Australian Aged Pension and Marrying

apidge

I have been told that a person on the australian aged penson will have have thier pension cut by half if they marry in thailand. Has anybody had experience with this. I have not told centrelink that i am living here full time and i go back after 11 months each time.

I have been to the embassy and done the necessary paperwork to marry but have not as yet been married.

Can anybody let me know thier experiences please

OP: From the sounds of it you have a Portable Age Pension as Centrelink would know your exit / entry history. As an example my wife is currently receiving Newstart, for which payment was automatically stopped the day she departed Oz and restarted the day she reentered.

As a married person, subject to the assets test, your individual Age Pension fortnightly maximum rate, excluding supplements would be $589.60, even if your future wife does not have an income.

http://www.humanservices.gov.au/customer/enablers/centrelink/age-pension/payment-rates-for-age-pension

Basically a non eligible person is someone who doesn't have Australian residency / does not meet the criteria for receiving Centrelink benefits.

Hope you don't have to Pay Back some of what you've been getting above the $589.60 mentioned above.

They reduce the Maximum amount after you are away from Oz for 13 weeks and then a further reduction takes place after 26 Weeks, bringing it down to the above amount mentioned by "simple 1"

My wife is Thai and we were married in Australia. She gets ZIP and we have a teenage school going daughter, no allowances for her either, so Best of luck !!!

Should mention wife is not old enough for the Aged Pension. I had not retired when we married and was working and paying high Income Tax at the time. Had Private Health Insurance but wife and our daughter were eligible for Medicare. All of that stops of course once you leave Oz.

The biggest pain however, are the TWO Reductions at 13 and 26 weeks...most unfair !

Should mention wife is not old enough for the Aged Pension. I had not retired when we married and was working and paying high Income Tax at the time. Had Private Health Insurance but wife and our daughter were eligible for Medicare. All of that stops of course once you leave Oz.

The biggest pain however, are the TWO Reductions at 13 and 26 weeks...most unfair !

In the 2015 budget new legislation was proposed to reduce the current 'reduction' periods to two weeks, commencement date will be either 01/01/2016 or 01/07/2016. Given the current political climate highly likely will be passed.

Remember that for Australia any two people living together (regardless of sex) can be considered to be in a relationship and subject to the reduction. The fact the other partner is not working has no signifigence unless the partner is and recieves more than a certain amount and yours may then be further reduced.

My Experience:

Once you qualify for the pension, a number of things come into play:

1. How long did you work in Australia?
  2. ANSWER(S) The Abbott Govt. changed the rules. Previously you could collect the pension (indexed for life) anywhere in the world, providing you had worked in OZ for 25 years or longer. NOW you must have worked 35 years or longer, for this to happen.
  1. I get $608.87 per fortnight AFTER three months outside Australia. I am married to a Thai (17yrs). When I return to Australia they add $34.00 P/F AUTOMATICALLY. I get the single rate. I do NOT know and CANNOT answer why anyone gets any different.
  1. You can get your pension paid to any bank of your choice in ANY country. NO FEES are taken from your pension in Australia, HOWEVER, your overseas bank MAY charge a receiving fee.
  2. You can get the reserve bank exchange rate. SO, you should stipulate "BAHT" as the currency of transfer - the rates can be seen here http://bit.ly/1JzL4AM
  3. You will be paid MONTHLY - NOT Fortnightly.
  1. You cannot (and should not) hide anything from them, they know your movements EVERYWHERE.
  2. You need to contact Cenrelink Hobart to arrange all this.
  3. They deal "by the book" and have no autonomy to refuse you as long as you are honest and follow the rules. The ONLY time people get into trouble is when they try to cheat. There are dozens of "checks and balances"
  4. YOU HAVE NOTHING TO FEAR SETTING THIS UP
  5. You have EVERYTHING to gain, getting Thai Baht sent directly to your account at the BEST rate possible.

Hope it helps someone

Mal

My Experience:

2. ANSWER(S) The Abbott Govt. changed the rules. Previously you could collect the pension (indexed for life) anywhere in the world, providing you had worked in OZ for 25 years or longer. NOW you must have worked 35 years or longer, for this to happen.
  1. I get $608.87 per fortnight AFTER three months outside Australia. I am married to a Thai (17yrs). When I return to Australia they add $34.00 P/F AUTOMATICALLY. I get the single rate. I do NOT know and CANNOT answer why anyone gets any different.
  1. You can get your pension paid to any bank of your choice in ANY country. NO FEES are taken from your pension in Australia, HOWEVER, your overseas bank MAY charge a receiving fee.
  2. You can get the reserve bank exchange rate. SO, you should stipulate "BAHT" as the currency of transfer - the rates can be seen here http://bit.ly/1JzL4AM
  1. You cannot (and should not) hide anything from them, they know your movements EVERYWHERE.
  3. They deal "by the book" and have no autonomy to refuse you as long as you are honest and follow the rules. The ONLY time people get into trouble is when they try to cheat. There are dozens of "checks and balances"
  5. You have EVERYTHING to gain, getting Thai Baht sent directly to your account at the BEST rate possible.

