Note to Readers: Clarification on New Laws Curbing Alcohol Sales in Thailand

webfact

Stickman has reported that in Bangkok Soi Cowboy bar owners have been told they are exempt. So, there is a law but, as usual in Thailand, the law is being imposed selectively. I'd put that down to common sense, but that doesn't exist in Thailand so there must be another reason.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I try and go to Chiang Mai area a couple of times a year and in the city I see lots of school and school kids walking around. I see a poster has already mentioned this as it seams to stand could close down inside the moat area totally. They can't be serious surely. I used to really like going to tiger kingdom etc. not bothered about loh kroh too much but okay from time to foxy lady when out the lads.

I'm sure somebody on here with far better knowledge than me of CM can help please

Edited by Nigeone

There is life outside of Bangkok, and it would be nice if the laws were made clearer for Big stores like Tesco Lotus and Big C where some of their stores are within the 300 metre zone. The exemption for lower schools is ridiculous. Lower school is M 1 to M 3 and some of those kids are quite big and drink. Also Male Thai teachers drink, so the ban should be for every school

Read and try to inwardly digest!

The amendment outlaws selling alcohol within 300 meters of the "fence" of universities and colleges, both public and private. Lower schools are not included in the ban.

The amendment, which will come into effect 30 days after its publication, also exempts hotels, “entertainment zones,” and wholesale factories and distributors from the restriction. Currently, only Patpong district, and parts of New Petchburi Road and Ratchadapisek Road are considered entertainment zones in Bangkok.

On the following day - 23 July 2015 - Gen. Prayuth Chan-ocha, the Prime Minister and leader of the junta's National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO), issued aseparate order through Section 44 of the interim constitution that became effective immediately.

The NCPO order forbids selling alcohol in the "vicinity" of "educational institutions" and student dormitories. The scope of "vicinity" and "educational instutions" is not specified in the order, although the latter is defined in existing laws as including all levels of education, such as elementary schools and high schools.

At the time of writing, officials have not confirmed how the NCPO order will be applied.

P.S. "Currently, only Patpong district, and parts of New Petchburi Road and Ratchadapisek Road are considered entertainment zones in Bangkok."

So the Nana or Soi Cowboy areas of Sukhumvit are not considered "entertainment" zones?

Edited by sambum

Stickman has reported that in Bangkok Soi Cowboy bar owners have been told they are exempt. So, there is a law but, as usual in Thailand, the law is being imposed selectively. I'd put that down to common sense, but that doesn't exist in Thailand so there must be another reason.

Are there any schools or educational establishments within 300 metres of Soi Cowboy? If so, then the law should apply to Soi Cowboy, but obviously "there must be another reason"! cheesy.gif

Edited by sambum

When are we getting the clarification on the "clarification"?

blink.png

,,, and I'm still waiting for an explanation on how a 300 metre "no booze" zone is going to stop uni students buying booze. Are the powers that be REALLY so retarded?

Edited by Fullstop

Im was working on my new business plan. Rent a commercial location in the middle of Sukhumvit to be registered as a poly-technique or other college. Then charge extortion money to the surrounding bars Not to open! - But Im sure someone else wearing brown will think of it first.

Nice plan but don't forget to top up your life insurance too.

Are there any schools or educational establishments within 300 metres of Soi Cowboy? If so, then the law should apply to Soi Cowboy, but obviously "there must be another reason"! cheesy.gif

The closest school is Srinakharinwirot University Prasarnmit Demonstration School (Secondary) ... about 400 metres away ... and it would be classed as a "lower school" anyway. Soi Cowboy is in the clear.

Sorry to stick a pin in your conspiracy balloon.

thumbsup.gif

The people of Thailand , to include the Ex pat community, would like to announce that as from midnight on 27th July 2015 all stupid rules to the detriment of common sense will from this date onwards be banned. Any stupid rule suggested will be categorically denied and said persons responsible will be sent to inactive post approximately 300mts from any other member of the human race. Anybody seeking clarification on this ruling is required to first give details of their IQ level followed by there bank details and address of Mia Noi currently supported by said persons and any particular sexual deviance they take part in on weekends. It should be noted that any suggestion to the detriment of getting drunk or laid will result in particular nasty outcomes including becoming a member of the Junta or a buffalo in Issan.

