No more free rides for bus and train in November

Lite Beer

No more free rides for bus and train in November

25-7-2558-13-59-03-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Beginning November there will be no more free bus and train rides as the government considered the free service has been its heavy financial burden.

But half price fare will be introduced for the elderly and the handicapped, while students enjoyed more privileges paying just one to two thirds of the fare.

This was what the cabinet meeting chaired by Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha agreed when it met yesterday to discuss economic matters.

The termination of free bus and train services came as Transport Minister ACM Prajin Juntong proposed the extension if the free bus and train services for another three months when they expire end of this month.

According to the minister, the people will continue to enjoy free rides until end of October.

After that no more free rides will be terminated.

ACM Prajin said all people will have to pay fares but with half priced for the elderly band the handicapped.

Transport ministry’s deputy permanent secretary Pongchai Kasemthaweesak said at first the ministry would like the elderly and the handicapped to continue enjoying free rides but after considering the heavy burden it has to shoulder, half price fare was introduced instead.

He revealed that a study into how free fares would affect government spending showed that free rides would place too much of a burden on the government’s public transport budget at a time when it is seeking to make significant cuts.

It was decided instead to charge the elderly and the handicapped half-price.

He said currently about 300 million baht is required to cover the cost of free bus and train services.

But if the free ride ends, only slightly over a hundred million would be needed to fund the discount scheme.

He also said the ministry would also consider giving same 50% discount to military veterans and low-income people earning less than 3,632 baht a month.

Besides the ministry would also working on fare structures for students which could be from one third to two thirds, depending on the education levels.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/no-more-free-rides-for-bus-and-train-in-november

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-07-25

A couple of years ago my wife and I took the train from Prachuap Khiri Kahn to Cha Am. The wife rode for free, I paid something like 27 baht, so a student would pay 9 to 18 baht depending on education level. Hardly onerous, someone must pay for infrastructure, otherwise maintenance will consist of ridding head office of evil spirits.

yes, indeed kotsak, lots and lots of happiness ...

This unelected junta is screwing the common man... I haven't seen the news here, but this same junta just privatized another 4 public universities (the 2007 junta-government also privatised several - something that "elected governments", as the current "PM" likes to disparagingly refer to them, never dared to do because the people don't want it...

These people are going to make it really simple for the next-gen PTP to get elected... The junta/generals are creating the next set of campaign promises every day...

But they don't care since the 'reforms' will hamstring any and every popularly elected government for the next 10 years.

BTW, regarding costs, I just wonder how much these 50 families contribute to the Thai tax base... Bet they could pay for bus-rides and university programs together... If the general wants more money for normal Thai people, he should go talk to his financial backers...

Can't believe the usual suspects are still crapping on about happiness and the 50 richest families in Thailand. Must have run out of ammo and have started to recycle old material.

Let's just hope that this government does not screw the common man with bus and train fares to the point where droves of them commit suicide, a-la the previous "democratically elected" government. thumbsup.gif

Have to get money for new submarines somewhere. Whynot old and the disabled,they certainly cannot fight back.

I made a quick calculation.

The government claims this tax on the poor will save 200.000.000 baht - (no doubt, this is after meticulously calculating all aspects).

That means we need only 180 similar schemes to be able to buy the Navy's toys, without burdening the budget.

Have to get money for new submarines somewhere. Whynot old and the disabled,they certainly cannot fight back.

I have been hearing this a lot lately, and I'm not referring to Thailand.

Substitute you first sentence to, have to get money for the MPs wage increase and overseas aid.

I think most of you will get my drift.

Can't believe the usual suspects are still crapping on about happiness and the 50 richest families in Thailand. Must have run out of ammo and have started to recycle old material.

Let's just hope that this government does not screw the common man with bus and train fares to the point where droves of them commit suicide, a-la the previous "democratically elected" government. thumbsup.gif

Pot, kettle, black comes to my mind every time you add something to every topic!

A couple of years ago my wife and I took the train from Prachuap Khiri Kahn to Cha Am. The wife rode for free, I paid something like 27 baht, so a student would pay 9 to 18 baht depending on education level. Hardly onerous, someone must pay for infrastructure, otherwise maintenance will consist of ridding head office of evil spirits.

I remember when I used to live down south with my ex many years ago that she used to pay nothing to ride the train within the province and I had to pay a few baht. It will hit the poor and the kids that travel to the nearest big town to continue their education.

Another well thought out idea,why not reduce the military budget instead?

Pot, kettle, black comes to my mind every time you add something to every topic!

You're lucky, I am not allowed to post what I think of your comments. biggrin.png

You're lucky, I am not allowed to post what I think of your comments. biggrin.png

Please feel free to IM me then?

another nail in the coffin no more free rides on buses and trains for the elderly this government are lurching from one catastrophe to another the poor always suffer .

Hurts me to admit it, but in a way I do agree with you. The PM should fire any advisers he has and think about hiring a good PR team.

