Cecil the lion: US dentist Walter Palmer rarely discussed hunting with patients

webfact

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What about the fact this man's dental patients aren't getting seen whilst he's in hiding? It seems sentimentality for a wild animal is more important that the practical needs of human beings.

Its a free market in the USA so we keep getting told, guess they can go find another dentist who isn't a psycho.

After all this piblicity I wonder how many patients he has lost for ever?

The man paid 50,000 dollars to get permission to hunt and kill a lion in Zimbabwe, plus he had to pay and be accompanied by a professional liscensed hunting guide who is present to insure the hunt is conducted legally and hopefully succesful. Palmer uses a cross bow for his hunts for the kill. In this case he only wounded the critter thus the trackdown and subsquent shooting of the lion to put it out of its misery. The lion was reported to be 13 years of age which is longer than most male lions live in the wild. he was past prime and a younger male or two were waiting to drive him out and take over the pride.

The baiting of feline prey in big game hunting is not uncommon nor illegal in most countries. The dentist is a trophy hunter judging by the press and the photo of the rino he had taken, also with a crossbow. The report of a night hunt does not sound right, either poor reporting or mis information being delibertly put out. When you hunt a baited cat, its done from a ''hide'' with the bait hung to bring the cat into range/view. Normal feeding time for lion, etc is dawn and dusk thus that is normal shooting time, Baiting and using a vehicle (spotlighting) for nightime hunting/poaching are not done together.and the latter is illegal.

I know quite a number of big game hunters who hunt in Africa and some parts of noth america and those i have dealt with are true sportsmen. My dealing with them was commercial as they favored larger bore (470 caliber as an example,) double rifles, which I had access to and would sell for the right price.

" i have dealt with are true sportsmen"

What's the difference between killing a lion (or ANY other animal) by a "true" sportsman and an amateur sportsman?

Any special method of justification?

What about the fact this man's dental patients aren't getting seen whilst he's in hiding? It seems sentimentality for a wild animal is more important that the practical needs of human beings.

Same would be the fate of his patients if he killed a human being - should be be forgiven for the sake of the suffering beings?

Stapelkamp, unsure of the details of Cecil's killing, described the usual tactics of hunters to draw an animal onto private land and out of the park where it is protected. The two areas are separated by a railway line. Hunters shoot a zebra or giraffe and hang it on a tree; the main bait. They then drag the intestines of that animal, "something that really smells," Stapelkamp said, up and down the park boundary behind a vehicle. Sometimes they'll even play the sounds of a dying buffalo over a loudspeaker to attract a lion.
The lion "comes across that scent trail and it leads him straight to this bait," Stapelkamp said. "It rushes in for a free meal and they're waiting ... and they kill him like that."

What sort of fun and sport is this?

If this man killed this lion illegally then he should be charged. He should not lose his job, be hounded until driven into hiding, receive death threats nor should his family be brought into all this. But this is mob rule, trial by social media, and who cares about illegal poaching because the vast majority of people sending death threats, hounding this man and his family couldn't give a toss about that. They didn't before this lion was killed.

Same would be the fate of his patients if he killed a human being - should be be forgiven for the sake of the suffering beings?

I dislike the “moral outrage” that lifts animals up above humans on the moral plane

I dislike the “moral outrage” that lifts animals up above humans on the moral plane

Unfortunately it is the humans that have no moral today - while the animals behaviour is the same, unchanged.

Hence, how can one set a standard to a 'moral plane' with the human's standards of today?

Unfortunately it is the humans that have no moral today - while the animals behaviour is the same, unchanged.

Hence, how can one set a standard to a 'moral plane' with the human's standards of today?

That may be so, but I will never support mob rule and that's precisely what this campaign is about.

Why? Animals can be far mor noble than human scum.

I wouldn't worry too much about this dentist. He can always work as an NRA lobbyist. whistling.gif

Is that right?

You suppose he's got a job left after this outpouring of vitrol?

btw, the lion's brother or cousin or whatever was not killed no matter what CNN might have told you.

Edited by Boon Mee

I hate to break it to those who have joined the outraged mob, but even on the issue of animal welfare there are far worse abuses occurring within the legal limits of our system of meat production. In the wild, animals regularly experience slow and lingering deaths.

I hate to break it to those who have joined the outraged mob, but even on the issue of animal welfare there are far worse abuses occurring within the legal limits of our system of meat production. In the wild, animals regularly experience slow and lingering deaths.

You don't really get it do you?

The issue is that this excuse for a man actually got pleasure from torturing and killing a poor animal.

Sickening.

I for one hope his career is ruined.

A despicable human being.

The issue is that this excuse for a man actually got pleasure from torturing and killing a poor animal.

Sickening.

No I get it, this kind of mob justice now appears to have been adopted by the social justice warriors of the left. Mr. Palmer is an ideal target though, white, male, rich and American.

Sickening.

I don't think it's only the dentist pictured in this link.

https://www.google.com/search?q=hunting+safaris&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAWoVChMI3Imo2OGKxwIVEAeOCh3hOgEI&biw=1536&bih=719#imgrc=_

Sickening.

No I get it, this kind of mob justice now appears to have been adopted by the social justice warriors of the left. Mr. Palmer is an ideal target though, white, male, rich and American.

Nothing to do with left or right or white or black or rich or poor or American.