This ruling will stay in force till the people of this country have run out of alcohol, maternity bras or condoms. As an amendment to this ruling it is also stated that all beer girls and pretties will have to work double shifts and cater to all the needs of their customers and failure to carry out this task will incur the wrath of all hot blooded males. Toms and lesbians are exempt from any penalties due to sex equality laws and are free to do whatever they want. Providing videos of there activities is purely down to personal choice.

The people have spoken.

Please be upstanding for the national anthem of the new regime. Always look on the bright side of life, Dee dum dee dum

Edited by Nigeone

So the Nana or Soi Cowboy areas of Sukhumvit are not considered "entertainment" zones?

I believe they are "prostitution zones" gigglem.gif

But seriously, like Soi Cowboy... there are no unis or schools in a 300 metre radius of Soi 4.

(I checked Google maps and Google Earth)

thumbsup.gif

Edited by Fullstop

Seems there definition of 'clarification' isn't the same as mine. Summary: 1st order states lower schools not included, 2nd order says they may be. <sigh>

And, the first one says within "300 mtr....the 2nd. one says within the "vicinity"?

And the 3rd one says, <deleted> it, its getting to complicated so lets just leave it as it is

Surely in most big cities (or even villages) everywhere is within 300m of an educational establishment.

So if Nana and Cowboy are not designated "entertainment zones" is that the end of them?

There are no eligible schools within 300 metres of those places.

(Check maps)

Has anyone seen ANY enforcement in Pattaya yet?

I don't think I'll believe they're serious until Walking Street and Soi 6 get shut down. I guess Walking Street might qualify as an entertainment district, but I can't see Soi 6 getting that designation. whistling.gif

Neither soi 6 nor Walking Street are popular with Thai students. They will be unaffected.

The closest school is Srinakharinwirot University Prasarnmit Demonstration School (Secondary) ... about 400 metres away ... and it would be classed as a "lower school" anyway. Soi Cowboy is in the clear.

Sorry to stick a pin in your conspiracy balloon.

thumbsup.gif

Not according to the map Thaivisa map showed. Isn't the SPIP international school less than 300m?.

Edited by firestar

I don't think I'll believe they're serious until Walking Street and Soi 6 get shut down. I guess Walking Street might qualify as an entertainment district, but I can't see Soi 6 getting that designation. whistling.gif

Neither soi 6 nor Walking Street are popular with Thai students. They will be unaffected.

I don't recall seeing anything in either the order or the amendment that said only locations that are popular with Thai students will be affected. I guess the real answer is that no one knows for sure until it starts getting enforced. Or enforced selectively. Or not at all.

Until then... we speculate!

Lots of "Schoolgirls" down Soi 6...is there a University down there?

Also exempts hotels, “entertainment zones,” and wholesale factories and distributors from the restriction.

I thought where the bars are located would be entertainment zones?

What is the defnitiomn of wholesale?

Just sell 10 litres to one guy? Same as shops that are not allowed to sell between 2 pm amd 5 pm (or whatever time it is)

There is life outside of Bangkok, and it would be nice if the laws were made clearer for Big stores like Tesco Lotus and Big C where some of their stores are within the 300 metre zone. The exemption for lower schools is ridiculous. Lower school is M 1 to M 3 and some of those kids are quite big and drink. Also Male Thai teachers drink, so the ban should be for every school

Read and try to inwardly digest!

The amendment outlaws selling alcohol within 300 meters of the "fence" of universities and colleges, both public and private. Lower schools are not included in the ban.

The amendment, which will come into effect 30 days after its publication, also exempts hotels, “entertainment zones,” and wholesale factories and distributors from the restriction. Currently, only Patpong district, and parts of New Petchburi Road and Ratchadapisek Road are considered entertainment zones in Bangkok.

On the following day - 23 July 2015 - Gen. Prayuth Chan-ocha, the Prime Minister and leader of the junta's National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO), issued aseparate order through Section 44 of the interim constitution that became effective immediately.

The NCPO order forbids selling alcohol in the "vicinity" of "educational institutions" and student dormitories. The scope of "vicinity" and "educational instutions" is not specified in the order, although the latter is defined in existing laws as including all levels of education, such as elementary schools and high schools.

At the time of writing, officials have not confirmed how the NCPO order will be applied.

P.S. "Currently, only Patpong district, and parts of New Petchburi Road and Ratchadapisek Road are considered entertainment zones in Bangkok."

cheating zones !!