dutch embassy traveller cheques

8 months ago my boyfriend and i went to holland for 6 weeks and he was given a visa no problem.

my cousin was his garanty, we want to go again in a few months does the dutch embassy accepts travellers cheques as a means of support in his name or better to have bank account and credit card?

rick

Yes, it's one of the official options that you can chose on the application form but it's kinda old fashioned so I can imagen that most embassies prefer an up to date bankbook or bankstatement of a credit/debit account in the applicants name. The Dutch have no specific info on traveler cheques, but if it's clear that the money is owned by the Thai national and that the Thai national will have access to these funds during the trip it should be fine. The French write "original travellers cheques, signed by the applicant (ideally with purchase receipt)" which seems like a smart suggestion to remove any doubt that the money is indeed the property and accesable by the applicant.

Remember that the Dutch require 34 euro's per day per person (if there is no sponsor giving financial guarantee), other Schengen states have different financial requirements.

Edit: You are a Dutchy, not? I think you are but incase you are from any other EU/EEA country (except NL!!!): you might be eligable for a free visa, issued with minimum paperwork and issued ASAP, as the Dutch do also apply Direcitve 2004/38 Freedom of Movement to those who are in a relationship akin to marriage, which will be assumed is the case if there has been cohabitation for atleast 6 months. The Old Git found the visa for his girlfriend issued swiftly and with no hassle. If you are Dutch... well still no worries as the number of refusals is relatively low, around 1% over 2014. Veel succes, good luck!

Edited by Donutz

Yes, it's one of the official options that you can chose on the application form but it's kinda old fashioned so I can imagen that most embassies prefer an up to date bankbook or bankstatement of a credit/debit account in the applicants name. The Dutch have no specific info on traveler cheques, but if it's clear that the money is owned by the Thai national and that the Thai national will have access to these funds during the trip it should be fine. The French write "original travellers cheques, signed by the applicant (ideally with purchase receipt)" which seems like a smart suggestion to remove any doubt that the money is indeed the property and accesable by the applicant.

Remember that the Dutch require 34 euro's per day per person (if there is no sponsor giving financial guarantee), other Schengen states have different financial requirements.

Edit: You are a Dutchy, not? I think you are but incase you are from any other EU/EEA country (except NL!!!): you might be eligable for a free visa, issued with minimum paperwork and issued ASAP, as the Dutch do also apply Direcitve 2004/38 Freedom of Movement to those who are in a relationship akin to marriage, which will be assumed is the case if there has been cohabitation for atleast 6 months. The Old Git found the visa for his girlfriend issued swiftly and with no hassle. If you are Dutch... well still no worries as the number of refusals is relatively low, around 1% over 2014. Veel succes, good luck!

hi

i am dutch. i think we will maybe just do a combination of all of them, is it true that if it is the 2nd visa it is easier as they can see you followed all the rules the first time?

rick

It won't be any harder and assuming you prepare yourself again, it should be easier. Officially each application is judged on it's own merits but a positive travel history is good to show intention of returning home in time.