Thailand to launch crackdown on alcohol consumption

webfact

Beer Sales Outpace Economic Growth in Asia
by Jason GaleSuttinee Yuvejwattana

BANGKOK: -- Thailand will ban alcohol sales near universities and technical colleges, putting the nation at the forefront of efforts in Asia to curb consumption.

Under amendments to the Alcohol Control Act endorsed by the government yesterday and to be implemented nationwide late next month, bars, clubs and retailers will be prohibited from selling alcoholic beverages within a 300-meter (328 yards) radius of colleges. The measures are aimed at promoting a healthy lifestyle and tackling alcohol-related problems, including underage sex, the Ministry of Public Health said.

Thailand is moving further than other governments in countering growing demand for alcohol in Asia and the Pacific, the fastest-growing beer market for brewer Heineken NV. The World Health Organization has called for a 10 percent reduction in the harmful use of alcohol by 2025 from 2010 levels, implicating it in more than 200 diseases and injury conditions that the UN agency says kill about 3.3 million people a year.

“Thailand has the strongest tradition of trying to curb alcohol consumption and reduce alcohol-related harms,” said Juergen Rehm, professor and chair of addiction policy at the University of Toronto’s Dalla Lana School of Public Health.

Full story: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-07-23/beer-sales-outpace-gdp-as-asia-cracks-down-on-excess

-- BloombergBusiness 2015-07-23

RELATED TOPIC:

PM orders ban on alcohol sales near universities

PNSOC580722001007602.jpg

BANGKOK, 23 July 2015 (NNT) - Prime Minister General Prayut Chan-o-cha has signed an official announcement from the Prime Minister’s Office banning alcohol sales within 300 meters of universities and vocational colleges.

Full story: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/842654-pm-prayut-orders-ban-on-alcohol-sales-near-universities-and-vocational-colleges/

Prohibition in any form does not work. Lived in Arkansas USA a while back, in a dry County. No bars, no alcohol sales whatsoever! Had to drive 10 miles to next County to buy alcohol. The traffic was immense Friday evenings to from that neighboring County. Dozen liquor stores and bars did brisk business from our County citizens. Prohibition simply does not work.

Edited by jerojero

There's nothing more encouraging than a crackdown, and I am convinced that this will put a permanent end to problem drinking in Thailand.

The usual strict and scrupulous enforcement of these rules will produce a measurable change within weeks. I know when I was young the idea that I would have to travel more than 300m to buy beer would have put me off beer for good, and I'm sure it's the same here.

Kudos to the PM for another of his wise decisions: he must be one of the wisest men in Thailand, and that is a high hurdle.

Yeah, baby! Who doesn't like a good "crackdown"?

How many "crackdowns" is this now in the last year? 13, 14, .... ?

Maybe the government could have a crackdown on crackdowns! That would count as two crackdowns, don't you think?

This will be highly effective, no doubt. The people who buy their alcohol at major department stores and grocery chains will all become non drinkers. I on the other hand always buy my booze at mom and pop corner shops at all hours and holidays, so I'm doomed to remain a drinker.

Thailand already has rules in place to deal with this but they just can not seem to stop treating people like children. They have legal alcohol purchasing hours 11am-2pm, 5pm - 12pm. (only enforced at places that have electronic cashier machines - 7/11, Tesco, Big-C, etc ) Every Thai person carries their ID card, why do they not just check it when they are uncertain of the age of the person?? Anyone one wearing a school uniform is supposed to not be able to buy alcohol at a bar or restaurant, by Thai law. They already have fines set in place for any breakage of the law but most restaurants / bars and Ma & Pa shops laugh at it, as it is very rare you will ever see police enforce it. The only times I have struggled to buy buy is on the Buddist holidays...........even my local ma & pa shop do not like to sell me alcohol then but there is always somewhere that will, usually down a quiet little soi that nobody notices.

