PM Prayut orders ban on alcohol sales near universities and vocational colleges

webfact

Ban Bananas.

I always ate a lot of bananas before taking a college exam.

Don't know why. Just hear the potassium "rush" would help.

+ Make them go to bed early.

+ Mandatory study hall.

+ No alcohol near campus.

+ No "mingling" with the other sex.

Go For It, Prime Minister.

If you're going to be absurd and ridiculous --- go ahead full steam !

The "average" IQ of a Thai is just above a door knob. Might as well try it !!

Same sex "mingling" OK ?laugh.png

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/studenthealth/Pages/Smoking%2Calcoholanddrugs.aspx

"Peer pressure, cheap student bars and the freedom of living away from home all contribute to the choices students make.

Be aware of the dangers associated with smoking, drinking and taking drugs so you can make an informed decision about the way you live your life and care for your health."

Let's get real here. Alcohol does actually cause huge problems everywhere. Correct, most people who drink don't have a problem, but lots of those who do are having their lives destroyed by alcohol. We really do need to face this issue and not bury our heads in the sand.

Does this mean if I "threaten" to open up a technical college somewhere I can shake down the local alcohol retailers and get them to contribute to a "relocation fund?"

Great idea. If I were to open an English language school in my house, nearly half the bars in Lamai would have close, and I would have a much shorter life expectancy.

Yes, education and alcohol simply don't go together. I'd make it 500 metres myself. And how about a ban on cigarettes as well ?

Why stop there. How about banning salty snacks, sugary drinks, calorie loaded candy, deep fried foods and on and on? Who decides what is not good and what is?

One ban doesn't affect the advocate, until the advocates favorite "sin" is also up for banishment.

Because, because alcohol is FAR MORE DEADLY than those other products that you've mentioned, that's why we need to try and stop young people from doing it. Also, alcohol doesn't just slowly kill those who are drinking it, it also damages the lives of those who must interact with alcohol consumers. Yes, alcohol does actually harm society in a massive way.

As many other posters have said, area-based prohibition of sales is a clunky model for regulating under-age drinking. Far better is to have ID-checks of young people trying to buy alcohol, and street-patrols arresting drunk youngsters. They have to go and drink it somewhere, and usually not at home, so strict policing of public areas should be priority in stopping underage drinking.

Fear of being suspended or expelled from education is a powerful motivating force, and this force already exists in the minds of young people. So this should be utilised by the authorities, arrest all young people who try to buy alcohol or drink in public, and inform the schools. Suspension or expulsion of pupils who are caught buying or drinking alcohol, should be strictly enforced. This is a problem that occurs naturally around the world, kids will always try drinks to varying degrees. But it is fortunately a problem that can be regulated by the kids themselves, if they are made to fear the negative consequences to their education.

Even Singapore isn't this bad and I thought I would never say that..

IF Thailand was to actually take a few steps to become more like Singapore, well surely, that is a good thing ?

Thailand will never become like Singapore, but aimimng to become more like Singapore can be done.

More evidence that the current "govt." should be a care taker govt. and wait for an elected body to make changes and decisions affecting the country, they are so in over their heads.

Funny, because about 20 states in the US have similar laws. When I was a student at UC Berkeley, no takeaway alcohol sales were allowed within 1 mile of campus. But, you're probably from the UK or EU where free flow is the rule. I wouldn't expect you to be worldly enough to understand that the government is following a model which has been used elsewhere in the world.

The key word in your post is "takeaway".

The US law prevents TAKEAWAY sales within a mile of the campus. That doesn't mean the restaurants can't serve wine with dinner or a bar can't serve a beer while I'm watching the game.

A restriction on takeaway sales might be a more effective approach, but in the end, there will be no enforcement and varying degrees of police tea money collections and that will be that.

Does this mean if I "threaten" to open up a technical college somewhere I can shake down the local alcohol retailers and get them to contribute to a "relocation fund?"

That's an interesting aspect.

http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/studenthealth/Pages/Smoking%2Calcoholanddrugs.aspx

"Peer pressure, cheap student bars and the freedom of living away from home all contribute to the choices students make.

Be aware of the dangers associated with smoking, drinking and taking drugs so you can make an informed decision about the way you live your life and care for your health."

Let's get real here. Alcohol does actually cause huge problems everywhere. Correct, most people who drink don't have a problem, but lots of those who do are having their lives destroyed by alcohol. We really do need to face this issue and not bury our heads in the sand.

Alcoholics are a minority of the society. You cannot punish all the responsible and adult buyers of alcoholic beverages by making shopping inconvenient. And that is all this law does.

But this law is not about preventing alcoholics from buying booze, it aims at tackling under age drinking... and will fail for the various reasons already pointed out here.

In all european countries (except Scandinavia) one can buy a bottle of wine or beer 24/7, but adults only.

AUSTRALIANS are now the world's undisputed beer-swilling kings - with even the Irish failing to keep the pace of our outback booze hounds.

A report has shown Northern Territorians drink 15 litres of pure alcohol each year - three times the global average.

And Alice Springs residents drank an average 20 litres of booze new figures released for 2005-06 published in the Menzies School of Health Research report show.

The only nations that come close to matching Territorians at the bar are the Irish and Czechs, who drink 13 litres of alcohol (World Health Organisation figures).

ONCE AGAIN.. WHERE"S the problem in Thailand???

More evidence that the current "govt." should be a care taker govt. and wait for an elected body to make changes and decisions affecting the country, they are so in over their heads.

