Confused about last entry on non immigrant "O" visa

Can anyone please help clarify the following:

I have a (multiple) non-immigrant O visa, issued on january 9, 2015. Is states that I have to enter Thailand for the last time before january 8, 2016. I was given to understand at the Thai consulate in Amsterdam that I would get another 3 months out of this visa, by doing another "borderrun" just before the expirydate. Which would give a final date of about april 7, 2016 (more or less). I'm flying out of the country on march 31st, 2016, so there should be no problem there.

So far so good.

Thing is that my passport expires on september 21st, 2016. Can I expect problems at the border because on january 7, 2016 my passport is not valid for another 9 months? Or do they comply to the rule that at the time of issuing the multiple O visa the validity of the passport was still over 15 months?

Can anyone advise me? And also, is the visa still valid if I have to get a new passport in the meantime?

Thanks in advance!

You need a 6 month passport validity to cross borders in the region.

Visas remain valid even if contained within a cancelled passport. Just present both old and new passports at border.

Edited by nowretired

You will need 6 months passport validity to enter a neighboring and a validity for your length of stay when you re-enter Thailand. Even it they wanted 6 months validity you would still be well within that. It is not 6 months plus your allowed stay.