Lumpini Apartments-Naklua

toenail

A friend who is looking for an apartment to rent for 6 months (or more) asked me about the new Lumpini Apartments on Naklua street. So today I went and checked them out for him.(Gives me an impression of a government apartment in the States. (They are brand new, aimed for the long term tourist or retired farang that wanted something basic, not fancy. Unfortunately the Russian market is not active at the time so by the time the apartments were finished, the Russian buyer disappeared (again, my opinion). I was very impressed with the landscaping, the security, the small basic one bedroom apartment rooms...but I was not impressed with the two rental agents who were very lethargic and unmotivated. (I understand they work long hours and deal with many visitors that just look and are not serioius.) So, the rental price is good, everything is brand new, the pool is nice, good location for him to but one has to put down a three month deposit plus the first months rent. (my experience is one or two months) How will he be guaranteed that he will get the 3 month deposit back after one year and he leaves the place in top shape? MY experience with two apartment owners (from BKK) is that they make up excusses to keep the deposit or part of it. And since the Lumpini real estate rental girls did not understand English and not very well trained, are there any issues there with people who are renting there? Just thought I would ask on this forum to hear from any one that has first hand info. Thanks.

Normally a rental contract is drawn up with a list of dos and donts in english and thai and if your happy you sign it.

3 months rent in advance seems rather strange i would be asking why and point out normal practice, if there struggling to get tenants you may stand a good chance of getting it down to one, id certainly be going over these girls head so to speak, property agents in AU are probably the lowest form of human that exists and the thai ones ive come across arent much better though the difference is training.

I work away from home on contracts here in the USA and experience has taught me to be very careful and to avoid any place that wants too much security deposit money. I understand their concerns, but I have never had a corporate place behave properly when it comes to deposits. Even way back in college we had issues. I have been to small claims court three times and I have won every time. I don't trash places, but the units almost always try to keep money. One landlord of a house I sub rented said "I am not a hotel" and wanted two months of deposit. I said yes you are. If I was moving here I would buy. I am here temporarily and to me your are a hotel, that just happens to look like a house. He agreed and changed the lease terms. In Thailand I rented one place for two months once with a one month deposit. When I left the guy came back with the money and looked so miserable, as if I had just taken his last baht! He came back with lots of small bills, as if he had gotten his last sock money. As another poster said, vote with your feet.

1 or 2 months is the norm. Deposits are exactly that a deposit to cover damage, unpaid rent and utilities. How much is the apartment? An example would be a condo for rent at 12K so a 1 month deposit would hardly cover anything. Most have TVs that are worth at least that so add on damage unpaid utilities etc its understandably that 3 months may be required as there are many that do runners and have no respect for others property. Lumpini are probably one of the best developers when it comes to maintenance and doing what they say so I wouldn't be too bothered that he will loose it through them. If hes not happy then as said look elsewhere that only requires 1 month.