Water distiller in Bangkok

phompen

I have no idea where to buy a water distiller in Bangkok

it seems hard to find...

this is the same process used in hospitals to get a very pure water

you can see a picture of what is it here : (this model is manufactured in Taiwan)

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41pwdZcIEOL.jpg

so I can order on Internet, but the machine is a bit heavy so I prefer to find it in Bangkok if possible

the goal of that machine is very simple :

you put tap water in the tank, the water heat over 100°c, and become a gaz (water vapour in english ?)

it goes into a charcoal filter, and it fall into the big glass with a purity of 99.9%, it removes bacterias, heavy metals, and many other things...

in the tap water the TDS (total dissolved solids) are usually over 5000 mg/liter, after distillation process the TDS are under 20 mg/liter

in the Evian water the TDS are 309 mg/liter, in the Aura water it's not written on the label of the bottle (I guess they don't must to write it in Thailand)

It cost arround 200-250 us$, so you get a return over investment in arround 8 months for a 1 person and less for a familly (compared to bottled water)

it can process arround 4 gallon of water a day (17 liters)

the advantages :

- it's more pure than any bottled water

- no use of plastic

- more economical than bottled water on the long term

- you can theorically use rain water or sea water (they do it on industrial process in some countries)

an interresting article about this :

24 doctors with the courage to tell the truth about distilled water

http://www.infiniteunknown.net/2012/04/15/24-doctors-with-the-courage-to-tell-the-truth-about-distilled-water/

Why not use RO process? Unless distilled required for battery or such the RO process is much greener (much less electric) and will also remove salt (as from Bangkok water currently). We have found it very effective. I have below unit and at under 3,000 baht find it highly effective (although you have to DIY for assembly).

http://www.lazada.co.th/colandas-ro-50g-459200.html

yes reverse osmosis is interresting also, but be careful : if the filter is degraded by chlorine, you can get an important problem with bacterias developpement, so you need to change often the filter,

you don't have this problem with distilled water, you just need to change the charcoal from time to time (but the price is very very low), it also remove the salt, because distillation is also a process used to transform sea water into drinkable water

do you use a TDS meter to check your water ?

I use taste buds - water in Bangkok is certified for drinking but currently is often too salty due lack of rain - RO was actually developed for salt removal and I have high water pressure so appears to work good. Sure tastes good.

Recommendations I have seen on RO is one year for normal filters and 3 years for membrane material for home use - if commercial more often would be indicated - at any rate normal would be to change everything at same time. There is no obvious chlorine smell from water and it is tested at all locations in Bangkok real time so tightly controlled.

http://wqconline.mwa.co.th/wqc/OverviewMap.aspx?uiculture=en-US

FYI: I indeed had a distiller here some 30 plus years ago and did not like it for anything but coffee. And a lot of work keeping it operating and enough heat in the house without it running. Bought in US so had to also lose more electric and make more heat using transformer.

Why not use RO process? Unless distilled required for battery or such the RO process is much greener (much less electric) and will also remove salt (as from Bangkok water currently). We have found it very effective. I have below unit and at under 3,000 baht find it highly effective (although you have to DIY for assembly).

http://www.lazada.co.th/colandas-ro-50g-459200.html

are the filters readily available and easy to obtain?

thanks

Drinking distilled water can be positively injurious to health. The body needs the salts and minerals that are in water.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/372479-what-are-the-dangers-of-drinking-distilled-water/

http://www.mercola.com/article/water/distilled_water.htm

(It also tastes unpleasant.)

Dunno about the taste, but in terms of health, that is also what I had always understood as well.

That distilled water doesn't give your body the minerals that would normally be required. Thus not recommended as the main source of one's drinking water.

Actually do not find much bad taste - it adopts the taste of what is added very well in my experience. As for danger people have been drinking for at least 1,800 years but suspect like most things there are positives and negatives. The lack of minerals may be a mixed bag but am very sure we do not need added sodium; and most other chemicals and suspect for most our needs can be found in what we eat.

In looking around a bit, there does seem to be quite a debate online on the issue of the health benefits or risks of drinking distilled water.

At least for the arguments against it, they appear to be saying that it's not just that distilled water doesn't contain the normal minerals your body expects in water -- but rather -- that distilled water actually pulls needed minerals OUT of your body and excretes them through urine... supposedly through osmosis because the minerals in your body fluids get pulled to the distilled water fluids where there are none.

