• Topics

• Latest posts...

1. 36

60 Minutes blasted after replacing harris word salad…

2. 45

Reasons of change

3. 45

Reasons of change

4. 45

Reasons of change

5. 93

Why Are You Even Here? The Surprising Attitudes of Some Expats in Thailand

6. 112

Thai Police Bust Multi-Million Baht Sex Toy Smuggling Ring

7. 45

Reasons of change

8. 45

Reasons of change

9. 6

Thai woman sends husband to prison for raping 13 year old niece

10. 45

Reasons of change

11. 10

Why Doesnt "Me Too" Apply to Democrats?

12. 123

Why Do You Even Drink?

13. 93

Why Are You Even Here? The Surprising Attitudes of Some Expats in Thailand

PM Prayut promises cabinet overhaul late this month or sooner

webfact

PM promises cabinet overhaul late this month or sooner

27-7-2558-12-19-05-wpcf_728x408.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Prime Minister Prayut Chan-0cha said Monday that he would reshuffle his entire cabinet after the incumbent administration has fulfilled its one year in the office or probably sooner.

He said that the reshuffle would base on assessment of the performance of individual ministers, their achievements as well as their ages and health because they have been working very hard.

“Cabinet reshuffle will take place at the appropriate time – that is after a certain period there must be some adjustments. But the shakeup does not mean that they (ministers) have done anything wrong or because they have not met public expectations,” said the prime minister.

He maintained that the shakeup would not be limited only to the economic team, pointing out that the economic ministers were targeted for removal because people felt that the economy is bad without knowing the real causes of the economic problem.

The prime minister rebuked at the suggestion that military officers in his cabinet should be replaced by professionals. “Who are the professionals?” he asked and said that professionals had administered the country for a long time and nothing has improved.

“Are military officers so stupid?” asked the prime minister insisting that military officers are not stupid.

Asked about the US State Department’s annual report this year on Thailand’s record on human trafficking, the prime minister said that he had received some reports from diplomatic sources but he declined to elaborate.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/pm-promises-cabinet-overhaul-late-this-month-or-sooner

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-07-27

The question he asked about military officers (at least in Thailand) only has, with all available evidence, only one answer, and it ain't the one he wants to hear. Thailand's armed forces have long been a Western Alliance joke - I wonder why that is?

And endless "corrections" by the army have yet to have a positive result for anyone aside from the army - I wonder why that is?

Edited by Snig27

"pointing out that the economic ministers were targeted for removal because people felt that the economy is bad without knowing the real causes of the economic problem." The problem is you and your financial team doesn't know the real cause

"Are military officers so stupid?"

I could comment but I am happy here with my family, I do not need an extended holiday for AA, nor do I need more hassle at immigration.

I hasten to add I am not anti military, as they still send me my pension, thank God for the Paymaster General.

POLITICS
Cabinet reshuffle coming soon, PM finally concedes

ANAPAT DEECHUAY,
ERICH PARPART,
PETCHANET PRATRUANGKRAI
THE NATION

30265369-01_big.jpg?1438034228325
Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha listens to a Nakhon Sawan Vocational College student explain how to make Khon masks at the opening of a Vocational School Fair at Klong Phadung Krung Kasem, near Government House, yesterday.

BANGKOK: -- PRIME MINISTER Prayut Chan-o-cha stated for the first time yesterday that he would be reshuffling his Cabinet, around the time his government completes its first year in power.

That will be clear when the government has worked for a year, or it may take place sooner," he said.

The current Cabinet started work in September last year, about four months after the coup led by then Army chief General Prayut on May 22.

Prayut said tongue-in-cheek that former finance minister Somkid Jatusripitak might join the Cabinet. Somkid, a co-founder of the now-defunct Thai Rak Thai Party, served as finance minister in the government led by Thaksin Shinawatra.

When asked if Somkid, who is now an economic adviser to the National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO), is among the ministerial candidates, the prime minister replied: "Yes, he is. I never mentioned him. It's the media that has nominated him. Do you have any other candidate?