Hope it helps someone

Mal

Mal I see you are getting the one partner of a couple eligible rate of $15701.4 pa.

if you were living on your own you would get $20768.80pa or 798.80 a fortnight.

I have appended the table below but cannot format it

read the original.

Read http://www.humanservices.gov.au/spw/customer/publications/resources/int001/int001-1410.pdf

Which is important reading for all australian pensioners here.

Outside Australia Pension Rates

and Thresholds SINGLE COUPLE

both eligible COUPLE

one eligible partner COUPLE separated due to ill health

How much pension1, 2, 3 Per year Per year Per year Per year each

Maximum basic rate A$ 20,194.20 A$ 30,446.00 A$ 15,223.00 A$ 20,194.20

Basic Pension Supplement A$ 574.60 A$ 956.80 A$ 478.40 A$ 574.60

Total A$ 20,768.80 A$ 31,402.80 A$ 15,701.40 A$ 20,768.80

Allowable Income4 Per year Combined Combined Combined

Full pension up to

A$ 4,160.00 up to

A$ 7,384.00 up to

A$ 7,384.00 up to

A$ 7,384.00

Part pension less than A$ 45,697.60 less than A$ 70,189.60 less than A$ 70,189.60 less than A$ 90,459.20

Allowable Assets5 Single Combined Combined Combined

Full pension—

Homeowner A$ 202,000.00 A$ 286,500.00 A$ 286,500.00 A$ 286,500.00

Full pension—

Non-homeowner A$ 348,500.00 A$ 433,000.00 A$ 433,000.00 A$ 433,000.00

Part pension—

Homeowner less than A$ 734,750.00 less than A$ 1,092,000.00 less than A$ 1,092,000.00 less than A$ 1,352,000.00

Part pension—

Non-homeowner less than A$ 881,250.00 less than A$ 1,238,500.00 less than A$ 1,238,500.00 less than A$ 1,498,500.00

Deeming Rates

and Thresholds Single Combined Combined Combined

Threshold A$ 48,000.00 A$ 79,600.00 A$ 79,600.00 A$ 79,600.00

Rate below threshold 2% 2% 2% 2%

Rate above threshold 3.5% 3.5% 3.5% 3.5%

These rates apply to customers who are permanently outside Australia or absent from Australia for longer than six weeks.

1. The rate of payment is calculated under both the income and assets tests. The test that results in the lower rate or nil rate is applied. Some assets are deemed to earn income and there are special rules for other types of income. There is no income or assets test for customers who are permanently blind.

My Experience:

Hope it helps someone

Mal

Last monthly half married rate was 33,470 Baht.

Wife owns her own home and we do not drink (alcohol) or smoke... We actually SAVE more than half in an average month. Eat out often and generally enjoy life.

Be nice if the Aussie went up to last few years rates, but I guess we must wait for the Chinese "rebound" for this to happen. Best we got was 42,300 for the month.. The year before was even better...

Mal

If you were not living together you would get more like 40000. As said before people have to be aware that if they get married they get less.

Thanks for the reply Harry,

Know what you are saying.....

However, as long as there is breath in my lungs, I will stay by my wife's side. 17 yrs and still my beautiful bride....

Mal

If you were not living together you would get more like 40000. As said before people have to be aware that if they get married they get less.

However, as long as there is breath in my lungs, I will stay by my wife's side. 17 yrs and still my beautiful bride....

Mal

As you should....

You and she are together and I am sure it will take more than bad policy to break you up. I hope in another 17 years I am here to say the same to you.

Mal

As you should....

You and she are together and I am sure it will take more than bad policy to break you up. I hope in another 17 years I am here to say the same to you.

Hope so too mate... Now where is that alarm clock biggrin.png

It appears that T Abbott & Co are bigger a...holes than anticipated.

Stay in Oz for 2 years if you are not already on OAP.

Marry IN OZ? Sure?

Less OAP if married to an ineligible person.

If a non-resident, lower tax threshold=more tax.

What hurts is that those already on OAP have all.

3 cheers for Tony.

I do not receive the OAP. If my assets drop sufficiently, do I get to stay at the Salvos or The Lodge?

In the 2015 budget new legislation was proposed to reduce the current 'reduction' periods to two weeks, commencement date will be either 01/01/2016 or 01/07/2016. Given the current political climate highly likely will be passed.

Someone with a better command of English than me needs to poke holes in this stupidity. If a "retiree" FULLY QUALIFIED for full portable pension. Worked all their life etc.. (Like me for example). Chooses to live in another country that "old fart" will actually save Australia money in countless ways.

