Just back from Mae Sot/ Myawaddy.

My wife is from Mae Sot. Never had to do a border crossing there, but we visit several times a year and it is always very relaxing and pleasant. People there are quite laid back and very friendly still. If it weren't for the need for good schools for our young daughter we would probably settle there now.

I travelled from Phetchabun to get a visa stamp at Mae Sot as an alternative to Nong Khai. This was before the Ta Li crossing opened near Loie. It was a pleasant experience compared to Nong khai, which always seemed very busy. Added to this was the in/out Laos visa and the waste of a couple of passport pages with the big embossed visa stamp. Mae Sot is far less hassle, cheaper and requires less paper wastage.

I have done this crossing many times, and have had nothing but positive experiences on both sides of the bridge.

I would recommend both the Thais and the Burmese for their excellent hassle free service.

• Like 1

We have also had good experiences in Mae Sot border crossing. Mae Sot also has very nice shopping and good Thai restaurants. The only draw back is the road from Tak to Mae Sot, curvey mountain road, but since first trip in 2001 the road has been greatly improved. Watch out on the blind curves, some of the drivers don't mind passing on them.

I did a second 60day entry there last week; in fact I have been going to Mae Sot to do the visa-crossing for years,mainly because the Immi crew on both sides are always great, in fact one of them fell in love with me last week, and a few years back I jokingly said 300days please and she said if you marry me yes; jokingly of course.

• 2 weeks later...