Thailand tourist arrivals keep on rising

webfact

And if you believe this, you will believe anything.

Just open your eyes and have a look around. There has definitely been less tourists here over the past year or so.

I'm not doubting the overall numbers but you are right in that you don't see them - unless you wander around arrivals and see the planeloads of Chinese tour groups being rushed out onto buses. The problem is that they simply don't spend as anyone in the industry will tell you. I was at the W on Samui a few days back and literally hundreds of tourists wandered in to the spectacular bar. Good for the hotel you might think - but not a single one bought anything. They took a few selfies with the view and then left.

Thailand's middle and high end tourist industry is a wreck, thanks mostly to the coup - the bottom end has a ton of people.

Yes those middle and high end tourists just loved it when the dysfunctional Shin regime was failing, or not trying, to keep law and order and random bombings, shootings and grenade lobbing were the order of the day.

That caused the wreck in the first place.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just open your eyes and have a look around. There has definitely been less tourists here over the past year or so.

I'm not doubting the overall numbers but you are right in that you don't see them - unless you wander around arrivals and see the planeloads of Chinese tour groups being rushed out onto buses. The problem is that they simply don't spend as anyone in the industry will tell you. I was at the W on Samui a few days back and literally hundreds of tourists wandered in to the spectacular bar. Good for the hotel you might think - but not a single one bought anything. They took a few selfies with the view and then left.

Thailand's middle and high end tourist industry is a wreck, thanks mostly to the coup - the bottom end has a ton of people.

Yes those middle and high end tourists just loved it when the dysfunctional Shin regime was failing, or not trying, to keep law and order and random bombings, shootings and grenade lobbing were the order of the day.

That caused the wreck in the first place.

No it didn't!

If there was no protest on the streets of Bangkok their wouldn't have been bombing, shooting and the like.

Up to your usual standards again!

Definitely a case of mathematical statistics, a proven liar in reality. Back in the early eighties one oil rig worker would spend 10 - 12 thousand dollars in one month, but what do we have now, busloads of tourists very often rude and ignorant, who have probably paid for their holiday in China or India, and spend as little here as humanly possible. Numbers are not everything !

You don't see these tourists, because they are packed like sardines into buses and chartered around the fringes of tourist destinations. In that regard, the Chinese are a lot better than the Russians were.

I must be living in another dimension?

The bars and business in this other place are on the bones of their ar$e$ and going to the wall left, right and center for lack of business (see paying Tourists and visitors)

Good to see the actual official figures show in reality all is Tickety Boo here in LOS blink.png

Edited by Lokie

Tourist numbers up by millions doesnt look like any are stopping over in Bangkok must be heading straight to Pattaya or the Islands That is probably because the drink ban as I said previously all the teetotal non-alcoholic drinkers will be flying over to catch the ban and have a good party time at Starbucks.

I had a pleasure to stay at Avani Atrium (previous Amari) 3 different times in the last month. This hotel is not exactly in tourist area. It is located on Petchaburi road relatively far from the nearest MRT station, however, every time I stayed there there were buses of Chinese tourists and the morning breakfast was a madhouse with Chinese and Indians misbehaving. I can say that this hotel is 95% packed which is quite a difference when comparing to Hotels in "touristy" areas where there is probably 25% occupancy, if that.

So yes, I think Chinese tourists are making a lot of money to local businessmen and I think the delusional "Farang" who thinks that he is somehow quality tourist that supports local small guy is gravely mistaken.

Thais are pulling a Wal Mart here and it works.

Obviously your "looking around" method is much more scientific and accurate.

Looking around may not be "scientific and accurate" but it sure beats bogus, manipulated numbers.

If you don't believe these tourist figures, then I suggest you pay a visit to Phuket Airport between 1am - 5am.

It is chockablock with Chinese tourists - typically a dozen scheduled (not charter) flights every night.

Phuket airport is in dire need of expansion. Terrible place

The new terminal should open next year - looks like a smaller version of Swampy.

Then there will be:

- New international terminal

- Old domestic terminal

- Terminal 2 (domestic?)

- Terminal X (charter)

I clicked on this article only because of the nice shot of an A330. As for the numbers... same-same drivel from TAT... *yawn* coffee1.gif

Actually the figures in the OP are from AoT not TAT. Not that that matters much because within 24 hours TAT will issue a press release trumpeting the huge increase in tourists using the same data. Remember TAT's mission goal is to issue as many press releases as possible regardless of the substance or accuracy.