"prohibited from selling alcoholic beverages within a 300-meter"

I have not come across a Thai yet that accurately guess distance. A turn off up the road may be 10 km away yet they will say it is 600 metres. The bank just up the road is 25 km away. The road trip to Khon Kaen from Bangkok is 2 hours according to the cab driver yet it takes over 6 hours.

When using distance to enforce a law in Thailand there is bound to be confusion and it is open to abuse.

Don't close down or ban alcohol venues. The only real way to stop someone drinking is to change their mindset and attitude.

"Dry January" in the UK, the blog "Good Morning Sunday" in Australia and the Ocsober, again in Australia was initiated to create awareness to the issues of drinking and to change the attitude one has towards it.

If someone wants a drink then they will find on. If someone doesn't want a drink they can walk past 50 bars and not buy one.

Prohibition in any form does not work. Lived in Arkansas USA a while back, in a dry County. No bars, no alcohol sales whatsoever! Had to drive 10 miles to next County to buy alcohol. The traffic was immense Friday evenings to from that neighboring County. Dozen liquor stores and bars did brisk business from our County citizens. Prohibition simply does not work.

Fair point. Every time they try to curb alcohol by prohibition or restricted hours it seems to have the opposite effect.

The UK had very restricted hours when I was a young whereas continental Europe didn't. And the UK had far worse problems.

True story, I live in a small Thai village, about 20 metres from a corner store/bar. Drunk people staggering out of the place at all hours, sleeping on the road, and making repeat visits all through the day. One guy used to trade fruit for alcohol, he died. Which does more harm, a place like this or Tesco, where you can't buy alcohol between 14:00 and 17:00 while you're doing your weekly shopping?

Tax the hell out of every drop of alcohol. That will decrease consumption. Now 50 baht per can, up the tax so that those 500ml now100 baht and find out who really needs a beer. Then use the revenue for education.

And those alco=pops likewise: double/triple the tax and they won't be so tasty.

Agree, prohibition won't work but with the high tax it all remains legal, just very expensive. Who needs alcohol? No one.

If I was the owner of a bar within 300 metres of a university or college, I'd be pretty annoyed right now!!

But seriously, I was a student in the UK for 3 years (a long time ago) and to a person, I know not a single fellow student who would not willingly walk 300 metres to get a drink if they had to, any night of the week.These are (mostly) highly intelligent people, already knowing that alcohol is not the most healthy body supplement one could consume - but what the hey....? .... we all do it anyway and have a damn good time in the process. It's part of the rights of passage in most universities or colleges - and that will not change any time soon.

I'm sure this new rule will have zero effect on reducing consumption - so really: what's the point....? It just shows how far out of touch with reality those people are, who introduce these hair-brain schemes.

People will make their own decisions. If they want to drink, they will find a way - and really: having to walk 300 metres... ain't no decision at all...

Edited by PJ33

I still maintain that if the seller is in doubt, ask for the buyer's identification card.

This is for retail outlets, if the staff in the bars or clubs are in doubt, ask for ID and if they don't provide it, or prove to be underage, don't let them in.

Hardly rocket science is it? The laws are there, use them instead of inventing new rules.

As has been stated, depriving people through legislation doesn't work.

Past, present or future...............................wink.png

I have no doubt that Thais will not walk 300 meters to buy beer or any other form of alcohol... Now, if there only was a machine with a seat and two wheels, runs on petrol that they could ride to a shop that sells.... More drink riding will happen...

As a former teacher I would also suggest that the beer they serve at school teachers parties will also be banned... Or does that not count???

“Thailand has the strongest tradition of trying to curb alcohol consumption and reduce alcohol-related harms,” said Juergen Rehm, professor and chair of addiction policy at the University of Toronto’s Dalla Lana School of Public Health.

SERIOUSLY?????? SERIOUSLY????

Let's see the stats re: drunk driving arrests/fines/loss of license/ vehicle impoundments/jail time.

GET real Thailand EVERYTHING IS A PIPE DREAM RE: what is gonna be done..... lol lol WHEN?????? Do you really believe your own bs?