Mandatory provision of data for Police's "Foreigners Database"

Hi there.

I've been staying in Isaan for a while at the wife's place. I've had no interaction at all with cops in the local 'District' until one called round, out of the blue, this morning "asking" me to complete an official "Foreigners Database" form - or so it's title says. ( I say "asking", when of course it's actually "telling"!)

And, even better, he added that the form needs to be completed - replete with a recent photo - and ready for collection later this very day!

As well as the curious urgency of this thing, I found it interesting how the cops already know where any and every Foreigner in their area is staying - even in the tiniest of villages!

The "Foreigners Database" form requires you to provide data you've already completed [multiple times] on an Arrivals Cards / Visa Applications .... but also expands that to require details of exactly where you're staying as well as information about your spouse, children and (oddly) parents and as well as details about stuff like Vehicles and things like Criminal Records and (oddly!) your "Talents" as well as details of (oddly!) any "Marks/Scars".

Anyway, since I'd never heard of this thing, I was wondering if anyone knows about this "Foreigners Database" and it's legal basis ... or otherwise.

As well as having to undergo the 90-day Address Verification process, are foreigners also mandated to officially notify local Police that they're staying in that region?

Thanks.

Never heard of a "Foreigners Database"

​Several years ago the local police asked me to register and it was a photo and finger prints. No form asking for the info you mentioned.

There is no requirement I know of to report you presence.

• Like 1

Which part of Isaan are you talking about?. I have never heard of anything like this before.

Yes they know where we all are, most of the time. blink.png

Thanks Jessi!!

This is in Yasothon Province.

I believe it's likely any government that wants to know about a particular person's info and location can find where that person is no matter where they are on the planet. It's only a matter of if a particular government wants to divulge their capabilities to determine that.

I offer the lost Malaysian flight when governments were sooo slow to offer up Their intel as an example.

I'll take the next flight, Please..

Edited by watcharacters
  • Like 2

One of my mates here in Nongki (Buriram Province) has also had a visit from local police and had to provide same info.

I just did it in Kap Choeng and they have been going about it in Surin. The police came by today and pu the forum which had been filled out by the wife. The forum was in Thai and English. There was no forum number and the questions were failure generic. Name in full , address , passport number, what were you here on and they did want a photo. At the top of the forum it did say Region 3 Police.

Edited by khwaibah
  • Like 1

In the past there have been mentions of the need for information to help identify foreigners if they ended up in hospital or dead after an accident. I notice there have been a few foreigners involved in accidents lately sadly and this may be where the scars etc comes in.

• Like 1