Bangla thugs threaten expat police volunteers, expose lack of police presence

Lite Beer

It also confirm that this very word "Police" for those volunteers is probably inappropriate. coffee1.gif

Agree. They should take out the word "police" and replace it with the word "translator". The new name would be the expat translator volunteers. This way there would be no confusion in what the "volunteers" should be doing and, hopefully, this would weed out the rambo expat types. The uneducated and delusional expats that fall in love with their uniform and actually believe they are police with powers. Let the Thais do their own dirty work of handling drunken thugs. My gut feel is that the real reason they are taking action on this matter is image and not the safety of the volunteers. Not a good image having drunken thugs breaking the law in front of the police station. Just my humble opinion.

Translator volunteer why not, but many if not most of them do not speak Thaitongue.png

They Speak English Russian Deutsch Italian French yes, but Thai?

Personally I would advice for Auxiliary Volunteer, not police auxiliary volunteer, just auxiliary volunteer, like that it means nothing LOL

and they could always say it means we are auxiliary policemen, why not, but the word police would not be seen any more.

You got a point there. Many if not most volunteers cannot speak Thai which is a problem in itself, especially in a situation like this. Wouldn't surprise me that the volunteers made inappropriate hand gestures to the Thais to move on because they couldn't phone in the problem in Thai.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I presume that the officer was not at the police box at the time of the incident because he was performing these duties. We dont presume in police work, he was either doing his duties or not and if not why not, and if no good reason given for desertion of duty its moved to an inactive post for him or to the Bangla station for at least a week as punishment

...always ready to engage ...............if they have a clear advantage.......

...but really.....can hatred or hostility against foreigners be more clearly indicated....

...thankfully it is only a minority....but still disconcerting nonetheless.....

You've got to love this word........."engage".

Smacks of the effect that hollywood can have on the small minded.

These volunteers are really there to provide language assistance. That's it. Saves the BIB from having to take English classes, and helps the drunk farangs understand why they are getting shaken down.

Should really call them "translators" and give them wizard robes instead of police garb. Just because I think wizard robes would be awesome.

"Col Pongphichan noted that expat police volunteers have no law-enforcement rights whatsoever unless a regular officer on duty is with them, which is often the case."

So why are they demanding that people move on? Som nam na.

Firstly, volunteers should be allowed rights of law enforcement. It's bad enough that they have to do this job for free. I still don't understand why they do it.

Secondly, they did the right thing. These areseholes need to learn that they can't go around doing whatever they want.

Thirdly, if they had beaten up the volunteers, they would be guilty of assulting a police officer and therefore be in trouble.

There is no "som num naa" about it.

Another sad chapter of Thainess... Feel for the volunteers. Go volunteers, go! have your saying and get rid of those thugs. If there's no support, then <deleted> it and let the police to the cleanup work and enjoy your extra free time. I gave 'em a rain check whan they asked me to volunteer. Have better things to do but to be the virtual toilet paper of the RTP.

Yeah, it sucks when Thais have the audacity to act like it their country.

Is that "Thainess" ?

Really? You actually sound like a Plantation owner sitting on the porch drinking a Mint Julep.

"Col Pongphichan noted that expat police volunteers have no law-enforcement rights whatsoever unless a regular officer on duty is with them, which is often the case."

With all due respect, Sir.....Do you deliberately mis-state what an author has written, have difficulty in reading accurately, or are you reacting with some undisclosed personal bias towards the "ex-pat police volunteers? It was clearly stated that "The people were asked to leave, as parking the car [and] drinking alcohol [there] is not allowed and playing loud music was not appropriate at the police box..." The expat police volunteers, who are in a formal relationship with the Royal Thai Police as R.T.P. Liaison Officers, in addition to being readily available to answer the many questions which the foreign visitor may have, fulfill a very important function in that they act as a liaison between non-Thai speaking "foreigners" and the Thai RTP officers, usually as a result of the said "foreigner" more often than not being in an inebriated state and having done something that, without the aid of the Volunteer, could easily result in the "offender" spending the night in a Thai jail, not a pleasant place at all!! They are not "cowboys" or "wannabees" and have been carefully screened before being accepted as a Liaison Officer. In this case, from the reports provided, the volunteer was doing precisely what he or she is expected to do, no more and no less. Drunks are one thing...a common item to be found on Bangla Road and treated with respect by the volunteers. There is absolutely no indication or suggestion that this officer was acting in any way inappropriately, (S)he witnessed the infractions and, informing them as to the nature of their transgression, ASKED them to move on, as is the volunteer's job to do. Drunken thugs out to pick a fight are fortunately a rarity...most people, drunk or sober are out for a good time..good meaning happy! Not, as was the case with these thugs, a group of drunken low-lifes who are a disgrace to themselves and their country of origin. They constitute a disruptive and hazardous presence, a presence which runs counter to the safety and well-being of those decent folks who deserve the protection of both the Thai RTP officers and the Volunteers who donate their time and efforts to make it a safer place.....even for people such as yourself who react with a "Som nam na" remark. Sometime, Mr. rwdrwdrwd, if you do visit Bangla Road, you may find yourself in need of the services of one of those dedicated volunteers! One thing of which I am certain is that should you require the services of one or more of these officers, "Som nam na" will not be a comment voiced by them!!

