but the point of having a lowered pickup is that there's good roadability with low profile tyres being possible, and the load bin providing storage space for all types of stuff that you wouldn't want to put in a nice hatchback (corpses, garden refuse, etc.).

I find it a good compromise.

I'm not sure about Toyota (etc.) dealers offering so many types of ride height and maybe they do, but my ideal is as shown.

laugh.pnglaugh.png

I own a pickup myself, a 2014 Mitsu Triton, and one of the things I love about it, besides the great ground clearance, is that the height gives much better vision of the road ahead, something you lose of course once it's lowered.

Some Young Folks like that stuff, i did. now im just an old fart,who enjoys Young Folk doing the same.There are some sad old folks who post here Si.biggrin.png .

Fully agree. I know this is about pickups or utes as we call them back home, and guess who invented them, the Aussies from Ford Australia and it was first sold in 1934.

1934_ute_brochure.jpg

but a little divergence. Just over a year ago bought my wife the new Toyota Esport. Lowered already, and a full body kit and goes like the power of for a 1.8 litre and hangs on like hell. She's getting there at 51, I am well and truly there. I remember my first car an EH Holden, lowered all round, wide wheels, everything chromed under the bonnet that cold be and had the bonnet removed so everyone could see.

Nothing's changed much, even when I got older, I'm talking old, I bought a number of Holden Special Vehicles over the years, All fully worked, cocked up street legal vehicles fitted with V8's. You still find many older altered vehicles back home but the cops come down heavy unless they have certification. I hope no one thought I was Thai bashing when I said no one knows what's in their minds, I should have been a little clearer. I was referring to the way they drive, it can be actually frightening if around them when they're out in force with their hotties.

Edited by Si Thea01

Fully agree. I know this is about pickups or utes as we call them back home, and guess who invented them, the Aussies from Ford Australia and it was first sold in 1934.

An Aussie pig farmer's wife might be the one commonly attributed to suggesting the 'ute', but pickups came along way before then... there was even one based on the Ford Model T...

An Aussie pig farmer's wife might be the one commonly attributed to suggesting the 'ute', but pickups came along way before then... there was even one based on the Ford Model T...

There were Armstrong Siddeley utes being used in Australia in the 50's,

post-130068-0-64000000-1437559476_thumb.

Edited by giddyup

Some Young Folks like that stuff, i did. now im just an old fart,who enjoys Young Folk doing the same.There are some sad old folks who post here Si.biggrin.png .

1934_ute_brochure.jpg

but a little divergence. Just over a year ago bought my wife the new Toyota Esport. Lowered already, and a full body kit and goes like the power of for a 1.8 litre and hangs on like hell. She's getting there at 51, I am well and truly there. I remember my first car an EH Holden, lowered all round, wide wheels, everything chromed under the bonnet that cold be and had the bonnet removed so everyone could see.

Nothing's changed much, even when I got older, I'm talking old, I bought a number of Holden Special Vehicles over the years, All fully worked, cocked up street legal vehicles fitted with V8's. You still find many older altered vehicles back home but the cops come down heavy unless they have certification. I hope no one thought I was Thai bashing when I said no one knows what's in their minds, I should have been a little clearer. I was referring to the way they drive, it can be actually frightening if around them when they're out in force with their hotties.

Here's a current Holden 4 door ute.

post-130068-0-08116700-1437559389_thumb.

All manufacturers make pickups with 2 different suspension heights. Lower-end pickups are usually fitted with the low ride height config, and then, many truck owners lower them even further with aftermarket bits. Basically, there's those that like "low riders" and those that like "high riders".

Up2u

smile.png

Thank you. It's just that I have never seen in any of the manufactures brochures a "low rider" option, so I wasn't sure if they had been done as an aftermarket option or from the factory.

I know the ones you mean and it hasn't really been clearly answered for you whether they come from the factory as low as that. Myself, I have always thought that it was a "to look cool" thing.

yeaaaaa! 39 posts to get to the answer. it looks cool. now lets add 'it happens all over the world' to the thread.

coming up next-

why do they stick plastic film which is designed to look like carbon fibre all over their cars?

'because it looks cool'

why do they do anything at all to alter the appearance of their cars?

'because it looks cool'

why do they fill half the ampur with black smoke when they pull away from the lights?

