Building A House (Isaan)

• 2 weeks later...

Well, i bought the land, 82,000 Baht for 103 Talang Wa, just over a quarter Rai or Just over 400 Sq Metres, it has road access and electric as it already had a house on it up until the day before i bought the land, the house was sold and taken away on a lorry ( Wooden House). The missus has the chanot in her name now. So Step one complete.

When the rain stops she will get the ground level raised ( DIN) and maybe get a wall up. Din will be 200 baht a lorry load, 10 - 12,000 baht should do it.

• 7 months later...
Well, i bought the land,  82,000 Baht for 103 Talang Wa, just over a quarter Rai or Just over 400 Sq Metres, it has road access and electric as it  already had a house on it up until the day before i bought the land, the house was  sold and taken away on a lorry ( Wooden House). The missus has the chanot in her name now. So Step one complete.

When the rain stops she will get the ground level raised ( DIN) and maybe get a wall up. Din will be 200 baht a lorry load, 10 - 12,000 baht should do it.

Is the house finished yet Begs?

If i  was going to have a house Built in loei, would i be able to get a decent palce for 400-500,000 Baht, Thats for the house , not the land.

I dont want anything Flashy, just a normal house. I know my ex missus and her hubby built a real nice place in Mukdahan for 350,000, bungalow style, 2 bedroom. That was about 2 years ago

What you reckon?    :o

its posible to get the price really low if you manage the project yourself and keep control of costs , sub out various bits of work to local tradesmen ,like window frames , buy sand and ballast when you need it . bricks and roofing materials, tiles etc.

and get shoveling the cement yourself if you are up to it. just price each piece of work as you come to it . rendering ,painting ,tiling etc.

but thais appear to be crap when it comes to wiring and plumbing so its best to do that stuff yourself .

no concept of western style plumbing ,as in hot and cold running water .

especially out where you are building .

Having done two major house remodels the first whilst working away and allowing the wife to be the clerk of works she was ripped off , she screwed up and we still argue about the issues of building standards and her not following plans ,instructions etc . The result just bugged me and still does .

We have lived abroad so my Thai wife has a broader perspective but knowing standards and how to achieve them is not the same thing .

The second building project is now underway and my wife is now the true expert on materials , methods and design and is making the builder take notice . he is actually quite good and I will use him again . but the wife controls it ,but I inspect every evening and this gives her confidence and time to reflect .

We are now a good team with no near divorce senarios infact the reverse a strengthening of a shared interest .

Materials vary from rip off local crap to even worse rip off imported Western goods that can be ruined by poor installation or lack of knowledge or conseptual understanding ... example a great builder we have ,but when my wife asked for 10 sockets in the dining and kitchen area for micro waves , fridges mixers , lights TV etc the builder replied he had never fitted as many that is more than a whole Thai house. My wife stuck to her guns correctly and won the discussion.

This is not so strange a Yank would not think twice about a Dish washer and waste disposal unit ,plus trash compacter and a toploader washing machine for a 15 kilo load ..a brit will look for a place for the front loader washing machine ..A Thai would rather wash by hand .

Prices for cement for example can vary from `` this looks cheap but will break down and crack in two years or pay 15 baht more and get a good one or 30 baht more and get the best ...( which may not be nessesary )

To cut a long story short find a builder who has worked for a farang before ...do not use your father in law .( it is not fair on him )..Try with the wife giving her clear detailled details and show her examples but be prepared to accept the results when you get back.

P.s Labour can usually be calculated as about 30% to 40% of material costs.stage payments are normal ...we select the materials and the shop in conjunction with our builder ...he is an experienced hands on builder no flashy pick up paid for by the customers he has ripped off .

Good luck ..Oh what ever your budget is double it to finish the house to your standards with A/C curtains etc

I have been lucky, I have built two houses in Buriram one like a palace for 2 million Baht, and the other a bungalow with 5 Rai of land, my wifes family built them, now my brother in law is in great demmand by other ferrangs in Buriram.

It was built 4 years ago, so no idea what it would cost today, check it out on my site.

www.gandajones.co.uk

So you are one of the lucky ones in Isaan. I built my nice 300 m2 house last year near Roiet/Yasothon for 2.5 mill bt. The swimming pool was built by a Pattaya runaway builder. The bungalows by a local stay here builder. The big house was designed by a government building designer from Sarakam. Beautiful design, but the builder(also a government) builder did a lot wrong. Usually 20-30 smaller which seems to be the standard in Isaan. Luckily we just stayed across the road in the parents house. We made him brake the construction :o every 10-15 days and build it as designed. Slowly words spread around about him, he felt very shy and got help from others and finished everything in a good style. :D

I am happy my wife did not give up and kept insisting :D to correct everything.

Well, i bought the land,   82,000 Baht for 103 Talang Wa, just over a quarter Rai or Just over 400 Sq Metres, it has road access and electric as it  already had a house on it up until the day before i bought the land, the house was  sold and taken away on a lorry ( Wooden House). The missus has the chanot in her name now. So Step one complete.

You might have to wait a long time for an answer............although i believe another member may be able to answer on his behalf. :o

Well, i bought the land,   82,000 Baht for 103 Talang Wa, just over a quarter Rai or Just over 400 Sq Metres, it has road access and electric as it  already had a house on it up until the day before i bought the land, the house was  sold and taken away on a lorry ( Wooden House). The missus has the chanot in her name now. So Step one complete.

You might have to wait a long time for an answer............although i believe another member may be able to answer on his behalf. :o

Both Polo and Doctor John are good friends with Begs. They could tell you how he's coming along with the house. Who knows, maybe his missus has run him off the property already, just like he had always hoped would happen to other Farangs who built houses for their teelaks. :D

Good comments. I guess i put my comments in the wrong place but see the end of page 2 under the Construction photos topic from Bicko. This may be of help to someone.

My wife owns quite a lot of land left by her Father in our village so had no land costs.

I agree with the comment-where else in the world could you build a decent house for a month or two salary. We don't have any family hassles-Mama and Papa both dead and family know that they are welcome to visit but apart from the living room the house is out of bounds.

I am quite happy for my wife to have our house and all that's in it when I go so not at all worried about ownership.

I have only recently had the time to join forum, although i have been living in Thailand, between work overseas, for many years but think it's a great opportunity to share with others.

Get a bit p***** off with some of the negative types and their cynical comments about life and living in Thailand but guess that's their choice. Life is what you make of it.

I am a very experienced humanitarian aid engineer and have been posted to Meulaboh in Aceh. Leaving to morrow but hope I can pick up this website there.

I have my own satellite internet here and it works well. Fast, reliable and not too expensive .

Cheers,

Bicko :o

I have been lucky, I have built two houses in Buriram one like a palace for 2 million Baht, and the other a bungalow with 5 Rai of land, my wifes family built them, now my brother in law is in great demmand by other ferrangs in Buriram.

It was built 4 years ago, so no idea what it would cost today, check it out on my site.

www.gandajones.co.uk

Great pics, thanks.

I recently had some town houses built. That is the "Thai" version of a town house. To an American, they are bassic 2 bdr apartments. They have 1 living room, 1 bath, 2 bdr, car port, and wash area out back of the apt. No hot water, and no AC.

In total, the building contains about 5000 sq ft of living space and including land/taxs etc.... the build cost was around 16 US Dollars a sq ft. A total of around 80K USD

The hope is we rent out each one of the apts. (7) at 3,500 a month. We had the complex finished about 4 weeks ago, and so far only one apt has been rented. Luckily, I am here in the US still, so the money earned off of the venture is not that critical.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 years later...
  • 1 year later...