Thai Police gear up to enforce Public Gatherings Act in mid August

webfact

Well, cheerleaders. Please explain to me how this is a good thing.

Same as in my country you need a permit to protest, you need to inform the authorities so they can have police ready. Sometimes they won't allow you to protest.

So not that different from other civilized countries, so they can make sure there is enough police and toilets ect.

By law you must tell the police in writing 6 days before a public march if you’re the organiser.

Tell the police the:

• date and time of the march
  • route
  • the names and addresses of the organisers

The police have the power to:

• limit or change the route of your march
  • set any other condition of your march

https://www.gov.uk/protests-and-marches-letting-the-police-know

It must be reassuring for you to know that your homeland shares a common philosophy towards public protest as a country run by a military regime which is under constant criticism from the international community for its abrogation of human rights.

Doesn't all that sand make your ears itch?

Actually it shows that this is not a crazy law at all and is used in other countries too. But let the junta bashers have their fun.

Why is it that when the Thai authorities announce they're going to do something.... many TV posters never believe they'll do it.

Until they announce something that fits some unwavering conspiracy theory. Then, we need to take the announcements dead seriously, and the sky is falling.

Wake me up when they start pulling out fingernails. Until now, I'm pretty favorably impressed by what they junta have done.

It would be so nice to see what they have done, especially what they have done to boost economy, to gain income, to boost tourism.

The economy is the most important for any country, can you please let us know what favorable they did .

Seems even in the good old USA a permit is needed for a protest

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protest_permit

No one is denying that similar rules exist in other countries. It's the implementation of the rules that has many of us concerned.

I think only the most ardent junta cheerleaders cannot acknowledge that the chances that these rules won't be used to the benefit of the powers that be are slim at best.

Same as in my country you need a permit to protest, you need to inform the authorities so they can have police ready. Sometimes they won't allow you to protest.

So not that different from other civilized countries, so they can make sure there is enough police and toilets ect.

By law you must tell the police in writing 6 days before a public march if you’re the organiser.

Tell the police the:

• date and time of the march
  • route
  • the names and addresses of the organisers

The police have the power to:

• limit or change the route of your march
  • set any other condition of your march

https://www.gov.uk/protests-and-marches-letting-the-police-know

And of course this law will be applied equally and without bias, and never be used to give one side advantage over the other.

If it is then it will be the only one. First time for everything but don't hold your breath!

No one is denying that similar rules exist in other countries. It's the implementation of the rules that has many of us concerned.

I think only the most ardent junta cheerleaders cannot acknowledge that the chances that these rules won't be used to the benefit of the powers that be are slim at best.

You guys became awfully quiet after i posted that similar rules are in the other countries.....

You change your tune now.. you say the law will be abused. (its not even in the books yet) so there is no proof of abuse.

You only suspect it

Thing is there is no proof of abuse.. will you acknowledge this .. and acknowledge that there are similar rules in other countries.

So you guys got your panties in a twist prematurely.

It must be reassuring for you to know that your homeland shares a common philosophy towards public protest as a country run by a military regime which is under constant criticism from the international community for its abrogation of human rights.

Doesn't all that sand make your ears itch?

Actually it shows that this is not a crazy law at all and is used in other countries too. But let the junta bashers have their fun.

Yes but the Junta bashers prefer a government that allows protests, but fails to police or protect them, stop murderous attacks on them or make any attempt to catch those responsible.

Remember when dear Yingluck was saying how people should be allowed to protest whilst that bastion of justice Chalerm was warning he couldn't protect them from the hidden third hand he predicted might attack them probably sometime later that day?

The current government introduce a law in keeping with the US, UK, NL and most first world countries. But the bashers want to pretend it's a fascist attempt to block protest. Same old rhetoric.

You guys became awfully quiet after i posted that similar rules are in the other countries.....

You change your tune now.. you say the law will be abused. (its not even in the books yet) so there is no proof of abuse.

You only suspect it

Thing is there is no proof of abuse.. will you acknowledge this .. and acknowledge that there are similar rules in other countries.

If you really think there is any chance these rules will be enforced in a fair and transparent manner then I will have some of what you're smoking...coffee1.gif

Why is it that when the Thai authorities announce they're going to do something.... many TV posters never believe they'll do it.

Until they announce something that fits some unwavering conspiracy theory. Then, we need to take the announcements dead seriously, and the sky is falling.

Wake me up when they start pulling out fingernails. Until now, I'm pretty favorably impressed by what they junta have done.

It would be so nice to see what they have done, especially what they have done to boost economy, to gain income, to boost tourism.

The economy is the most important for any country, can you please let us know what favorable they did .

Flash back to a week before the coup:

Key areas of Bangkok were taken over by groups of "campers" in different colored tents.

Armed thugs were posted as "security" to protect their campers from the roving bands of other campers. Anyone they thought was a threat stood a good chance of being accosted.

Occasionally, campers from different colored tents were shooting at the other colored tents. People lost body parts. People were killed.

Bombs were going off, people lost body parts.

In parts of town, the roving campers were fighting with police (not to be confused with the military). Shots were fired, along with tear gas. People lost body parts.

Our company's Thai security consultants suggested we move our office out of the Asoke area in case things did get truly ugly- a real possibility they claimed.

We were offered accommodations in Hua Hin if we didn't want to stay in Bangkok. (And our company is cheap. They wouldn't have offered it if it wasn't serious) I stayed.

Bangkok was a powder keg, just waiting for a match. There were plenty of groups willing to strike that match if they didn’t get what they demanded. And "what they demanded” was in direct conflict with what the other campers demanded. There was no peaceful, diplomatic way out of the situation.