http://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english-thesaurus/ask

ask (verb)
- inquire, question, quiz, query, interrogate • 'How is Frank?' he asked.
opposites: answer, reply, respond
- put, propose, pose • I wasn't the only one asking questions.
- request, apply to, appeal to, plead with, demand, urge, sue, pray, beg, petition, crave, solicit, implore, enjoin, beseech, entreat, supplicate • We had to ask him to leave.
- invite, bid, summon • She asked me back to her house.
Act like you are in a position to behave in an authoritarian manner toward people when you have no remit to do so - expect kickback. Som nam na.
If, as you state "they act as a liaison between non-Thai speaking "foreigners" and the Thai RTP officers", then what on earth are they doing challenging Thai nationals without any authority to do so and without a real police officer present?
And no, as it happens, I don't respect them whatsoever and they certainly would not be a port of call in need. In my experience a bunch of jumped up ex traffic wardens playing Rambo - indeed "cowboys" and "wannabees", worse still there have been a number of occasions where they have been involved in very unsavoury activities - most recently http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-tourist-police-expat-volunteer-arrested-on-crystal-meth-charges-43445.php
The RTP should scrap the whole program and hire professional, qualified translators.
Edited by rwdrwdrwd

Give people a uniform and send them out into the public and they think they have "power". IMO wannabe cops that have an "I'm important" complex.

I don't know the Phuket volunteers but if they are like the Pattaya ones that only hang about on Walking Street ( never seen anywhere else ) they are a waste of space. For years I've seen them ignore child abuse happening openly on Walking Street. If they are so valuable, why are they not on any other tourist night venue like Soi 8 etc?

You might get the impression I'm not a fan of the TPV biggrin.png .

Firstly, volunteers should be allowed rights of law enforcement. It's bad enough that they have to do this job for free. I still don't understand why they do it.

Secondly, they did the right thing. These areseholes need to learn that they can't go around doing whatever they want.

Thirdly, if they had beaten up the volunteers, they would be guilty of assulting a police officer and therefore be in trouble.

There is no "som num naa" about it.

Seriously!!!!!!!!

Thery have no Thai ( any? )law enforcement training and they have no means of protection, or are you saying that non Thai citizens should have the right to enforce law on Thai citizens and shoot people?

My favourite part of that post is

Which mirrors my initial thoughts, though perhaps from another perspective.

Edited by rwdrwdrwd

Why the wide spread hatred for people who are trying to help others?

If they wore civvies and just had a badge saying "advice for foreigners" I would have no problem with them, but they like to dress up as cops, even though they have ZERO authority, and go around telling people what to do, while ignoring child abuse in front of them.

Although no one is going to say "Oh good" loud music and drunk kids...

I have to be honest.

At that age, at that time of night ... if a Foreigner full of his own self importance and no legal authority told me, a Local . to "pack up and leave..."

It would be SHOWTIME, and I mean NOW.

A foreigner, most likely Farang, telling a Thai to move on ...

Amazing Farang ... really. Where do these people get off with BS like this?

foreigner, most likely Farang, telling a Thai to move on ...

Fair chance the foreigner is a farang...idiot comment

There are plenty of self important non-farang foreigners in this country too. Or do you just have something against farangs?

Only the wannabe cops.

Foreigners need to stop playing Hardy Boys in Thailand.

