Thai government backpedals on booze ban

webfact

Bike Pedals in Both Directions, Gets You to Your Destination AND Back

Confused? Here’s how it works:

When pedaling in the forward direction, the bike acts as a normal bike does where top of the Crank Sprocket pulls the chain and the chain then pulls on the top of the Large Wheel Sprocket. This turns the rear wheel in the forward direction. The portion of the chain that wraps around the Small Wheel Sprocket is traveling in the backward (CCW) direction which doesn’t cause a problem because it is a freewheel, just like how you can pedal backwards on a bike while coasting forward. Since there are two different sized Wheel Sprockets, pedaling in the forward direction is the higher of the two gears.

When pedaling backwards the chain moves in the opposite direction. The bottom of the Crank Sprocket pulls the chain forward which in-turn pulls on the top of the Small Wheel Sprocket. This also turns the rear wheel in the forward direction. The portion of the chain that wraps around the Large Wheel Sprocket is now traveling in the backward (CCW) direction, and again doesn’t cause a problem because it is freewheel.

God is on the side of the big battalions.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

why not simply ban entry and the sale of alcohol in any establishment to younger than 18? The law is already there but is not enforced.

That would force the junta to rely on the BiB to actually do their jobs...

The problem is though, until they do force the `plebs in brown` to do their job properly, nothing will actually change.

How can hot air continually flow from the mouths of these kings of good ideas without addressing the key problem about upholding or policing laws??

Yet so many are so quick to state, `It`s not their fault, they inherited this` and `they are still better than ...` blah, blah ...

Sort the police force out, please.

(Rant over)

The authority is considering to amend the law to "manage" alcohol sales including online sales and delivery to prevent underage drinking./ Bangkok Post

Surely bringing senior offices to book for being involved with distribution, smuggling or even turning a paid, blind eye to the drug trade would be more prevalent for the younger ages.

Oh classic climbdown. Not even a public protest and they cave in

These guys don't even have a basic ability to understand human nature let alone Thai culture. They have a big stick like a feather duster. Why the reds don't protest God knows. What will they do?

Because it's much better to let people in the middle class anti-red camp figure out for themselves if this is what they wanted or not. (They'll get there eventually. smile.png ) Even The Nation of all places had a sensible commentary the other day. They're still too thick to realize they were cheerleading it all the way of course, but at least the quarter seems to be dropping in those echelons.

A (red) protest would be what the military REALLY wants.

I agree, but what would the army actually do? Lock up thousands?

As usual the junta-bashing gang are criticizing the present government for doing exactly the same as the previous government, and the one before that, and the one before that etc etc.

They really do suffer badly from foot-in-mouth disease. clap2.gif

Cracking down on something and then backpeddling is a Thai thing, regardless who is in power.

........................."A (red) protest would be what the military REALLY wants."...........................

I don't think the Military want that at all.

The reds are too gutless to play up while the military are in power anyway.

Oh classic climbdown. Not even a public protest and they cave in

And this is a govt hat's going to enforce a ban on fishing boat owners and operators, clean up the aviation industry etc ?

Better stick to locking up students, well until the whole student body gets uppity.

These guys don't even have a basic ability to understand human nature let alone Thai culture. They have a big stick like a feather duster. Why the reds don't protest God knows. What will they do?

Wait for them to understand that this govt is useless? They are utter numpties with guns

Your first paragraph asks a question.

Your second paragraph answers it.

They have the guns. 2010 tells the red shirts that they are prepared to use them.

Same same as a bunch of 2nd graders putting together a show by themselves. This "leaders" should be joining a stand up comedy club.

And this is the people in charge of the future of the young....<deleted>@k me Charlie, I can not dance.

Edited by CapeThai

If the current junta were smart, they'd spin this as 'allowing everyone to drink.' But they are not smart; they come nowhere near having a full brain between the whole group of them. A ban on alcohol in Bangkok, don't make me laugh.

why not simply ban entry and the sale of alcohol in any establishment to younger than 18? The law is already there but is not enforced.

A bar owner has to have both the integrity and the lack of greed, to be able to say I am going to refuse that 100 baht profit, by not selling to minors. It is the right thing to do. I do not need that extra 100 baht. I will follow the law. The police cannot be everywhere, all the time, and they are not particularly efficient anyway, as we all know. So, it is left to the bar owners and managers to give a damn, and behave like grown men.

• 2 weeks later...

First, Kudos for admitting it might have been a rash move implementing the Ban before thinking it through.

Have they chosen what schools? Elementary, Middle, High or University? After deciding which schools, I really don't think a bar near an Elementary school is even acknowledged by the students? Instead of just cutting out the only means of support a lot of these bar owners have, why not do something like this:

1) No bars can be open within 150 Meters of ANY school property before 6 pm. Bars withing this distance of a Dormitory can not open before 8 pm.

2) Bar Signage can be no larger than X by X size.

3) Bars within 150 Meters of a school must have a blacked out store front. No windows looking into the Bar, No Neon Signs, No open doors with out some kind of screen stopping students from Peering directly into the Bar.

4) ANY bar caught serving Minors will be fined 100,000 Baht per individual violation. 5 minors in the bar, 500,000 Baht. Bar can not re-open till Fine is paid. Sure the owner may be able to pay his way out of it, but with the official fine being so steep the cops would demand enough it wouldn't be worth the risk.

Of course there are Pro's and Con's to each suggestion, but something to be discussed and worked out.

just a thought.

All this confusion yet reports of the military out late night in Phuket enforcing the 300m ban ?

Right hand and left ?

And forth and back, and round n round we go. Where it lands nobody knows. And.... Why is the army involved in this particular enforcement? I smell a rat.

All this confusion yet reports of the military out late night in Phuket enforcing the 300m ban ?

Right hand and left ?

And forth and back, and round n round we go. Where it lands nobody knows. And.... Why is the army involved in this particular enforcement? I smell a rat.

Or an earner ?

Right hand and left ?

Or an earner ?