One Phuket landscaper dead, another in hospital after being electrocuted

webfact

not a lot of cop us bleating on about health and safety, this is LOS,i was a health and safety officer for a large factory, the first job is the evaluate the task, ie. power cables, can the job be done elsewhere away from the hazard, Nah !! just get on with it, ok i know, i am peeing in the wind here, just my thoughts, sorry it is a bit to late for one poor guy.only takes a couple of minutes thought,but no, now we have the tragic consequences

Granted but you don't have to be NEBOSH qualified or any other relevant safety accreditation to use common sense and the most basic of safety training, but alas life is really cheap here wheather we like it or not but in this day and age the authorities should protect their people - disgraceful to all educated people who have responsibility and know better

You guys have all missed the sadest point of this story.

The guy who attempted to rescue his mate was the one who died.

He's a hero. In spite of his having no knowledge of or training in the danger he faced.

It doesn't even need much training. While doing electrical work one should always have an accompanying safety person. That person should carry a big wooden stick. If you get a shock and can't let go the safety person hits you with the non conducting wooden stick. He's still a hero and survives.

Edited by MW72

This story reminded me of one of the first stories I remember reading on TVF. It was a story about a couple of sewer workers who were asphyxiated in the sewer they were working in. To test the atmosphere before they started work they held a candle to the open manhole. The candle didn't go out so the assumption was made that everything was safe. One guy went down the ladder and immediately collapsed. His mate trying to be a hero went down to rescue him and died as well. A third guy started to go down the ladder when the fourth and only guy with any sense suggested to the third guy that that might not be such a good idea and heroically saved his life. 2 guys dead for the sake of the cost of a gas monitor.

The position and height of the lifting boom for that load and location of it all near cables, indicates no experience in what he was doing. He possibly thought that the lines WERE insulated and he would be OK. I guess the VHV line at the top shorted over. Very sad for all concerned.

You guys have all missed the sadest point of this story.

The guy who attempted to rescue his mate was the one who died.

Oh Dear. Without checking the names of dead v/s injured, i assumed the opposite, as presumably, did everyone else. All else remains the same.

It's a damn good thing they dont have buried. gas mains in this country or more than half of it would look like the moon.

Time you took a drive up from Rayong to 331 and then, on to the north. That 1 meter gas line (with all the international standard yellow & black signs, every 50 or 100 mters) is heading for Korat for now, then north again i believe. It is not operational yet so moonscape potential is temporarily delayed. It is 1m, nearly 2 meters deep in most places except of course where it bridges streams etc. Oh look Goodee. free gas.