I seem to recall there being versions of distilled water sold for purity purposes in the U.S., but usually/often, those say they have trace amount of normal minerals added back for health reasons. There's no argument, AFACT, that distilling water also gets rid of all the various bad things that you don't water in your drinking water.

only plants can use inorganic minerals in the water, they are autotroph, while we can't get minerals this way, we are heterotroph, we cannot get minerals from the ground or the rivers

we get our minerals only from fruits or vegetables, or from an animal (who ate fruits and vegetables, or grass)

the bottled waters often write on the label "rich in calcium" or "rich in magnesium", but we cannot use these minerals, they are going directly to the toilet,

it's not false advertising, these waters are rich in calcium, but we cannot use it this way, and the water companies like the people don't understand that, because it's sold as a plus value...

actually in france the more sold bottled waters are the less mineralised waters (TDS < 100mg/liter)

these packs of waters are often sold out

the water we drink is not to mineralise us, but to clean our bodies, and the more TDS there are the less the cleaning is efficient,

it also means that if you are fat or obese and you begin to drink waters with very low TDS, your body will work a lot (detox) giving the feeling to be sick for a while,

so when you start to drink distilled water or reverse osmosed water it's better to mix with common bottled water for a while, the time for the body to adapt better to this change

only plants can use inorganic minerals in the water, they are autotroph, while we can't get minerals this way, we are heterotroph, we cannot get minerals from the ground or the rivers

we get our minerals only from fruits or vegetables, or from an animal (who ate fruits and vegetables, or grass)

the bottled waters often write on the label "rich in calcium" or "rich in magnesium", but we cannot use these minerals, they are going directly to the toilet,

it's not false advertising, these waters are rich in calcium, but we cannot use it this way, and the water companies like the people don't understand that, because it's sold as a plus value...

actually in france the more sold bottled waters are the less mineralised waters (TDS < 100mg/liter)

these packs of waters are often sold out

the water we drink is not to mineralise us, but to clean our bodies, and the more TDS there are the less the cleaning is efficient,

it also means that if you are fat or obese and you begin to drink waters with very low TDS, your body will work a lot (detox) giving the feeling to be sick for a while,

so when you start to drink distilled water or reverse osmosed water it's better to mix with common bottled water for a while, the time for the body to adapt better to this change

This is some of the most unscientific nonsense that I've read in a long time. I don't even know where to begin to critique it, so I won't.

However, if it were true, then there would be no problem consuming vast amounts of salt or (for that matter) cinnabar (mercury sulphide). Both are inorganic minerals.

Incidentally, common bottled water is reverse osmosed water, so that statement also appears to be gibberish.

yes it's scientific :

the plants are autotroph : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autotroph

the human and animals are heterotroph : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heterotroph

only the plants are able to transform inorganic minerals into organic minerals (the only one usable by us or animals)

this is the reason why we cannot eat some soil/ground (you can eat it, but the inorganic minerals would not be assimilated)

there is a difference between assimilation (nutrients usable by a cell) and unusable things that cross our body,

they are usually rejected thru urine or stools

the table salt is lightly toxic, and it is inorganic, so we cannot get our sodium this way, our sodium come from our food, not from the salt,

in fact the salt is only a way to get a salty taste in mouth, but it's bad for our kidneys

you can see what the salt do with cars always parked in front of the sea, they become older prematuraly (erosion in english ? it's corrosive)

why there are salt everywhere in the food of the supermarket ?

firstly because we are a bit addict to the salt, like the reffined sugar, and secondly because the brands who sell food, they also sell drinks,

if your food is more salty then you are more thirsty, and the sales of the soda and beverages are better

why we are thirsty when we eat some salt ?

because the salt is lightly toxic, then the body need a dilution with water to get a lightly less toxic substance

if one day you are intoxicated with something, you will see you will be probably extremly thirsty (but it depends what is the toxic substance)

the body use 3 ways to protect from toxicity : 1 - dilution with water, 2 - mix toxicity with minerals to produce a neutral product more easily manageable, 3 - use lipids/fat arround toxicity

so if the salt is lighly toxic, it should be like cigarettes and make some fatalities ?

yes it is the case, in France the abuse of salt make 100 dead per day, arround 36500 dead per year. (Source of this information : France 2, national tv channel)

if you compare to road fatalities it's only 4000 per year, so the salt kill 9 times more than the road

why TV don't talk often about the salt and prefer to talk about the road fatalities ?

