Surprise! New Thailand booze ban now in effect

Jonathan Fairfield

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No more beers in the mall? Seriously?

All those pubs/bars along Sukhumvit shall start to sell booze in coconut shells.

Thought they said it didn't effect licenced business premises such as bars and clubs?

I would bet that if it is to be enforced at all it will be done by using a system of" regular informal contributions".

Whether the chap collecting wears a green shirt or a brown shirt, well that is another matter. Up here in the north I've heard it said that when it comes to controlling bars and collecting their informal taxes, green is the new brown.

A whole new income stream could be opening up.

Edited by JAG

Exaggerated...knee jerk reaction by all.

Go back and read the original story...it excludes hotels/restaurants/venues...that have the appropriate government blessing. I bet it has more to do with preventing more alcohol sales in those areas..and possibly might be used as leverage for "fill in the blank" for establishments that have the official government papers/permits to operate.

Your alcohol and ladies who serve such...will simply not be going away. It just may be a bit more expensive (taxable/tea money) to keep open.

Expect prices to go up...as the baht devalues. There is alot of cash being thrown around in these places.

You go back and read it! The law is NOT clear and if you think you understand what it says you are probably in a minority of one.

I am afraid not my friend!! Just came to my restaurant on Loi Kroh Rd Chiang Mai! I am 250 metres from High School. Gave me 30 days notice!! Effective Aug. 19th, no more aicohol sales!! They are going about this the wrong way! Instead of shutting you down for serving alcohol, why not shutting you down for not carding and serving these people!! Just takes a little enforcement from the BIB!! You can't make this shit up!! Vietnam is looking pretty good right now!!!

Go back and read the original story...it excludes hotels/restaurants/venues...that have the appropriate government blessing. I bet it has more to do with preventing more alcohol sales in those areas..and possibly might be used as leverage for "fill in the blank" for establishments that have the official government papers/permits to operate.

Your alcohol and ladies who serve such...will simply not be going away. It just may be a bit more expensive (taxable/tea money) to keep open.

Expect prices to go up...as the baht devalues. There is alot of cash being thrown around in these places.

You go back and read it! The law is NOT clear and if you think you understand what it says you are probably in a minority of one.

I am afraid not my friend!! Just came to my restaurant on Loi Kroh Rd Chiang Mai! I am 250 metres from High School. Gave me 30 days notice!! Effective Aug. 19th, no more aicohol sales!! They are going about this the wrong way! Instead of shutting you down for serving alcohol, why not shutting you down for not carding and serving these people!! Just takes a little enforcement from the BIB!! You can't make this shit up!! Vietnam is looking pretty good right now!!!

Do you have currently hold a license to sell alcohol ?

You have to wonder how accurate the Coconuts report is, if as per the report it will affect every outlet that sells alcohol. As previously stated, not simply bars, BUT, all sales outlets (supermarkets,convenience stores, corner stores, etc). What the articles doesn't clarify if it's a 24/07 ban or specific times?

This was all reported on front page of Bangkok Post today. Yes according to the new law all of Walking st, apart from clubs up near Bali Hai, Soi 13/3, 13/4 and bars along Pattaya Tai, Soi 15 and Soi 14 will have to close in Pattaya. Either someone is going to lose Face in a huge way or this is the start of a long term plan to totally take over and remove any interference from the rest of the World. Thailand "a closed shop"

Rule #1 - don't get between a Thai and his/her income. The result will be ugly.

Possible rash of school fires in the near future?

BTW why would this law apply to schools where the students are below legal drinking age?

And why would it apply to schools where the students were above the legal drinking age?

Why should it be ok for a 20 yr old factory worker to drink and not a 20 yr old university student?

No more booze, no more bars, no more income for a lot of Isaarn....... Does this guy realise what he's about to instigate ? Namely his downfall.......... Much needed....... When are these people going realise ? the Army's for protection, not to govern..........This has got to be the daftest thing i've heard in Thailand, right behind the Mayor of Pattaya claiming that there's no "Brothels" in Pattaya......... Well at least none selling broth ! Jesus, i thought i'd seen it all..........

Do you have currently hold a license to sell alcohol ?

Yes I do!! For 5 years now!!!!!!!!

And they actually think this will have an effect on booze related traffic deaths or stop uni students from drinking?

The naivety is staggering and the disruption/damage to long established businesses and local tourism is just irresponsible idiocy.

FAIL!

blink.png

Naive indeed! This is about as stupid as when Thaksin banned gasoline sales after 9 pm or with David Cameron wanting to ban encryption.

A big victory for the Islamic communities.