Beware of Yosemite

T_Dog

Ten years of doing upgrades on my Apple computers all have went without a hitch until two days ago when I upgraded my Mac Mini to Yosemite. Everything is slower, and the Photos App that replaces IPhoto is junk. Does not allow exports of reduced sized photos and is full of glitches such as inability to recognize USB memory media. I am going back to Mavericks as soon as I have a full day to do a back up and start the reversion process. Yosemite only appears useful if you are big into storing things on the cloud.

Try selecting the photo(s) you want to export, then click File > Export > Export (x) Photo(s).. In the next dialog, click the down arrow to the right of "Photo Kind" to access resizing and quality options. I don't us USB flash drives, so can't help on that one though :(

I had big dramas upgrading to Yosemite too. It involved the hard drive encryption process (new to Yosemite) which I had inadvertently started after the upgrade. I can't remember what happened, but it was probably a question I answered yes to, thinking nothing of it at the time.

It could not be stopped, so it continued in a continuous loop in the background, never completing and in process running my MacAir hot and making it slow. There was only one fix - a clean install from scratch. I couldn't do a backup before it either as the process interferes with that. You can't back up from a drive which is in the process of being encrypted.

There was (at the time) no information about this problem on the Apple support site, so I had to work it out for myself - and wasted a lot of time trying to fix it before clean installing my OSX.

... to make matters worse, I discovered that you can only factory reset to the original OSX which was installed at the time of purchase, which happened to be Lion... and then re-upgrade to Yosemite.

I finally downloaded Yosemite now have reinstalled 10.8.5 as I only use for

@, web and some pic work. Being an old fart, I don't need all the extra bells

and whistles and hated the file system, the loss of double clicking to open

a file/picture. Also, my AIS-21Mbps and True Move H air cards wouldn't work

with 10.10.1, but D-Link with DTAC worked fine.

rice555 from my third Mini, my first was a 67 Austin Cooper S

I believe the old iPhotos app and the iPhotos library still exist after switching to to the Photos app

Check in your apps folder - if the iPhotos app is still there just add it to your toolbar instead of Photos app

IPhotos is indeed there, but it is greyed out and has an "x" through it so it will not open. That same greying of numerous functions is becoming quite common with Yosemite on things I used to do with no problem. Luckily, I have a back-up done with Super Duper from just a few weeks ago that will let me purge this demon!

I believe the old iPhotos app and the iPhotos library still exist after switching to to the Photos app

Check in your apps folder - if the iPhotos app is still there just add it to your toolbar instead of Photos app

IPhotos is indeed there, but it is greyed out and has an "x" through it so it will not open. That same greying of numerous functions is becoming quite common with Yosemite on things I used to do with no problem. Luckily, I have a back-up done with Super Duper from just a few weeks ago that will let me purge this demon!

Good news about the back up but strange that iPhoto doesn't work for you

I did a clean install of Yosemite on a new hard drive yesterday and iPhoto wasn't installed but it was available from the App Store as a download from Purchases so I installed it from there and it worked fine with my iPhoto library

I agree with Phazey. Yes, there are a couple of new features with El Capitan, but what I am noticing is a decent improvement in "snappiness". From a recent review:

Boot up the Captain, and you can expect to switchh between apps twice as fast as Yosemite allowed. Pop open a PDF, and it should load and open four times faster than before. Launch any given app, and it should pop up about 1.4 times more quickly, thanks to behind the scenes work from Apple. These numbers are right from Apple and haven’t necessarily been tested in real world conditions like your local café’ (members of the Developer Program are no doubt on it), but you can still expect a lot of bonuses to speed.

Although it is still in its fifth beta release, El Cap is also very stable.

I agree with Phazey. Yes, there are a couple of new features with El Capitan, but what I am noticing is a decent improvement in "snappiness". From a recent review:

Boot up the Captain, and you can expect to switchh between apps twice as fast as Yosemite allowed. Pop open a PDF, and it should load and open four times faster than before. Launch any given app, and it should pop up about 1.4 times more quickly, thanks to behind the scenes work from Apple. These numbers are right from Apple and haven’t necessarily been tested in real world conditions like your local café’ (members of the Developer Program are no doubt on it), but you can still expect a lot of bonuses to speed.

Although it is still in its fifth beta release, El Cap is also very stable.

I've just noticed my thunderbolt ethernet adapter and/or internet sharing is broken.

No biggy, we live with a few band aids whilst on the bleeding edge.......

• 3 months later...

A final update: El Capitan is good and the upgrade was an easy 80 minutes! Unlike Yosemite where every application I opened would have the spinning rainbow wheel, El Capitan is fast. I had more crashes with Yosemite in that six months than I had in the prior nine years with all the prior OS versions. Looks like I am back to a happy Apple experience again. Gods Yosemite was awful.

Archived