Sir....Either your ignorance as to what constitutes an R.T.P. Liaison Officer (comprised of volunteer ex-pats) is showing or you are just being offensive! The expat police volunteers are in a formal relationship with the Royal Thai Police as R.T.P. Liaison Officers, In addition to being readily available to answer the many questions which the foreign visitor may have, fulfill a very important function in that they act as a liaison between non-Thai speaking "foreigners" and the Thai RTP officers, usually as a result of the said "foreigner" more often than not being in an inebriated state and having done something that, without the aid of the Volunteer, could easily result in the "offender" spending the night in a Thai jail, not a pleasant place at all!! They are not "cowboys" or "wannabees" and have been carefully screened before being accepted as a Liaison Officer. Many are retired police officers with extensive service in their home country and have a desire to GIVE something to both the country in which they have chosen to reside and to the visiting tourists or any other non-Thai speaking person who is in need of help. "Playing Hardy Boys"...such a frivolous and undeserved comment! In this case, from the reports provided, the volunteer was doing precisely what he or she is expected to do, no more and no less. Drunks are one thing...a common item to be found on Bangla Road and are treated with respect by the volunteers. There is absolutely no indication or suggestion that this officer was acting in any way inappropriately, (S)he witnessed the infractions and, informing them as to the nature of their transgression, ASKED them to move on, as is the volunteer's job to do. Drunken thugs out to pick a fight are fortunately a rarity...most people, drunk or sober are out for a good time..good meaning happy! Not, as was the case with these thugs, a group of drunken low-lifes who are a disgrace to themselves and their country of origin. They constitute a disruptive and hazardous presence, a presence which runs counter to the safety and well-being of those decent folks who deserve the protection of both the Thai RTP officers and the Volunteers who donate their time and efforts to make it a safer place.....even for people such as yourself who deride what most decent people would find commendable.

In addition to being readily available to answer the many questions which the foreign visitor may have, fulfill a very important function in that they act as a liaison between non-Thai speaking "foreigners" and the Thai RTP officers,

Assuming the Phuket volunteers are the same as Pattaya ones, why are the Pattaya ones ONLY on Walking Street, which is only one of many, many tourist night venues. Does none of the inebriation go on elsewhere? Actually, there never was a problem on Walking Street requiring a police presence before someone had the bright idea to station cops there, just as there is nothing elsewhere requiring a police presence, ergo no need for TPVs.

Police on Bangla, easy. Walk up Bangla away from the beach, when you get to Soi Seadragon turn right, the Soi that goes to The Patong Resort. Most nights you can find three or four of RTP's finest sat at the second, or is it the third bar on the right hand side. Very friendly they are too, always ready with a smile.

It appears that the fun has gone out of the pretending to be a; I am a big policeman game.

As I have said many times in the past on Thai visa, as a foreigner living in Thailand, keep a low profile, keep your head down and never get involved if you want to enjoy a safe and peaceful existence here.

it sounds as if they need more police 4 or 5 is really insufficient they have more than that in a village in the uk .

You are joking?

You'll be lucky to find a village bobby; or any police on the beat. All covered by CCTV and an outsourced centralized call center,

That's why UK city, town and village centers are such safe places, especially on a Thursday, Friday or Saturday night.

Sir....Either your ignorance as to what constitutes an R.T.P. Liaison Officer (comprised of volunteer ex-pats) is showing or you are just being offensive! The expat police volunteers are in a formal relationship with the Royal Thai Police as R.T.P. Liaison Officers, In addition to being readily available to answer the many questions which the foreign visitor may have, fulfill a very important function in that they act as a liaison between non-Thai speaking "foreigners" and the Thai RTP officers, usually as a result of the said "foreigner" more often than not being in an inebriated state and having done something that, without the aid of the Volunteer, could easily result in the "offender" spending the night in a Thai jail, not a pleasant place at all!! They are not "cowboys" or "wannabees" and have been carefully screened before being accepted as a Liaison Officer. Many are retired police officers with extensive service in their home country and have a desire to GIVE something to both the country in which they have chosen to reside and to the visiting tourists or any other non-Thai speaking person who is in need of help. "Playing Hardy Boys"...such a frivolous and undeserved comment! In this case, from the reports provided, the volunteer was doing precisely what he or she is expected to do, no more and no less. Drunks are one thing...a common item to be found on Bangla Road and are treated with respect by the volunteers. There is absolutely no indication or suggestion that this officer was acting in any way inappropriately, (S)he witnessed the infractions and, informing them as to the nature of their transgression, ASKED them to move on, as is the volunteer's job to do. Drunken thugs out to pick a fight are fortunately a rarity...most people, drunk or sober are out for a good time..good meaning happy! Not, as was the case with these thugs, a group of drunken low-lifes who are a disgrace to themselves and their country of origin. They constitute a disruptive and hazardous presence, a presence which runs counter to the safety and well-being of those decent folks who deserve the protection of both the Thai RTP officers and the Volunteers who donate their time and efforts to make it a safer place.....even for people such as yourself who deride what most decent people would find commendable.

