Maybe Buying A New Car

I am hopefully buying a car on Monday. I got my Bai Kup Kee 2 weeks ago. The Thai Driving License Office took my Original of the proof of address/residence letter from Soi Suan Ploo and kept it. Before they accepted it the clerk had asked for a Letter from my Embassy. After my wife queried her, she went away to ask her supervisor if she could accept the Letter from Immigration. He confirmed that the letter was adequate proof for their purposes. So, we left with a Driving License and minus the Letter.

When we booked the purchase of the new vehicle, a Toyota. the Salesman said they would also need a "a Letter from my Embassy". That would be in place of the Tattee-an-barn which a Thai would normally have to produce when registering a new vehicle. I had showed the Salesman a photocopy of the Original. So on Monday he is going to see if he can register the vehicle without an original.

On the Original in Thai, it states the letter is for the purpose of proving the address at which we reside and that it is OK for me to get Driving License and Buy a Car.

So we are wondering if we need to go back to Suan Ploo and get another original. That will be on Monday.

Toyota Thailand knew nothing about Letters from Suan Ploo confirming address of foreigners prior to our case. Just "Do you have a letter from your Embassy?"

Is there anywhere on the web in "Thai" which shows the Letter from Immigration is acceptable? I'd like to show them.

Good Guy!

Never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never buy a new car.

There is nothin in life that depreciates quicker (aside from a bar fine during Songkran) than a new car.

mmm, yes, but if you are going to keep it for a while it may be better to buy new. I have been looking alot and the cost difference between a new light truck and a 2nd hand one up to 3 years old seems to be minimal.

Although I've had a couple new ones, usually like to buy a 2 year old car. My wife says she would never buy used in Thailand because Thais are not good about maintanace and you never know if the car has been under water? :o

Sounds like the Toyota people do not know diddly squit.

The immigration letter is fine for buying a car.

After all, the registration is done with the same office as the driving licence.

However you will need a new letter for the car transaction.

The driving licence letter is in the driving licence files - not the same section.