Chiang Mai Uni researchers invent a stove fueled by corn stalks

webfact

Chiang Mai Uni researchers invent a stove fueled by corn stalks

CHIANG MAI, 23 July 2015, (NNT) - Chiang Mai University's Faculty of Agriculture researchers have invented a stove fueled by corn stalks, in the hope of replacing conventional household stoves.

The so-called bio stove is being assembled from common materials such as clay, earth, wood chips and cement, explained the inventors, adding that it is fueled by corn stalks.

According to the researchers, the stove is simple to construct and use, while a kilogram of corn stalks would produce 30 minutes of flame suitable for cooking. They estimate a household would need 10-15 kilograms of corn stalks for daily cooking.

The stove was featured in a fair promoting inventions for community use, at Chiang Mai International Exhibition and Convention Center. The innovation is an excellent and affordable waste disposal tool, say the researchers.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-07-23 footer_n.gif

Wasnt burning the corn fields a big contributor during the smokey season? If this new burner becomes popular and lots of people are burning 10-15 kg of corn stalks will it cause a problem or help by spreading the burning throughout the year in smaller amounts?

"common materials such as clay, earth, wood chips and cement, explained the inventors, adding that it is fueled by corn stalks."

so, can i invent one that burns the remains of rice stalks ?

hope it is not MONSANTO GMO CORN as this might be a real toxic gas attack in the homeland

but ignorance is king

Wasnt burning the corn fields a big contributor during the smokey season? If this new burner becomes popular and lots of people are burning 10-15 kg of corn stalks will it cause a problem or help by spreading the burning throughout the year in smaller amounts?

It's not the same. The stove will burn the corn stalks much more efficiently and thoroughly than how they burn in a field ... thus they produce more heat and a lot less smoke. Also the corn stalks will be burned over a much longer period of time, instead of the more narrow time window of the field-burning season.

Edited by HerbalEd

A small sheet metal burner, for the kitchen, using waste rice hulls as fuel was invented 20 yrs ago by the IRRI, Phil Is. Worked great, according to reports. Had a fan/bellows i think which could be hooked to a solar panel and battery.

In the USA no need to burn the stalks since the corn kernels are so common and cheap, simply burn the corn to heat the house. And the corn kernels are a handy size too for mechanization.

I often have ideas for inventions. I then proceed with a simple Google search and usually discover that it's already been invented.

https://www.google.co.th/search?q=stove+fueled+by+corn+stalks&oq=stove+fueled+by+corn+stalks&aqs=chrome..69i57j69i60l2&sourceid=chrome&es_sm=122&ie=UTF-8#q=corn+stove

How embarrassing that the egg heads at Chiang Mai Uni are incapable of that.

blink.png

Edited by Fullstop

Various designs of corn kernel/ corn cob stoves have been sold in American for many years ... This research was likely a Google search

I have been building TLUD stoves out of recycled metal 20 Liter tins for the past 3 months. I haven't tested them with corn stalks yet because I don't have access to any. My "invention" is based on the estufa finca biochar stove.

The fuel must be dried thoroughly before burning. The dried fuel burns with a very hot flame producing very little smoke. When the burning stops biochar is left. The biochar must be kept in a air tight container while it cools so that the char does not continue to combust.

It is much healthier for the persons doing the cooking and reduces air pollution considerably. The biochar is used as a soil amendment and is believed to remain stable in the soil for more than a thousand years. A highly fertile soil is produced and carbon which would normally end up in the atmosphere as CO2 is sequestered in the soil.

So 1 kg will last 30 min.. And they need 10-15kg per day. Correct me if I'm wrong, they will cook for 5 to 7,5 hours per day? What, they all run restaurants or so?

I think its normal thai journalism where any numbers are involved. They wont stand up to scrutiny. 10-15kg may be a weeks worth?

I built a stove called a MIDGE -- an Inverse Gasifier - recycles smoke to be burned again. This stove would burn many fuel types from pine cones, small pieces of wood or bark, corn cobs or cut up corn stalks. Here are some photos of my 'home brew 'DIY' built from a large copper potpourri pot, cement, piece of metal stove pipe and misc. ...
post-135557-0-57264200-1417843498_thumb.
post-135557-0-79153600-1417843495_thumb.
post-135557-0-87155700-1417843493_thumb.
post-135557-0-98433200-1417843491_thumb.
post-135557-0-10746400-1417843490_thumb.

This fire controlling corn husk burning invention is revolutionary!

Shame it's so heavy. If there was only some kind of round rolling thing we could put under the corn-husk burner-thing to help us move it to new places... technology defeats us again!

Quick - to the crack think-tank at CMU to see if they have any ideas!

Edited by DirtyDan