Airport Link. What a disgrace!

Although I have travelled on the Airport Link train a number of times before, today coming back into town from the airport it really struck me what a disgraceful service it provides.

I know this is not news to many people but here goes anyway:

Only two of the ticket machines (out of 5 I saw) were working. Option was a long wait at the single manned counter.

Long wait with lots of people on the station platform for the train to come in.

The train consisted of only 3 (maybe 4) carriages of the Express carriages, so few seats and many people had to stand or sit on the floor.

In fact some seats had been removed maybe to create more standing room.

Still no non-stop express service running so by the first stop just outside the airport people were pushing to cram themselves into the carriages.

People were being left behind at stations because of no more room.

Tourists were having to battle to get off with their bulky luggage.

I saw 2 trains going in the opposite direction during the 30 odd minute trip to Phaya Thai and both trains looked like cut-down trains with just 3 or 4 express carriages.

The dense crowds getting off at Phaya Thai looked like a scene from Ghandi.

It seems incredible to me that with such a vast expenditure in building the massive stations and with a such a large customer demand that more or longer trains are not being run to capture more business.

Looks like a no-brainer to me.

I think there may be a tender for up to seven (7) new trains, with up to five (5) cars each? Maybe by 29 July 2015? Maybe an order by September? Delivery maybe 2017?

And significant repairs on existing trains, maybe starting in 2016, taking more than one year to complete?

From a June 15, 2015 news article...

"After we announce the maintenance bid winner, we will need eight or nine months to obtain spare parts, so repairs are likely to commence in mid-2016,'' Mr Pakorn said. "With each train requiring 45 days...
In the meantime they are trying to keep the existing trains running as best as they can.

yeah, they forgot about the maintenance of the trains when they started .... and it all came to a head recently as parts were breaking down as no repair / replacement schedule had been put in place ....

what kind of outfit are they running ... gigglem.gif

yeah, they forgot about the maintenance of the trains when they started .... and it all came to a head recently as parts were breaking down as no repair / replacement schedule had been put in place ....

Yes but its been over a year, maybe 2 years already.

The express trains now being used for the 'Cityline' service have 4 cars compared to the usual 3. The problem is that 4th car was built to carry luggage and so the floor is not suitable for walking on.

The Airport Link has been overcrowded for months now. How difficult would it be to convert the floor of the 4th car so that people could stand in it? Hardly a feat of great engineering to put down a bit of flooring and it would relieve a lot of crowding.

Whenever I travel on the ARL the film 'Idiocracy' comes to mind.

It's almost as though the architects and operators of the ARL had look at everything that works well on the BTS, had a look at what would be logical when designing a train system, and then did the complete opposite.

It's indeed a disgrace, you forgot to mention de gestapo- like security who command the travellers and treat them like cattle before boarding. I purchased a pass to avoid waiting but it will never be a joy-ride...As so many projects, no advance planning on maintenance and expansion.

I've taken the airport link a number of times and never had horrible experiences, but I must admit it did get worse over time: more crowded, they dropped the express, etc.

At least they've started running a bit later (per one notice I saw); kind of the point to have a train available as needed so running after midnight when so many flights come in late makes sense. People claim taxis are a great way to go but with luggage added if you travel with a family not so much. Then again the train wouldn't work well either with lots of luggage and extra people (can be done, but a bit rough), so the only other option is paying up for a limo, 1400 baht or whatever, so cheaper to take two taxis.

We took a version of the airport link in Seoul, what it was supposed to be, a train where you could check baggage for the flight at a starting point. For the traveler that's a great alternative, assuming it's that much more convenient to get there with luggage. For the rail system it's a nightmare; they need an entire staff there, all the flight registration systems set up, luggage handling, screening, etc. They even had an immigration screening step there, but it wouldn't be necessary to include that. I can see why they planned to do such a thing in Bangkok, registration and luggage check-in, but odd they'd fall so far short and still partially set it up, eg. configure train cars dedicated for baggage and set up an express route (later cancelled).