Suthep's reform foundation gets a mixed response from observers

webfact

Suthep's reform foundation gets a mixed response from observers
KASAMAKORN CHANWANPEN
THE NATION

30265589-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- FORMER protest leader Suthep Thaugsuban's announcement about a reform foundation has drawn varying reactions from politicians and reformers.

Alongkorn Ponlaboot, a former member of the Democrat Party and a current member of the National Reform Council (NRC), said the launch of the People's Democratic Reform Foundation chaired by Suthep was a "positive sign" for the national reform process.

Yesterday, after Suthep and other People's Democratic Reform Committee (PDRC) members held a press conference concerning the foundation, which would focus on driving the so-called reform, Alongkorn told The Nation, "overall, the approach is constructive.

"They have approaches that are in accordance with the blueprint of the NRC, especially on political reform," he said.

"The NRC's blueprint lays emphasis on reform of political parties and their system. I'm happy that Suthep also spoken about such reform. It is the right approach," he said.

He said he hoped the United Front for Democracy Against Dictatorship (UDD) would come up with a similar approach that is in the interests of democracy as well as national interests because both groups are crucial dynamic forces that could drive national reform.

However, Weng Tojirakarn, a red-shirt figure and a former UDD leader, said he viewed Suthep's action as signifying he's back in politics.

"He is continuing his political life. The foundation he is establishing is a political organisation as well. In the future, there might be more rallies and he might even send people to run in an election," Weng claimed.

"He can say it is a foundation or whatever he wants. But it's a political organisation in camouflage.

The red-shirt figure also questioned how the National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO) had allowed the former PDRC to hold such a press conference, as obviously it had political significance.

"People could question whether the military and the PDRC are on the same side. I'm worried for the NCPO," he said.

Ekkachai Srivilas, an NRC member, made similar remarks, saying there should be no double standards on political gatherings. If the NCPO allowed Suthep to stage such activities, then maybe others should be able to do the same thing.

To prevent other groups from following suit, the NCPO should be careful about the standard it is setting, he warned.

He added that this could be viewed as a way for Suthep to pursue politics.

The foundation could be backing a political party - be it a new one that might be created or the Democrat Party - he said, adding that it was the same as how UDD was associated with the Pheu Thai Party.

However, Tankhun Jitissara, a former Democrat MP, said it was too early to tell if the foundation would be political. But so far he agreed with it in its principles regarding "reform".

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/Sutheps-reform-foundation-gets-a-mixed-response-fr-30265589.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-07-31

Yep, it stinks, if NCPO let this go then it as good as admitting they all part of one big setup.

I was not a fan of pheu thai but i'm not a fan of this old lying thieving scum bag either, he is exactly the type of cockroach thailands reform needs to eradicate ...

Edited by BuckBee

How come he's allowed t hold a news conference but other politicians aren't?

Oh, I forgot, Suthep is a non-political politician. Made very believable by his posing as a monk for a while.

Reconciliation, Thai style?

Edited by dbrenn

Uncle Too must tread very carefully. He has now allowed what is clearly a political gathering to take place, albeit with the "right" side staging the meeting. I doubt that this will bring more happiness to the "wrong" side.

Maybe it would help if they did an extra recital of the 12 principles, a couple of brisk marches in the school yard and some flag waving??

Uncle Too must tread very carefully. He has now allowed what is clearly a political gathering to take place, albeit with the "right" side staging the meeting. I doubt that this will bring more happiness to the "wrong" side.

Maybe it would help if they did an extra recital of the 12 principles, a couple of brisk marches in the school yard and some flag waving??

Don't forget the singing and dancing.

Suthep "the people will decide"

so you support democratic elections? good to hear! all in the name of "the people" what a hero!!! anyone believe that? besides a few right wing TVF posters? na thought not

you can fool some of the people...

"They have approaches that are in accordance with the blueprint of the NRC, especially on political reform."

The PDRC is merely rubberstamping the NRC's reform agenda that is in reality the NCPO reform agenda. Why would that be necessary?

The benefit to the NCPO is that the PDRC foundation can operate "independently" to collect and spend private funds to garner public support for that agenda while the PTP must remain silent on any reform that is contrary to the NCPO reform agenda. And the Junta will use government funds generated by taxpayers to promote the same agenda.

The combination of this PDRC foundation with the Junta government will establishe a massive organization to promote the NCPO's draft constitution in the referendum. It looks like the end game is to get the NCPO draft constitution passed and put a pseudo-Democrat back into power. Simply a replay of the 2006 coup.

A reform foundation for others while he and his family continue to enjoy the benefits of plundering forests and land grabs in the south. His house in Phun Pin constructed entirely from rainforest timber cut from the Chiew Larn Dam project in the late 80's. Shady land deals on Samui and elsewhere in Surat Thani involving them for many years. Calling the kettle "black" at every turn....

Thailand surely needs reform but with Suthep on the top of that foundation I smell a stinking fish.

this rabble ruser has connections that we can not mention or wwe will wind up in the slammer! let's see how the "General" handles this! the rabble rouser has already violated the generals order against more than five people gathering! unless he is in bed with this A-----e he will have to take some action in order to preserve his no nonsense image!

He has allied it so closely to the PDRC, with a similar name, that it can only be a political party in disguise. I'm not opposed to it, but somehow there's a deceitfulness in all of this. Thailand needs straight shooters, K. Suthep, not more prevarication.

So, we have Suthep's supposed philosophy, which is over-arching but totally lacking in detail. It's a "gunner" philosophy - "I'm gunna do this, and I'm gunna do that ...". But where are the details? Anyone can spout gibberish about supporting reforms, but Suthep seems to have forgotten the minutae, the modus operendi, the paths of attack. All I'm hearing is hollow words.

Good to see more Thailand politics. I thought it was starting to fade a bit, but

I see that something is at least starting up again. Ewwww, and it looks like the Red shirt guy is

all miffed by this, and some of his followers as well.

I guess trying to get a country to become more democratic, takes a few tries.

Good Luck Thailand voters and citizens, please just do not be bought off

for your votes as you have been in the past.

Being democratic, means that you vote for who will be best to try run the country of

Thailand and help out the people of the country. It does not mean getting a few thousand baht to

vote in the richest person who wants to have the power of being in charge of

the majority vote.

In fairness I expect some red shirt leaders hold a conference in the name of reconciliation and be allowed to convey what they consider acceptable.

But of course it wont be allowed. Reconciliation is only for those that agree with giving the dems power.

"They have approaches that are in accordance with the blueprint of the NRC, especially on political reform," he said.

"The NRC's blueprint lays emphasis on reform of political parties and their system. I'm happy that Suthep also spoken about such reform. It is the right approach," he said.

So General, you stated no POLITICAL interests were allowed to gather, and here we have it in black and white... Hypocrite!!!

This new venture by Suthep is as political as it comes!!

Yep, it stinks, if NCPO let this go then it as good as admitting they all part of one big setup.

I was not a fan of pheu thai but i'm not a fan of this old lying thieving scum bag either, he is exactly the type of cockroach thailands reform needs to eradicate ...

Nail on head.

No mater how I look at this I can not fathom how this "foundation"can be construed as anything else except a political instrument.

Even disguised as a "Think Tank" it is still composed of members of a single political party whose ideology is based on a specific political mantra.

There will be no reconciliation as long as the same divisive players keep coming back for more. You know considering the BKK elite are supposed to be the 'educated' ones they seem incapable of learning from their own mistakes.

Suthep was hated in his own party for his level of corruption. Thaksin may as well be sitting right next to him talking about 'reforms. It's a load of horse poo frankly.