And you want to ask about economic growth and tourism? No tourist in the world goes to a smoking heap of ashes. Economies don’t flourish when people have to cross a battle zone to get to work. And that was a very real possibility in the weeks leading up to the coup. (2010 and Zen ring any bells?)

Within a week after the coup, the roads opened, the campers went home and bullets and bombs quit going off. Nobody's been tortured, nobody has been disappeared, it's business as usual for Bangkok. Tourism is flourishing (with the exception of the Russkies, who have their own problems) They're spooling up the disastrous rice program. Boondoggles seem to be on a decline.

I don't know about you, but I'm favorably impressed.

Edited by impulse

Flash back to a week before the coup:

Key areas of Bangkok were taken over by groups of "campers" in different colored tents.

Armed thugs were posted as "security" to protect their campers from the roving bands of other campers. Anyone they thought was a threat stood a good chance of being accosted.

Occasionally, campers from different colored tents were shooting at the other colored tents. People lost body parts. People were killed.

Bombs were going off, people lost body parts.

In parts of town, the roving campers were fighting with police (not to be confused with the military). Shots were fired, along with tear gas. People lost body parts.

Our company's Thai security consultants suggested we move our office out of the Asoke area in case things did get truly ugly- a real possibility they claimed.

We were offered accommodations in Hua Hin if we didn't want to stay in Bangkok. (And our company is cheap. They wouldn't have offered it if it wasn't serious) I stayed.

Bangkok was a powder keg, just waiting for a match. There were plenty of groups willing to strike that match if they didn’t get what they demanded. And "what they demanded” was in direct conflict with what the other campers demanded. There was no peaceful, diplomatic way out of the situation.

And you want to ask about economic growth and tourism? No tourist in the world goes to a smoking heap of ashes. Economies don’t flourish when people have to cross a battle zone to get to work. And that was a very real possibility in the weeks leading up to the coup. (2010 and Zen ring any bells?)

Within a week after the coup, the roads opened, the campers went home and bullets and bombs quit going off. Nobody's been tortured, nobody has been disappeared, it's business as usual for Bangkok. Tourism is flourishing (with the exception of the Russkies, who have their own problems) They're spooling up the disastrous rice program. Boondoggles seem to be on a decline.

I don't know about you, but I'm favorably impressed.

I and many others would have been much more favorably impressed if Prayut had announced that the army would assist the police in breaking up illegal protest sites and in ensuring a peaceful vote during the proposed July election. I doubt that any real action would have been required of the army, the statement alone would have been enough to end Suthep's fading protest.

Edited by heybruce

Just like we have a flash mob to sing and dance for a few minutes then disappear we may end up in a situation were we have flash protests....but if they get caught by the army the disappearing part may not be in the flash protesters best interests! sad.png

You only suspect it

If you really think there is any chance these rules will be enforced in a fair and transparent manner then I will have some of what you're smoking...coffee1.gif

If you want some good stuff come with me to Holland where we can smoke it safely and talk politics (that would be funny high talking Thai politics). Here in Thailand I won't smoke illegal stuff.

I don't think that it will be 100% fair but if this helps against things like red shirts leaders advocating to burn BKK and taking gasoline to BKK I am ok with it it. The red shirts have a history of violence far more so as the yellow shirts. So if this forbids them to protest in BKK and do so in Chaing Mai I am all for it. Let them burn their own backyard and cause trouble there.

A law like this will help the normal people on both sides to not be subjected to the trouble caused by protesters on both sides. I can't guarantee it will be fairly done.. but I can guarantee that it will help against protests in BKK and most people don't want protests there (of either side so this will help the MAJORITY of people.

But yes I think non red shirts who are far less violent and non political protesters will get permission easier as the violent red shirts. But that is because of the trouble they caused. Let them stage a few rallies in Chiang Mai and when that goes well and they have shown they can behave they can protest in BKK.

You only suspect it

utter nonsense yet again

there is NO correlation between letting Police know about a sizeable demo in European countries and a BAN on more than 5 gathering here

14 students jailed? you justifying such draconian acts is shameful and now you try and mislead and obfuscate AGAIN and justify these controls by the ARMY (yes read AGAIN 'by the ARMY')

Edited by LannaGuy

You only suspect it

If you want some good stuff come with me to Holland where we can smoke it safely and talk politics (that would be funny high talking Thai politics). Here in Thailand I won't smoke illegal stuff.

I don't think that it will be 100% fair but if this helps against things like red shirts leaders advocating to burn BKK and taking gasoline to BKK I am ok with it it. The red shirts have a history of violence far more so as the yellow shirts. So if this forbids them to protest in BKK and do so in Chaing Mai I am all for it. Let them burn their own backyard and cause trouble there.

A law like this will help the normal people on both sides to not be subjected to the trouble caused by protesters on both sides. I can't guarantee it will be fairly done.. but I can guarantee that it will help against protests in BKK and most people don't want protests there (of either side so this will help the MAJORITY of people.

But yes I think non red shirts who are far less violent and non political protesters will get permission easier as the violent red shirts. But that is because of the trouble they caused. Let them stage a few rallies in Chiang Mai and when that goes well and they have shown they can behave they can protest in BKK.

Been there and done that (in my "sinful" youth). Have only good but fuzzy memories from Amsterdambiggrin.png . Wish it would be legalized here in LOS but that's for another topic.

You might be right that some red elements have been more violent than their opposites but when the yellows want to get their way they use the army to do their dirty work. Instigating protests and blocking elections to create a situation where the army "have to" take power isn't exactly small potatoes.