Funny, because about 20 states in the US have similar laws. When I was a student at UC Berkeley, no takeaway alcohol sales were allowed within 1 mile of campus. But, you're probably from the UK or EU where free flow is the rule. I wouldn't expect you to be worldly enough to understand that the government is following a model which has been used elsewhere in the world.

The key word in your post is "takeaway".

The US law prevents TAKEAWAY sales within a mile of the campus. That doesn't mean the restaurants can't serve wine with dinner or a bar can't serve a beer while I'm watching the game.

A restriction on takeaway sales might be a more effective approach, but in the end, there will be no enforcement and varying degrees of police tea money collections and that will be that.

"The US law prevents TAKEAWAY sales within a mile of the campus."

Alcohol sales in the US are determined by state, county and city laws, not federal laws. I assume the above rule applies in some place(s), but it certainly doesn't apply to the entire country.

Your point about take-ways laws, combined with properly enforced ID checks, is a good one. It is certainly a much better approach than incentivizing students to drive to and from the bars.

Edited by heybruce

AUSTRALIANS are now the world's undisputed beer-swilling kings - with even the Irish failing to keep the pace of our outback booze hounds.

A report has shown Northern Territorians drink 15 litres of pure alcohol each year - three times the global average.

And Alice Springs residents drank an average 20 litres of booze new figures released for 2005-06 published in the Menzies School of Health Research report show.

The only nations that come close to matching Territorians at the bar are the Irish and Czechs, who drink 13 litres of alcohol (World Health Organisation figures).

ONCE AGAIN.. WHERE"S the problem in Thailand???

You are opening up a can of worms with the large number of Aboriginal residents in the Alice and NT, and the huge social problems there.

Wouldn't it be better to compare the results achieved by Oz unis with Thai? I don't know of any Oz uni without at least one bar, usually managed by the Student's Union, and the profits going to benefit students.

11717487_10154080781248012_4141223283343

1 beer can is 375ml in Australia. 1 beer a day means 136.875 Litres of beer a year...

The obvious problem with the whole country is LACK of alcohol!!!!

And most of the Consumption is probably done by tourism anyway. I don't think a study like this check if it is a Thai or Tourist that drinks.

Well I would suggest to ban MONEY !!!

1. Most crimes are directly connected to MONEY !

2. Being in big death causes all sorts of illnesses like: Depression, suicide, heart attacks...

3. MONEY is the sole reason for coruption !

4. MONEY destroys families and as such is a serious risk to society

Ban MONEY and solve most problems ... and it would make more sense than banning alcohol sales

to people who are by law not allowed to buy alcohol anyway !

A newspaper report states Thailand leading the way in banning alcohol sales.

piffle! The bars and clubs will simply relocate ! (if their businesses suffer!)

Been around any provincial campus sites where there are hundreds of small apartment blocks designed for students ? These are well "off-campus" and the nightlife is vibrant !

Students will just find the nearest legal (or illegal) place to drink ................. get real people!

The students, as well as most others in Thailand, get their alcohol from 7-Eleven and other convenience stores. I doubt that there are many countries in the world where access to alcohol is as easy as here.

Quite true but don't say that as you will upset the thai bashers.

Here in NZ alcohol sales within close proximity to a learning institute are open to public consultation by way of submissions on their potential liquor licence. The distance is a lot further than the distances being suggested here.

Well done again Prayuth. The gradual and pain staking gains are more improvement than the rest of the so called democratic governments before you.

Edited by Roadman

Nice idiotic, offensive, bordering on racist post there.

Well done.

Pulls racism card. Dies from paper cut.

Try comprehending the meaning of the word before using it..

Pulled what?? A silver hair from your head maybe.

Trying comprehending the post before commenting ol' boy.

It doesn't matter how you try to control it, underage drinking will still happen with the exact same frequency it does now. Students will always have older friends to buy for them or fake identification to get it themselves. Banning alcohol within a certain distance of a school will do absolutely nothing. Banning sales during certain hours will do absolutely nothing. Even banning it throughout the entire country will do absolutely nothing. Alcohol has been banned completely in Kuwait since 1964, but it's there if you want it and are willing to pay for it and everyone that wants it knows where to get it.

This is all for show. It won't do thing one to stop or even slow down underage drinking. And if alcohol gets banned on Walking Street, the locals will come wholly unglued. Not the farang, mind you... the locals. They stand to lose a lot more than we will if this happens. I still think it will be updated, amended, quashed, what have you when the uproar starts, but I'm just a silly expat living in Pattaya, what do I know? biggrin.png

In Chiangmai you cant go further than 300 meters without touching a school and or Temple.The law should include all sellers including Hotel owners and others allowed to sell. Why cant there be fairness across the board. I myself rarely like a Hotel bar. I see a power grab here. I thnk all people legally selling before should be grandfathered in. These Bar and Restaurant owners have licenses and pay taxes. Now some not selling food are being kicked out of business. The goverment should give these people some form of restitution for damages.

Why use false statements, your ad was saying Soi Cowboy etc may close down , when in reality they are talking about selling booze near schools, the issue of tourist attractions has been addressed . Shame on you the same as all your attention grabbing ads that have nothing to do with the product they are pushing.

Nice idiotic, offensive, bordering on racist post there.

Well done.

Pulls racism card. Dies from paper cut.

Try comprehending the meaning of the word before using it..

Pulled what?? A silver hair from your head maybe.

Trying comprehending the post before commenting ol' boy.

Good answer bunch of idiots.