Yet where are all these tourists? Previous posters here have said that the tourists are not in Pattaya or Samui. I don't think they are here in BKK either. I was in MBK and Central World this afternoon and both places were quiet. In MBK there were a few arabic speaking people and some scandahooligans but that was about it. Central World was virtually empty although I did notice from the BTS on the way into Siam that there were approx 12 tourist busses leaving Paragon, maybe Chinese on tour packages?

As Disraeli said 'lies, damn lies and statistics'

Maybe the Indians , Pakistni's and Bangladeshi's will be. able to rescue the faltering tourism industry. After all TAT has been pushing them this way............

Dream on White Boy Black Girl and wake up to a brand new day..................... Fantasy land but entertaining to say the least :)

These lies are not helping the Thai people. I talk to Thais and speak Thai STARVING the white falangs are the key.. The Asians spend stuff all. Cheapies and even bars not like them

There bus tour seat takers. Massage stops, Thailand was hurt by bad decisions via immigration officials and trying to mask the damage with Chinese and Koreans.

But its there dance so let the music roll :)

You may be looking in the wrong places for the wrong thing. Farang is not the typical tourist anymore and would not be surprised if their numbers are shrinking. However Asian Foreigners are coming in droves. Go to the malls or visit resorts and you will find them packed Chinese, Japanese, Malaysian and Koreans. I doubt combining UK, American and Australian arrivals even matches that of either China or Malaysia. Also would suspect Russian numbers are way down and they were the largest farang group to visit.

Am sure Thailand is happy to get visitors who spend from anywhere but they may be pleased with this. Farangs have a way of making the news here in ways not typically associated with holidaying.

You mean like accidentally being murdered, diving off balconies or ending up as 'roadkill'??

Yup

You may be looking in the wrong places for the wrong thing. Farang is not the typical tourist anymore and would not be surprised if their numbers are shrinking. However Asian Foreigners are coming in droves. Go to the malls or visit resorts and you will find them packed Chinese, Japanese, Malaysian and Koreans. I doubt combining UK, American and Australian arrivals even matches that of either China or Malaysia. Also would suspect Russian numbers are way down and they were the largest farang group to visit.

Am sure Thailand is happy to get visitors who spend from anywhere but they may be pleased with this. Farangs have a way of making the news here in ways not typically associated with holidaying.

You mean like accidentally being murdered, diving off balconies or ending up as 'roadkill'??

"Farangs have a way of making the news here in ways not typically associated with holidaying."

You have to give JTJ credit for getting people to "bite"! His next question to you will probably be to ask you for proof of any "accidental murders" or "people diving off balconies" or "roadkill", closely followed by his famous "conspiracy theory" line. And all because of a post about tourist figures apparently way up from the same period last year!

They have to say this or people will think twice about their holiday, it is the same as in the UK when they say we are going to have an Indian summer, and we don't, its because people will listen to that then book their holidays to the UK for the supposed Indian summer, If the UK said that the summer will be wet and cold and murky, then they would loose a lot of tourist revenue.

Russia has a basement economy, the Chinese economy is headed toward the basement,

USA says their economy is better with the fracking of oil stuff, but how long will that last, and if you seen the

USA housing situation, it has not improved much at all. Canada is now in a recession, I am not sure how Australia and

the southern countries are doing, but I suspect they are not in much better shape on the whole. TAT in Thailand

may say that times are good, but I have friends that live there full time and I have heard otherwise from

all over the country. Good luck TAT, but I think the will come out one day soon, it will be less rosy than

your latest story. I think that the Chinese, Japanese and other nearby countries will still come to Thailand

because it is cheap, and has nice beaches, good golfing, and better bargain in the malls and street vendors

than in China or Japan. I went to China on 2 tours and was surprised how much I paid for things made in

China, when I could get the same product cheaper in Thailand.

Edited by Stargrazer9889

"Farangs have a way of making the news here in ways not typically associated with holidaying."

You have to give JTJ credit for getting people to "bite"! His next question to you will probably be to ask you for proof of any "accidental murders" or "people diving off balconies" or "roadkill", closely followed by his famous "conspiracy theory" line. And all because of a post about tourist figures apparently way up from the same period last year!

Quite the imagination and projecting going on in your post.

Edited by JohnThailandJohn

Worldwide economy tries to recover.

Meanwhile, in Thailand situation is getting worse.

Thailand as a whole, and compared to neighboring countries, isn't cheap anymore.

The beaches could be found dirty.

The golf facilities are on the decline.

Items you find in the malls are more expensive than in Hong Kong, Singapore etc.

The main challenge for Thailand is competitiveness within the region and globally.

Quite the imagination and projecting going on in your post.

Yes, I am very surprised that all you had to say was "Yup"! Maybe it's your bedtime! Goodnight!