I remember when I used to live down south with my ex many years ago that she used to pay nothing to ride the train within the province and I had to pay a few baht. It will hit the poor and the kids that travel to the nearest big town to continue their education.

I guess everyone should ride for free, farmers should get more than world price for their crops, dairy workers should get more for their milk, the minimum wage should rise and the cost of cars and fuel should fall. I would like to see it, unfortunately we live in the real world, and there are no free rides.

amazing the usual suspects are still hugging the junta after all their screw-ups... thumbsup.gif

As for the richest 50 Thais, well let's just say that some of us understand who the real "bus-drivers" are... coffee1.gif

I guess everyone should ride for free, farmers should get more than world price for their crops, dairy workers should get more for their milk, the minimum wage should rise and the cost of cars and fuel should fall. I would like to see it, unfortunately we live in the real world, and there are no free rides.

You have that wrong!

In the real world there ARE free rides.

For the wrong people though.

"But half price fare will be introduced for the elderly and the handicapped, while students enjoyed more privileges paying just one to two thirds of the fare."

Seems more like schemes we have in the West. Totally free is not seen in many countries I think. Not even the Greek or the British government offered free rides for all for a few years.

amazing the usual suspects are still hugging the junta after all their screw-ups... thumbsup.gif

As for the richest 50 Thais, well let's just say that some of us understand who the real "bus-drivers" are... coffee1.gif

Well, whatever this topic is about, I doubt that any of the 50 richest Thai will be a 'real' busdriver, not even a regular passenger. Two or three years ago one Minister tried to reach the airport in time, but had to switch back to his chauffeur driven car.

BTW

""But half price fare will be introduced for the elderly and the handicapped, while students enjoyed more privileges paying just one to two thirds of the fare.""

now that seems more like a reasonable measure some of us have in our countries of origin as well.

How about naming these junta huggers you keep crapping on about. And you better not put me on that list as I am prone to complain about them when they ask for it.

You on the other hand have never admitted to your beloved Shins or redshirts doing anything wrong which tells me why you are posting on this forum, and it is not to kill time.

You have that wrong!

In the real world there ARE free rides.

For the wrong people though.

Be sure to post a photo the next time you see an "elite" on one of those busses or trains. The next time Thailand orders steel from China for rail they will get a discount, or perhaps ties will be free, maybe Thai workmen will repair the roads for free and engineers will donate their labor. Who is going to pay? The roads don't pave themselves, that's why there are toll roads, and taxes on gasoline and diesel. Nothing is free, even if you're rich.

RAMROD,

The expression "free ride" in the previous post did not mean "free bus ride" - I thought that was clear.

And you say the rich have to pay too for things? Sure, but they pay with money they got for free.....

(while eating their free business lunches, sleeping in 5* hotels paid by their company / government, and being chauffeured in their company cars)

How about naming these junta huggers you keep crapping on about. And you better not put me on that list as I am prone to complain about them when they ask for it.

You on the other hand have never admitted to your beloved Shins or redshirts doing anything wrong which tells me why you are posting on this forum, and it is not to kill time.

The "shins" are not my beloved, either.

Since I don't have time to search for your junta-hugger posts, let's agree that not all Thaksin-haters are Junta-huggers and not all Junta-haters are Thaksin-lackeys, and then move on ... OK?

(although you seem to recognize some kind of legitimacy for the current regime already puts you down in my book as a "hugger" thumbsup.gif )

Since I don't have time to search for your junta-hugger posts, let's agree that not all Thaksin-haters are Junta-huggers and not all Junta-haters are Thaksin-lackeys, and then move on ... OK?

(although you seem to recognize some kind of legitimacy for the current regime already puts you down in my book as a "hugger" thumbsup.gif )

good post - as usual the rich and elite are taking from the poor again and the poor and disabled will suffer from this new "let them eat cake" policy

good post - as usual the rich and elite are taking from the poor again and the poor and disabled will suffer from this new "let them eat cake" policy

Absolutely!

Again a government drops a policy which cost a lot of money and which does not show to reach the targeted people. Now we'll get measures which make sure the targeted people can make use of the policy, not those for whom it's not meant. Also students will be targeted to. Just like measures we see in Western countries.

"But half price fare will be introduced for the elderly and the handicapped, while students enjoyed more privileges paying just one to two thirds of the fare."

Of course also thought are given to other low income earners, but some administration needs to be set up to ensure no rich elite try to profit from the scheme.

"He also said the ministry would also consider giving same 50% discount to military veterans and low-income people earning less than 3,632 baht a month."

PS 300 Baht a day gives you about 9,000 a month.

Edited by rubl

the free "a lot of things" was also an experiment in my home country

it was a sure way for a politician to get elected & re-elected for life

free is never free, always someone else will have to cough up for it

"coughing up" ? Slightly biased language?

So you refuse "to cough up" for handicapped and sick people, children, elderly, libraries, parks?