Note to Readers: Clarification on New Laws Curbing Alcohol Sales in Thailand

webfact

Note to Readers: Clarification on New Laws Curbing Alcohol Sales in Thailand
Khaosod English

ksod.jpg
Police question customers at a bar in Pathum Thani on 25 July 2015 that is within 300 meters of Rangsit University.

From the Editors

BANGKOK: -- Last week the Thai government passed two separate legal measures restricting the sale of alcohol near educational institutions across the country. We would like to clarify the differences between the two measures, which have led to some confusion about the scope and definition of the new regulations.

The first legal measure was an amendment to the 2008 Control of Alcoholic Beverage Act passed by the Office of Prime Minister on 22 July 2015.

The amendment outlaws selling alcohol within 300 meters of the "fence" of universities and colleges, both public and private. Lower schools are not included in the ban.

The amendment, which will come into effect 30 days after its publication, also exempts hotels, “entertainment zones,” and wholesale factories and distributors from the restriction. Currently, only Patpong district, and parts of New Petchburi Road and Ratchadapisek Road are considered entertainment zones in Bangkok.

On the following day - 23 July 2015 - Gen. Prayuth Chan-ocha, the Prime Minister... [read more]

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1437978181&section=0200

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2015-07-27

RELATED: PM Prayut orders ban on alcohol sales near universities and vocational colleges

RELATED: 2 Bars Closed Down Under Junta's Sweeping Booze Ban

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There is life outside of Bangkok, and it would be nice if the laws were made clearer for Big stores like Tesco Lotus and Big C where some of their stores are within the 300 metre zone. The exemption for lower schools is ridiculous. Lower school is M 1 to M 3 and some of those kids are quite big and drink. Also Male Thai teachers drink, so the ban should be for every school

Seems there definition of 'clarification' isn't the same as mine. Summary: 1st order states lower schools not included, 2nd order says they may be. <sigh>

And, the first one says within "300 mtr....the 2nd. one says within the "vicinity"?

"claification" - every time a dictum like this is followed by "clarification"...WHY?..... because they are ill-conceived ill-thought out and poorly organised and poorly executed - in fact just a load of nonsense that eventually will fall flat on it's face or fade into obsolescence....

The amendment outlaws selling alcohol within 300 meters of the "fence" of universities and colleges, both public and private.

That is an important clarification. Previously there had been various maps posted of new the prohibition zones, but they had all been based on single points, such as the entrance to a school, rather than 300m out from the entire perimeter of the school. This significantly enlarges the potential prohibition zone. It looks like they mean 300m out from any point on a school's property.

Laws are often badly written in Thailand, but at least when there's a parliament there's a chance for MPs to question and debate the drafts so as to iron out some of the nonsense, or vote the whole thing down. In the current situation, you have no checks and balances and authoritarian clowns can come up with senseless ideas which get turned into law willy-nilly. Only when the law is in place and they see the reactions do they actually start to think. Perhaps. Maybe. Just possibly.

One would think that if there was a problem with alcohol and schools, a law like this would be justified. I have not read or heard about any such problem during all my time here in Thailand?? What is this thing really about?

Like if there where hoards of drunken students stumbling around at Ramkanhaeng and Chula, I would think there was a problem. On the other hand that problem would soon solve itself as those hoards would soon fail in their studies and fail the exams, automatic exit from school and problem solved?

Wait, I know what happened...Some guy high up in the (Junta) government caught his kid coming home after school a bit soggy, and decided it was everyone's else's fault but his, that's why this new law has come into existence....

Edited by AlQaholic

I can't see any booze in the pic....

It's one of those no alcohol bars.

The students just go there to text each other and get out of the sun! But see the kids raising their hands?

The cops are asking, "Who wants a drink" Then pointing at the kids that raise their hands. Therefore, guilty!

Another "order" from the junta.....who expect everyone to jump to attention at with a brisk..Yes sir!

Unfortunately for these guys.......it's very difficult for them to understand that this is not a battalion they're running.....!

Anyway - what we would really like to know is:

1. Can the local 7/11 stores and Tescos etc sell if they are within a 300m vicinity
  2. Are lower schools completely exempt from the ban? If not why not
  3. How much of central sukhumvit will be affected - and if they ARE; does it mean that only hotels from say, On Nut - Siam are the only venues able to sell alcohol
  4. Please feel free to add more questions

The "law"and the "order" both looks clear to me now, with one exception. ""Vicinity"needs to be explained. Once that is done it's just to follow both.

The consequences for not abiding by these are however a different matter and will hopefully be clarified as well.

what about showing id card when buying ?

This is the no brainer of the whole issue, ID cards or no serve,,,,,enforce that and you're done. The police could literally bust these joints weekly until they get it and comply.

The only kink in that armor, is that Thais usually buy bottle service and all "share". So, one kid can get the bottle that is of age, and his friends all drink from it. So, the ID requirement would have to be one that you must have ID to get into the bar, not just buy the alcohol.

This is difficult for most Thai Style joints that have food and alcohol and some music. But if they want to clean up the young drinkers, ID control is all that is required.

Of course this won't stop them from drinking, it will just stop them from doing it at these joints near schools.

Edited by remaxtony

This whole issue is a complete cluster.... and add to it the two day religious holiday ban that in Phuket anyway is to include hotels..

Since things are supposed to go in threes I wonder what disaster the powers that be can dream up to complete the set ?

No No No, I wish I hadn't said that.

Let me spike the dyke so to speak. How does law apply to schools that have restaurants and coffee shops ON campus, that serve wine, beers and spirits?

Well thought out plan.

Maybe brought to you by the thinker of the great alcohol ban on selling between the hours of eleven O' clock and five PM? BUT you can buy between these times if you buy TWO or more of what you wanted in the first place.

Failing that, walk into a mom and pop store and buy what you like, even on religious and no drink allowed to be consumed or drunk, holidays.

Wow the think tank must be getting hot with all those thought waves generating heat?

From the point of view of the enforcers, be they wearing brown or green, it is a well thought out law. It is vague enough to allow for a whole range of "informal taxes".

I doubt whether the aim is to put establishments out of business, that would kill the goose that lays the golden egg, rather to open up a whole new income stream.