The foreign police volunteers are their to liaise, translate, and assist foreigners and Thai police to communicate. Very good.

They do not have any powers as such, and when alone are no more than any other foreigner albeit wearing fancy dress. This particular had no authority of any kind to request them to move on. Quite frankly none of his/her business and lucky not to be assaulted.

The ones I've seen in Pattaya "out on the beat" very. But one or two like to wear the "thugs r us dark glasses" with shaven or near shaven bouncer hair cuts, and have collections of all sorts of trinkets attached to their belts. They are the "wannabee" ones and look and act like &lt;deleted&gt;.

There are some genuine ones no doubt. The gentleman who owns an hotel in Phukett and does stints at the airport to help tourists for one.

Some people can't help associating a uniform and just love to exaggerate what they perceive as a little bit of power. Telling Thais to move on - when your a foreigner wearing some costume in their country, without any power in reality, which they know? Wannabees.

The Expats that live in Phuket don't need volunteer police , surely only tourists need them and I think before much longer the tourists will stop coming , they will find friendlier places to go like Pattaya.............well maybe not Pattaya.. I wonder if this will get censored.

Telling Thais to move on - when your a foreigner wearing some costume in their country, without any power in reality

We don't know in what manner the foreign volunteer told them to move on, and whether he spoke to them in Thai or not. Since the volunteer was presumably aware of the lack of colleague 'back-up', that scenario should have been a major input as to whether or not he told the Thais to move on, and how he spoke to them. But in any case, a Thai officer really would be better-equipped to deal with this scenario.

I suggest that a curt instruction in English (or Thai) to tell them to move on would not be the best choice. Rather, a friendly chat in Thai about how they were waking up all the sleeping policemen in the area might be a better approach.

As an aside, it is many years since I patrolled in Bangla Road. I was proud of the fact that in all the potentially violent situations that I dealt with - mostly involving too much alcohol and Russians, I was able to diffuse the situation purely by talking, and never by physical action.

I stopped patrolling in Patong because I realized that sooner or later, some drunk would hit me, and the Thai Tourist Police medical insurance scheme was offered free to Thai volunteers, but not available in any form to foreign police volunteers.

Now the highlight of my patrols at the airport are to deal with antisocial use by Chinese tour groups of large, fold out maps of the island cheesy.gif

The foreign police volunteers are their to liaise, translate, and assist foreigners and Thai police to communicate. Very good.

They do not have any powers as such, and when alone are no more than any other foreigner albeit wearing fancy dress. This particular had no authority of any kind to request them to move on. Quite frankly none of his/her business and lucky not to be assaulted.

The ones I've seen in Pattaya "out on the beat" very. But one or two like to wear the "thugs r us dark glasses" with shaven or near shaven bouncer hair cuts, and have collections of all sorts of trinkets attached to their belts. They are the "wannabee" ones and look and act like <deleted>.

There are some genuine ones no doubt. The gentleman who owns an hotel in Phukett and does stints at the airport to help tourists for one.

Some people can't help associating a uniform and just love to exaggerate what they perceive as a little bit of power. Telling Thais to move on - when your a foreigner wearing some costume in their country, without any power in reality, which they know? Wannabees.

"The gentleman who owns an hotel in Phukett and does stints at the airport to help tourists for one."

Ok .. brilliant on his part, I wonder how may he "helped' find his hotel?

probably the farang volunteer put up a big mouth or chase them away like dogs, i kno those volunteers thinking their the law and the big shot.

maybe is better that the locals show them what happens in thailand if u put up a big mouth or show that ur the man.