'because it looks........ well actually that looks pretty dumb as its unburnt fuel but to them it 'looks cool'

Here's a current Holden 4 door ute.

That looks like VT-VZ? i.e. not so current?

Sorry, not my field, only ever looked at pics online smile.png

You may well be right. Haven't been home for 6 years and this pic didn't have any info re model, but it may be as old as 2004..

Edited by giddyup

All manufacturers make pickups with 2 different suspension heights. Lower-end pickups are usually fitted with the low ride height config, and then, many truck owners lower them even further with aftermarket bits. Basically, there's those that like "low riders" and those that like "high riders".

Up2u

smile.png

Thank you. It's just that I have never seen in any of the manufactures brochures a "low rider" option, so I wasn't sure if they had been done as an aftermarket option or from the factory.

I know the ones you mean and it hasn't really been clearly answered for you whether they come from the factory as low as that. Myself, I have always thought that it was a "to look cool" thing.

yeaaaaa! 39 posts to get to the answer. it looks cool. now lets add 'it happens all over the world' to the thread.

coming up next-

why do they stick plastic film which is designed to look like carbon fibre all over their cars?

'because it looks cool'

'because it looks cool'

why do they fill half the ampur with black smoke when they pull away from the lights?

'because it looks........ well actually that looks pretty dumb as its unburnt fuel but to them it 'looks cool'

You missed my point. I was asking if the low ride versions came from the factory like that, and the answer is, some models do and some don't. I wasn't particularly interested in the aftermarket modded versions by boy racers, but the low ride factory pickups.

Edited by giddyup

coming up next-

'because it looks cool'

'because it looks cool'

You missed my point. I was asking if the low ride versions came from the factory like that, and the answer is, some models do and some don't. I wasn't particularly interested in the aftermarket modded versions by boy racers, but the low ride factory pickups.

They're not low ride models, they're normal, regular ride models. The others are raised up.

This has got to be the most ridiculous thread in motoring forum history.

One more on my "ignore" list coffee1.gif

They're not low ride models, they're normal, regular ride models. The others are raised up.

There's a thousand other posts out there.

It was a pretty innocent question, that just got a bit out of control.

The OP went out and bought a pickup w/out even understanding the range of options available. Lucky for him he landed on his feet with a heavily discounted Triton Plus smile.png

@OP: No offence, I still think the outgoing Triton Plus was a bargain standout in the segment, and you did even better than normal tongue.png

Edited by IMHO

The OP went out and bought a pickup w/out even understanding the range of options available. Lucky for him he landed on his feet with a heavily discounted Triton Plus smile.png

@OP: No offense tongue.png

No, I didn't I well researched what I wanted before I bought and am perfectly happy with my choice. I would not have been the slightest bit interested in purchasing a low ride model. My question, 7 months after I bought the Triton, is because a neighbour has in fact a low ride model, and I wanted to know if it could have come from the factory like that or been modified after. With some of the more sensible answers I've received, it appears that he has a modified pickup. Does that clear it up for you IMHO?

@OP: No offense tongue.png

No, I didn't I well researched what I wanted before I bought and am perfectly happy with my choice. I would not have been the slightest bit interested in purchasing a low ride model. My question, 7 months after I bought the Triton, is because a neighbour has in fact a low ride model, and I wanted to know if it could have come from the factory like that or been modified after. With some of the more sensible answers I've received, it appears that he has a modified pickup. Does that clear it up for you IMHO?

I really wasn't having "a go" at you, mate. All good :)

Can't read anymore so don't know if anyone has said that some dudes think a low rider is cool. Low used to be cool in the States. Now not so much. At least in Cali. But trucks that have been raised up are more popular. Sometimes so high I think it would be hard to see objects and landmarks like curbs. 5555

Only have seen a couple "monster" trucks with "ghetto blasters" in Patts.

Can't read anymore so don't know if anyone has said that some dudes think a low rider is cool. Low used to be cool in the States. Now not so much. At least in Cali. But trucks that have been raised up are more popular. Sometimes so high I think it would be hard to see objects and landmarks like curbs. 5555

Only have seen a couple "monster" trucks with "ghetto blasters" in Patts.

In Thailand we also have:

pic-1376710917.jpg

:D