Prior UK Marriage, divorced in Thailand - is marriage still registered in UK?

bbz404

Hi,

My fiancée was married to a French citizen in the UK. She got there with a marriage visa. After they split, she returned to Thailand. Her husband also moved to Thailand and settled with a new partner. Soon after, they filed for divorce in Thailand (according to her, it was done in Chaeng Watthana because that would be the only place for such a divorce to be done).

I have lived with her for a year now in Bangkok and we plan to get married at the beginning of next year. My questions regarding her divorce are:

- will the Thai divorce be recognized in the UK? I don't know whether or not the divorce was registered with UK authorities, she is checking with her ex-husband. Since I want to register the marriage later on at the French embassy, I want to make sure, that we will not run into trouble because it turns out she is still legally married in the UK.

To obtain the French "Certificate of marriage ability" for myself, I need to produce the divorce certificate and everything related. I hope that everything will go smoothly. This is already giving me a headache wink.png

Thanks for your replies.

All the best