"Please stay calm. I will make the appointment myself," he added.

However, the prime minister appeared miffed when a reporter suggested Somkid might help restore confidence in the economy.

"Have confidence in me. I am in charge. Why should there be confidence in other people? I am the leader and I order [the Cabinet members] to do their job," he said.

Prayut also ruled out a unity government, saying that no politicians would join his Cabinet.

"Politicians should not come in at this time," he said.

The prime minister said he would shake up his Cabinet because it was time for changes after the government has worked for some time already. The move was not because any ministers had done things wrong or the public wanted to see a Cabinet reshuffle.

Changes in his Cabinet would not be particularly aimed at improving the economy. The PM also hit back at politicians who criticised his government's handling of the economy. "I will also blame them for the unsolved problems. I have inherited a lot of problems. We are solving them and making things better. It takes time and I have no magic wand to change things overnight," he said.

Meanwhile, business leaders yesterday expressed hope that new economic ministers, expected to be appointed as part of the reshuffle, would bring positive changes.

Pimonwan Mahujchariyawong, deputy managing director of Kasikorn Research Centre, said the effectiveness of the new Council of Economic Ministers would partly be based on the level of confidence that the new ministers would bring. She expects current economic policies to continue without interruption despite the changes.

"Many of the speculated candidates are capable individuals; there is already a framework for the big picture and if the new team is already working alongside the old team then I expect little interruption, if any at all," she said.

Urgent issues that the new council should focus on were to continue with efforts to help farmers hit by drought, help for small and medium enterprises struggling with lower competitiveness, tackling the slowdown in exports, and accelerating a second stimulus package.

Isara Vongkusolkit, chairman to the Board of Trade and the Thai Chamber of Commerce, agreed with the need for a reshuffle in some key positions but he was also worried about the new administration's ability and stability of the government, as the current Cabinet team had coordinated quite well.

He said current economic ministers had worked closely with the private sector.

Prinn Panitchpakdi, country head at CLSA Securities (Thailand), said the new Council of Economic Ministers would take the reins at a tough economic time, such as the slowdown in exports and domestic demand. But their image might be boosted by the fact that the economy would be better in the fourth quarter, with or without changes.

"The economy will turn around in the fourth quarter," Prinn predicted.

He said Deputy Premier MR Pridiyathorn Devakula had done "a very good job" in laying the foundations for the future, including a master plan for the digital economy.

"If Somkid [Jatusripitak] takes charge as the new head of the council, it would improve the public relations aspect, something that has been lacking in the current council, especially in terms of managing information as Somkid is a thorough strategist," he said.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/Cabinet-reshuffle-coming-soon-PM-finally-concedes-30265369.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-07-28

"Have confidence in me. I am in charge. Why should there be confidence in other people? I am the leader and I order [the Cabinet members] to do their job," he said.

This is the biggest problem with this government. I am not sure how best to describe it, but there must be a name for a system of administration where one person orders everyone else what to think and do.

This is the biggest problem with this government. I am not sure how best to describe it, but there must be a name for a system of administration where one person orders everyone else what to think and do.

I think it's called a Military Potato Chip, or something like that ;-)

Must be very tiring working that hard and then going home to keep counting all that dosh in those bank books; plus the cash under the mattress of course !

Ask that (now not so) Permanent Secretary who a few years ago was robbed of 100 million to 1 billion he had stashed as cash at home.

"pointing out that the economic ministers were targeted for removal because people felt that the economy is bad without knowing the real causes of the economic problem." The problem is you and your financial team doesn't know the real cause

Absolutely, only (some) TVF members know the real cause and feel the need to offer their valuable advise free of charge.

PM promises cabinet overhaul

A few days ago he was "reshuffling" cabinet...now he's "overhauling" it.

When will he simply "get rid" of the bad apples?

Edited by Fullstop