Forum maintenance tonight from approx. 11pm - 1.30am ×

Will Suvarnabhumi Open 28 Sept 2006 After The Coup?

svenivan

Do you think the military will open Suvarnabhumi as planned or do you think they want to wait until the airport, people working there, airliners etc is ready for it?

I don't think they want another chaos so they will probably postpone the opening.

We don't know. We lost Pongsak, the unbeatable Transport Minister, who acted like a pure performer : Franck Sinatra was like a dull glass of water compare to Super Energetic Khun Pongsak !

I'm going to miss him.

I'm sad.

So long, Pong-Pongsak.

You'll not participate to the official opening. I know, that's harsh. But life is. :o

I think just losing him fixed the airport in a major way...

Regardless of the day, with him out I now have more faith that the problems that may arise will be more manageable, and much better managed.

I sense they will get an accurate picture from those in the know who will be all too happy to tell the truth to someone who’s willing to hear it, and make a decision accordingly.

Certainly a benefit of the timing. They can take stock and make sure a national embarrassment is not about to occur.

If the military would like to get Thaksin back into Thailand..Invite him to officiate the opening of the airport...With his ego, he could not refuse...

That’s the funny thing. Plans for the opening ceremony apparently went sideways as I heard some key people rejected the invitation to participate.

Contrary to other major infrastructure achievements, there’s been no announcement about a ceremony. I remember the subway, publicity of the ceremony nearly a month out.

I guess some of us are not the only folks with the jitters?

If the military would like to get Thaksin back into Thailand..Invite him to officiate the opening of the airport...With his ego, he could not refuse...

That’s the funny thing. Plans for the opening ceremony apparently went sideways as I heard some key people rejected the invitation to participate.

Contrary to other major infrastructure achievements, there’s been no announcement about a ceremony. I remember the subway, publicity of the ceremony nearly a month out.

I guess some of us are not the only folks with the jitters?

No problem....CF and I will do it a week on Friday.....around @ 3-00pm if thats OK..... :o

I just read this in The Nation:

Suvarnabhumi Airport opens on schedule

Suvarnabhumi Airport will start full operation according to the schedule of Sept 28, 2006, said Gen Sonthi Boonyaratglin today.

Earlier, there were speculations that the coup might further delay the opening of the new airport.

Airports of Thailand Plc (AOT) officials also confirmed that Suvarnabhumi Airport would start full operation as scheduled of September 28, 2006.

So now we know!

Do you think the military will open Suvarnabhumi as planned or do you think they want to wait until the airport, people working there, airliners etc is ready for it?

I don't think they want another chaos so they will probably postpone the opening.

An excellent question and one that's really not going to be answered for a while.

If I were BA or SQ or another foreign airline just on the verge of making a huge investment in time and manpower to transfer all my operations on the night of September 27, I think I would be very edgy indeed. Whatever choice they make, they now face a huge risk of utter and total chaos for the foreseeable future.

As a lot of folks say, 'Welcome to Thailand!'

You are all obsessed by this bloody airport,i mean there has just been a coup one of my first thoughts would not be is the airport going to open in time :D:o

Well to each his own, but you too did seem to navigate to this thread? :D

To answer your question, this is a major project of national importance regardless of who is in power. A lot of "face" could be lost if it went wrong. And I would assume the new crew would not like to have a major airport and public relations mess to clean-up on top of all their other duties.

Because, they've done it already. Long time ago. In september 2005 !

:o

Thaksin Flying Circus and the "The Official but not too much Soft Opening". Remember ?

Ah... I guess it was another era.

Anyway, to celebrate the defeat of the tyran, I'm ready to stop mocking the opening of Suva.

You see, I make a huge sacrifice.

:D

I really have a good mood.

Edited by cclub75

You are all obsessed by this bloody airport,i mean there has just been a coup one of my first thoughts would not be is the airport going to open in time :D:o

Well, if the airport is open that means people can leave if they so choose. Plus, the opening of an international airport is a sign of returning to normalcy just as the opening of the Baghdad International Airport was a boost for the moral of the Iraqi people and allowed for resources to enter and leave the country. Drink a beer, chill out.

Lot of folk just north of here think a coup is a femail bull. :D

The official announcement came from AOT, it appears they are on track to open it no matter what. The generals can override them, of course. It's not very high on list of their priorities at the moment. Unlike Bhagdad airport Thailand's Don Muang hasn't stopped functioning for a moment, and I'm sure there will no normalcy when the new airport opens. Let's just hope there are no major porblems or catastrophies.