because their income come from the industries (advertising) so if TV talk bad about the salt, they would get problem with advertisers of the food industry,

so TV prefer to talk about the road fatalities... TV can also talk bad about tabbaco because the tabbaco industries cannot do advertisement on TV (in France, but I think it's the same in many countries)

TV don't lie usually, they just have a partial point of view based on their income

yes a lot of bottled water are reverse osmosis, it's an interresting point, but you don't solve the problem of the plastic bottle, the recycling is very low (maybe 10%)

and also plastic usually contain endocrine disruptor (or endocrine perturbator ?) it's not very healthly even if the water inside is good when it's bottled

then home solutions are better, like reverse osmosis or distilled water, it also cost less on the long term period

while bottled water are practical when you are not at home

yes it's scientific :

the plants are autotroph : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autotroph

the human and animals are heterotroph : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heterotroph

only the plants are able to transform inorganic minerals into organic minerals (the only one usable by us or animals)

this is the reason why we cannot eat some soil/ground (you can eat it, but the inorganic minerals would not be assimilated)

Did you both reading the first sentence of the heterotroph article you linked to? It reads:

"A heterotroph... is an organism that cannot fix carbon and uses organic carbon for growth."

Absolutely nothing to do with transforming inorganic minerals into organic minerals.

As I wrote before, this is some of the most unscientific nonsense that I've read in a long time.

In looking around a bit, there does seem to be quite a debate online on the issue of the health benefits or risks of drinking distilled water.

At least for the arguments against it, they appear to be saying that it's not just that distilled water doesn't contain the normal minerals your body expects in water -- but rather -- that distilled water actually pulls needed minerals OUT of your body and excretes them through urine... supposedly through osmosis because the minerals in your body fluids get pulled to the distilled water fluids where there are none.

I seem to recall there being versions of distilled water sold for purity purposes in the U.S., but usually/often, those say they have trace amount of normal minerals added back for health reasons. There's no argument, AFACT, that distilling water also gets rid of all the various bad things that you don't water in your drinking water.

I think you are better off drinking good quality spring water if you can find it or RO water rather than distilled water for the same reasons mentioned in the above post.

"A heterotroph... is an organism that cannot fix carbon and uses organic carbon for growth."

Absolutely nothing to do with transforming inorganic minerals into organic minerals.

autotroph : do not need a living source of energy or organic carbon (source : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autotroph )

the plants can use minerals in the ground/soil and in the water

the humans and animals cannot use minerals in the ground/soil and in the water

(excepted if this water contain phytoplancton, like sea water, because phytoplancton has transformed the inorganic minerals into organic minerals before)

humans and animals to get organic minerals need to eat some vegetables (or animals who ate vegetables)

the water we drink is not to get minerals, but to clean our bodies,

the less minerals is the better, more minerals means more work for our bodies to reject these unusable minerals

"Inorganic minerals are picked up as the water supply runs through the ground. These inorganic, or non-living, minerals cannot be utilized by humans or animals. However, plants can. And, they are the organisms that turn them into the organic minerals we can use through photosynthesis. But, the inorganic minerals that pass into our drinking water cannot help us and can in fact, harm us."

source : http://www.freedrinkingwater.com/water-education3/25-water-organic-inorganic-minerals-page2.htm

asking for a lot of trouble distilled water is not safe to drink,

i believe it has no taste, therefore tastes unpleasant .......

Drinking distilled water can be positively injurious to health. The body needs the salts and minerals that are in water.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/372479-what-are-the-dangers-of-drinking-distilled-water/

http://www.mercola.com/article/water/distilled_water.htm

(It also tastes unpleasant.)

• 2 weeks later...

Suspect distilling is confined to upcountry ladies making various drinks with an alcoholic content.

As for RO an update as measured the filtration today at about 92% using filter in post 8 - tap water was quite good at 155ppm TDS but the filtered water was only 13ppm using below meter.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/291410058187?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&var=590512740930&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

• 1 year later...
  • 11 months later...

Distilled water is PURE water! FACT! Distilled water has an opposite charge ( - + ) which draws out ALL ( in-organic ) minerals ect from the body's water.  The body cannot process "in-Organic and distillation leaves you with ONLY organic minerals which your body can assimilate. Plants take in in-organic minerals and salts and transform then through photo synthesis into organic mineral compounds that your body needs. 

Plants as in vegetables and fruits ALL transform ground, spring, mineral water into distilled water through photo synthesis.