The Pension should be 20% HIGHER if you OPT to remain in another country for (SAY) 6 Months - 1 year or longer. When they return it goes down again.

We should be ENCOURAGING old people to leave not stay there and chew up countless resources. E.G.. Seniors Card both state and federal - we DO NOT draw the financial benefits (therefore costs to taxpayers) when we reside overseas. There must be a ton of other perks we dont use???

Wish I had the talent to write up the argument because I am sure it is more cost effective to ENCOURAGE living overseas than PUNISHING those that choose to do so.

Anyhow back to boring "reality"......

• 3 months later...

Not to rain on anyone's parade but the OZ age pension is not subject to reduction after 6 or 13 weeks, all other pensions are and some will stop as they have not paid taxes on that type of pension , lets say an invalid pension , you must now have paid taxes for 35 years to receive the full amount , you will lose your supplements , like electricity and rent allowance if you claim for these, that's my experience. ...................................coffee1.gif

Not to rain on anyone's parade but the OZ age pension is not subject to reduction after 6 or 13 weeks, all other pensions are and some will stop as they have not paid taxes on that type of pension , lets say an invalid pension , you must now have paid taxes for 35 years to receive the full amount , you will lose your supplements , like electricity and rent allowance if you claim for these, that's my experience. ...................................coffee1.gif

THe supplements will and do stop on the age pension. They were an integral part of the pension and now mean about a 20% reduction if you leave australia.

if you have 30/35 years working life you are entitled to the full pension,means tested,around about 857 dollars a fortnight single,[married 657 a fortnight married with one partner ineligible.]

ineligible meaning not of pensionable age or non citizen. if you reside in thailand you will lose about 67 dollars a fortnight,the extras paid for phone,electricity ect. i f you tell them you are married you will lose the extras plus 200 a fortnight. this is based on their theory that two can live more cheaply than one. i've been all through this and all appeals excepting the federal court. my only way to access the single rate of pay was divorce.

if you have 30/35 years working life you are entitled to the full pension,means tested,around about 857 dollars a fortnight single,[married 657 a fortnight married with one partner ineligible.]

ineligible meaning not of pensionable age or non citizen. if you reside in thailand you will lose about 67 dollars a fortnight,the extras paid for phone,electricity ect. i f you tell them you are married you will lose the extras plus 200 a fortnight. this is based on their theory that two can live more cheaply than one. i've been all through this and all appeals excepting the federal court. my only way to access the single rate of pay was divorce.

I'm 52 years old. I've lived in Thailand for 1 year and haven't returned to a Australia. I guess I will return at some point for a holiday but essentially plan is I live here forever. Just for clarity....your saying in 13 years time (in the unlikely event the rules dont change) I can return to Australia for a few weeks and organize them to send me a reduced pension to my Thai bank account? Sorry, not questioning your integrity it's just that I was 100% sure non resident = no pension

Jeez, I'm sick of Australians here complaining about this and that re your pensions.

What you are is a "low class" drain on our economy. I'm early 40's and have accrued enough now where I will never qualify for the pension.

It angers me to know my tax dollars are funding old dudes here that never really made it at home financially. I really wish you'd all piss off back to Aus and keep working.

well bully for you.dont come whingeing and moaning and asking questions about the aged pension when you need it in 23 years cos there wont be a pension to get,and while you smugly tell us that you've already got enough to take care of yourself,just remember the gains you've made can easily go tits up,through no fault of your own.

I'm 52 years old. I've lived in Thailand for 1 year and haven't returned to a Australia. I guess I will return at some point for a holiday but essentially plan is I live here forever. Just for clarity....your saying in 13 years time (in the unlikely event the rules dont change) I can return to Australia for a few weeks and organize them to send me a reduced pension to my Thai bank account? Sorry, not questioning your integrity it's just that I was 100% sure non resident = no pension

you have to be resident in australia for 2 years b4 you can claim,you'd have to return when 63.

you have to be resident in australia for 2 years b4 you can claim,you'd have to return when 63.

not quite correct.You have to live back in OZ for a period of 2 years but if you return at age 65 or over and apply for the aged pension you will receive payment straight away,although the first payment may take 3 months to get.

Jeez, I'm sick of Australians here complaining about this and that re your pensions.

What you are is a "low class" drain on our economy. I'm early 40's and have accrued enough now where I will never qualify for the pension.

It angers me to know my tax dollars are funding old dudes here that never really made it at home financially. I really wish you'd all piss off back to Aus and keep working.

us old dudes built the economy you enjoy,we never had super nor lurks and perks our only reward was the pension,we also fought wars for smart <deleted> like yourself.if you don't like it don't read this forum

Archived