Anti-Abbott poster erected by Australian students sparks row over censorship

webfact

Anti-Abbott poster erected by Castlemaine Secondary College students sparks row over censorship

SYDNEY: -- A POSTER erected on the streets of a small Victorian goldfields town has sparked a war of words about democracy, censorship and public art.

The poster was plastered on hoardings opposite the public library in Castlemaine, not far from Bendigo, in March. The artwork was commissioned by the local council.

It features a black and white photograph of Prime Minister Tony Abbott and the words “Australia Needs an Abbott Proof Fence”.

It was put there by art students from Castlemaine Secondary College who had been studying the film Rabbit Proof Fence, the Bendigo Advertiser reports.

The students expected it to create some discussion, but never expected it to lead to calls for teachers to be dismissed.

“Education needs to be apolitical,” Mark Jackaman wrote on a petition labelling the artwork “disgusting” and demanding a formal apology.

Full story: http://www.news.com.au/national/anti-abbott-poster-erected-by-castlemaine-secondary-college-students-sparks-row-over-censorship/story-fncynjr2-1227462138349

news.com.au.jpg
-- News.com.au 2015-07-31

The news report doesn't say the poster has come down and as far as I could determine, the poster remains in place which is good. Nor is any violation of law presented in the OP.

So there's hope yet.

The support petition has three times the signatures of the oppose petition so that also could be encouraging news in a country that needs its restrictive communication laws and attitudes enlarged, expanded.

“Education needs to be apolitical,”

Yes, it should be. That doesn't mean students should be.

Nonsense. In education, presentation of political viewpoints must be balanced. Education shouldn't be apolitical. If it is apolitical or with only one side presented, you end up with students who can't independently think, like Thailand.

Nonsense. In education, presentation of political viewpoints must be balanced. Education shouldn't be apolitical. If it is apolitical or with only one side presented, you end up with students who can't independently think, like Thailand.

Apolitical is very different to "only one side presented". Education shouldn't be teaching a political view point. That doesn't mean that students can't have, or even discuss, their political view points in school, but the system shouldn't be teaching "their" political view point. Edited by whybother

Any expression of any political views should be allowed. Unless it is an infringement on other citizen's rights.

A poster should stay. Students should face no punitive actions.

Teachers - is another matter.

No political views or content should be allowed in lectures on any subject other than Political Studies.

In Political Studies Teacher's professionalism must be guaranteed by a balanced attitude and presentation.

Unfortunately, not only in Australia, too many Teachers are openly leftist and biased. Told from personal experience.

Any expression of any political views should be allowed. Unless it is an infringement on other citizen's rights.

No political views or content should be allowed in lectures on any subject other than Political Studies.

In Political Studies Teacher's professionalism must be guaranteed by a balanced attitude and presentation.

Unfortunately, not only in Australia, too many Teachers are openly leftist and biased. Told from personal experience.

I suspect that most people are to the left of you mate.

Interesting...

Tell me what your suspicions are based on?

Not that I really care, but... interesting facepalm.gif

Interesting...

Tell me what your suspicions are based on?

Not that I really care, but... interesting facepalm.gif

It's really not all that hard to be to the left of Abbott, in case you hadn't noticed.

Well they called the last boss te OLD WITCh but compared to ABBOTT she was CINDERELLA......... I would have married the old stick

Abbott should be derailed like he did the economy and the dollar

If there any hope for aussies that is young people who maybe one day will wake up.

Personally...I think it is too late.

This country is doomed for own citizens.

No one dare to protest on "Stalin" type government who now trying to make money on pensioners and age pension people.

Just gestapo country.

Please don't lecture me because I am old , sick , homeless and just a victim of this system trying to survive out of Australia on my poor savings until I will get my age pension ....if still available in 2 years or I will be still alive.

My best friend just died 3 days ago being just 55 who was refused full disability pension...

He has been diagnosed less then 2 years to live and one thing he wanted to see his fatherland country and be supported and his wife.

They refused him full pension....

He was so stressed that he got heart attack 3 days ago...and he died.

That is "Australian way " to treat people's this days.

Everyone is chicken in this country to say NO....to those bastards.

just gestapo country

Edited by gigman

An odd idea of art. But then most art these days is odd.

Not compared with most of the crap in the National Gallery! That has to be the greatest waste of taxpayers' money!! Hang on........... equalled by pensions for life for Gillard and Rudd.

Who cares

Very few, only news.com.au & a small regional paper, so far not reported in any other major media outlet.

In the bigger picture it's accurate that the Abbott government is endeavouring to shut down media reporting / critique on some of it's activities; this issue is getting lots of coverage as the Abbott government leans more and more to unacceptable right wing behaviour.

Edited by simple1

Well they called the last boss te OLD WITCh but compared to ABBOTT she was CINDERELLA......... I would have married the old stick

Abbott should be derailed like he did the economy and the dollar

the dick head Glenn Stevens (Reserve Bank) did that to help the corporations sell resources off cheaper ... and these corporations pay little to no tax . Chevron made about $3.2 billion, paid no tax and go a tax refund of $5.7 million <deleted> ...

Genghis Khan is to the left of you.

No one said that. However, it is unfair when instructors infuse a course with their own political views and compel students to behave in a certain manner.

If a teacher supports a particular view and is forceful in expressing that view, do you think it encourages a student to express a different views? Schools should be politically neutral. This is a common problem at many teaching facilities where an instructor's bias corrupts the educational process. It is common with instructors who hold extremist opinions, whether to the right or to the left.

"Please don't lecture me because I am old , sick , homeless and just a victim of this system trying to survive out of Australia on my poor savings until I will get my age pension ....if still available in 2 years or I will be still alive."

gigman, are you aware that recent changes to the old age pension qualification rules mean that you must be in australia on the day you apply BUT you must also have been in Australia for the previous 2 years.

A friend of mine had to return from Thailand 4 months ago to make sure he will qualify. Check the web site for more info