Purely to do with right or wrong.

And this moron was wrong.

Would have been just as wrong if a poor black British female.

The man is no good. Simple as that.

Getting a kick by enforcing suffering on a living thing is sick.

That man needs help as he is sick.

No normal person would disagree.

Sickening.

Nothing to do with left or right or white or black or rich or poor or American.

Purely to do with right or wrong.

And this moron was wrong.

Would have been just as wrong if a poor black British female.

The man is no good. Simple as that.

Getting a kick by enforcing suffering on a living thing is sick.

That man needs help as he is sick.

No normal person would disagree.

I will never support mob rule and that's precisely what this campaign is about.No society which values due process of the law can abide these kinds of witch hunt based purely on sentiment.

As you refuse to reply to my points I can only assume that you support torture and killing of all wildlife.
That doesn't say much about you does it.

I won't be responding anymore as it is pretty clear that I have proved my point. thumbsup.gif
I love to be proved correct.smile.png

As you refuse to reply to my points I can only assume that you support torture and killing of all wildlife.

I won't be responding anymore as it is pretty clear that I have proved my point. thumbsup.gif

If it is legal, I have no problem with the killing of wildlife, as for torture, no, I do not support it, but there was no torture involved in the killing of the animal, so it’s not relevant.

But hey no need to respond you have already proved your point and I’m sure, in a week or two you'll care more about something else that tugs at your heartstrings.

Edited by stander

If it is legal, I have no problem with the killing of wildlife, as for torture, no, I do not support it, but there was no torture involved in the killing of the animal, so it’s not irrelevant.

But hey no need to respond you have already proved your point and I’m sure, in a week or two you'll care more about something else that tugs at your heartstrings.

So to shoot it with a bow and arrow then hunt it for 40 hours before finally killing the animal, that's not a form of torture!

And you're correct many people will be thinking of other things in a week or so, it's the nature of humans to get on with life!

I don't do it but I have no real problem with people that hunt plentiful animals for food (obviously there is some measure of dominance in the action) because they are at least not killing endangered animals and use the meat. Trophy hunting just because you can is abhorrent.

I don’t know why this lion achieved such pop star status, was he cuddlier than the others, had a nice name, and was old or something? But big game hunting will continue and in a week or two the lynch mob will care more about something else that tugs at their heartstrings.

"Cecil was the ultimate lion," says Brent Stapelkamp, a field researcher with Oxford University's Wildlife Conservation Research Unit (WildCRU), who knew Cecil perhaps better than anyone else."

"He was everything that a lion represents to us as humans," Stapelkamp says. "He was large, powerful, but regal at the same time."

Apparently Walter the dentist, didn't know Cecil was a major tourist attraction when the trackers he hired lured Cecil out of Zimbabwe's famous Hwange National Park.

Shame on you Walter, and now Mr. Stander, you know the rest of the story.

After reading so many posts about the issue with Cecil, a very simple human trait was proven.

Each human has his/her own opinion and accordingly he/she will defend and justify what they comprehend.

Hence, any act will be justified by one set of humans while another set will condemn that act vehemently.

Isn't this the reason that this world is in such a pathetic state as this?

The more rich, the more powerful the beings are; their views tend to dominate.

Today, as human beings, should not we be ashamed of ourselves?

I dont know why this lion achieved such pop star status, was he cuddlier than the others, had a nice name, and was old or something? But big game hunting will continue and in a week or two the lynch mob will care more about something else that tugs at their heartstrings.

"Cecil was the ultimate lion," says Brent Stapelkamp, a field researcher with Oxford University's[/size] Wildlife Conservation Research Unit (WildCRU), who knew Cecil perhaps better than anyone else."[/size]

"He was everything that a lion represents to us as humans," Stapelkamp says. "He was large, powerful, but regal at the same time." [/size]

Apparently Walter the dentist, didn't know Cecil was a major tourist attraction when the trackers he hired lured Cecil out of Zimbabwe's famous Hwange National Park. [/size]

Shame on you Walter, and now Mr. Stander, you know the rest of the story.[/size]

[/size]

I dont care, I only scan read the articles, I care more about the man and his family who is suffering trial by social media, hounded, driven into hiding and receiving death threats

I dont know why this lion achieved such pop star status, was he cuddlier than the others, had a nice name, and was old or something? But big game hunting will continue and in a week or two the lynch mob will care more about something else that tugs at their heartstrings.

"Cecil was the ultimate lion," says Brent Stapelkamp, a field researcher with Oxford University's[/size] Wildlife Conservation Research Unit (WildCRU), who knew Cecil perhaps better than anyone else."[/size]

"He was everything that a lion represents to us as humans," Stapelkamp says. "He was large, powerful, but regal at the same time." [/size]

Apparently Walter the dentist, didn't know Cecil was a major tourist attraction when the trackers he hired lured Cecil out of Zimbabwe's famous Hwange National Park. [/size]

Shame on you Walter, and now Mr. Stander, you know the rest of the story.[/size]

[/size]

I dont care, I only scan read the articles, I care more about the man and his family who is suffering trial by social media, hounded, driven into hiding and receiving death threats

Why? As you have already said it will all have blown over in a week or two, we will all have forgotten about it and be discussing the amazingly funny cute pussycat video on YouTube!!!