Thailand won't feel downhearted by the downgrade - US TIP report

webfact

I have this feeling that the trafficking situation has actually remained the same horrible exploitation racket for many years, with no worsening or improvement. The reason the status has been lowered, along this line of consideration for US politics, is because the Obama administration wants to push through "Fast track" Transpacific Pacific Partnership trade treaties, and by accentuating how corrupt the existing conditions are in the region, it might induce Americans and others to want to "improve" the practice of trafficking and install more commercial industry with other corporate interests obtaining the old, trafficking routes and profits.

I have this feeling that the trafficking situation has actually remained the same horrible exploitation racket for many years, with no worsening or improvement. The reason the status has been lowered, along this line of consideration for US politics, is because the Obama administration wants to push through "Fast track" Transpacific Pacific Partnership trade treaties, and by accentuating how corrupt the existing conditions are in the region, it might induce Americans and others to want to "improve" the practice of trafficking and install more commercial industry with other corporate interests obtaining the old, trafficking routes and profits.

Blah blah blah... Loads of crap and BS. Thainess at its best. They will only understand when there will be an effective ban of fish, shrimps and all sea food from Thailand. Then only they will feel downhearted. Based on numerous reports and what we all know, Thailand should be blacklisted by all international chains. The other major problem is the World hypocrite attitude. Condemn but no action taken.

Thailand is the hub for modern slavery. Not only on fishing boats but also with Rohingyas and all illegal workers in Thailand.

I went to the U.S. Department of State website to see how the ratings were arrived at. I went back as far as 2001 and looked at every year since then. There was virtually no difference in the opening paragraph in every report. This is from 2001, seems a bit unfair to blame a one year government for a situation that has existed for at least 16 years.

Thailand (Tier 2)

Thailand is a destination, source, and transit country for trafficked persons. Victims are primarily young women and girls who are trafficked for sexual exploitation, although a significant number of men and women are trafficked for farm, industrial and domestic labor. The trafficking is both international and domestic. Persons from Burma, Cambodia, and Laos are the primary trafficked persons to Thailand. Within the country, trafficking is chiefly from the poor North and Northeast regions to Bangkok. Women are trafficked internationally to Japan, Taiwan, Australia, Europe, and the United States, chiefly for sexual exploitation and, to a lesser degree, sweatshop labor. Persons from China are trafficked through Thailand to a number of developed countries and more prosperous neighboring countries.

See the reports at http://www.state.gov/j/tip/rls/tiprpt/

Edited by ramrod711

The average Thai could not give a flying fig about the report

My guess is that you are very incorrect about that. There is a reason why the junta continues to black out countless news reports about the slave trade here in the LOS. They know how serious it is. It is a black eye on the entire country, it's culture, and it's people. Especially its leaders. So, the less news about it, the better as far as those leaders are concerned. I am sure many Thai people find the fishing industry here to be deplorable in its conduct. Sure, there are some Thais who are mostly concerned about getting by, but the ones who are a bit above the survival level are refined enough, and sensitive enough to consider this heinous behavior to be deeply embarrassing. Slave trading, in this day and age is about as low as it gets. Preying on other peoples misfortunes to make a buck is pretty sick behavior, and only very pathological maniacs, and deeply greedy men and women, without any perspective whatsoever, participate in it.